Re: [ScoutRadio] HF at Summer Camp?

  • frank@fmaynard.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 4, 2008
      On Fri, 4 Jul 2008, JonEMac wrote:

      > I'm off with our troop next week for Summer Camp.

      Have fun, and have great weather (I hope)!

      > Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did it work out?

      I did, this past week at Camp Rotary in Michigan, and it was fun. I've
      also done so in past years and worked quite a few. I brought the TS690
      powered by an old car battery, and an 80m doublet about 40 feet up in the
      trees (fed with ladder line). The main purpose was to get in the Canada
      Day contest and I made about 65 QSOs. Several of the boys were
      interested, as well as many of the adults and visitors to our site,
      including the camp commissioner. I tried to keep the SCCP schedule a
      couple times but there was just no response, but most of the hams I worked
      outside the contest were either scouts as a youth or involved currently in
      some way. I've found that if you mention you are at a scout camp, you'll
      frequently find out the other ham has a scouting connection as well.
      It's also great to put the boys on the air just to say hi, if they are up
      to it. Looking at my Bencher paddle, one boy said "Is that a telegraph
      key? I didn't know they still made those."

      I agree with Don - bring some wattage. QRP is fun, and can be a
      challenge, but unless you plan on working mainly CW or PSK31, you'll be
      frustrated. I had some trouble making contacts at 100w.

      If you can bring the materials to do so, try offering the radio merit
      badge, even if only for your own troop. The camp might even help spread
      the word and let you offer it camp-wide.

      Good luck and let us know how you do!

      --
      Yours in Scouting,
      Frank Maynard, NF8M
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 4, 2008
        I have taken my radio to camp several times and always had a great
        time. Only problem was we would run out of places for everyone to
        sit. The radio would be running off batteries, G5RV up in the tree,
        and we would have QSOs around the camp fire while sipping coffe and
        making cobbler in the Dutch Ovens.

        This year Gerber Scout Camp Reservation said they are going to have a
        radio in place all summer in one of the lodges for use. Of course,
        control operators will be present. I have not been to the camp to
        see if in fact, it has been setup. There are other camps in Michigan
        that due have permanent year around amateur stations setup.

        Take it and have fun!
        Best Regards,
        Rich "Doc" AC8AL

        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "JonEMac" <w2mc@...> wrote:

        > I'm off with our troop next week for Summer Camp.
        >
        > I'm debating taking either an Icom 706 or a Yaesu 817, for demo and
        > (perhaps) if anyone wants to work on Radio Merit Badge.
        >
        > Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did it work out?
        >
        > Jon
        > W2MC
        > ASM, Troop 48 Medford Lakes NJ

      • Phil Sohn (MSN)
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 4, 2008
          I'll be at Camp Baldwin in OR next week and hope to be operating using the Scout Camps Calling Protocol with my IC-7000 and a Alpha Delta dipole. I'm not sure of the camp schedule, so I don't know which days I'll be on the air.

          Phil
          K7APS
          ASM, Troop 573 Woodinville, WA

          Sent: Friday, July 04, 2008 9:49 PM
          Subject: [ScoutRadio] Re: HF at Summer Camp?

          I have taken my radio to camp several times and always had a great
          time. Only problem was we would run out of places for everyone to
          sit. The radio would be running off batteries, G5RV up in the tree,
          and we would have QSOs around the camp fire while sipping coffe and
          making cobbler in the Dutch Ovens.

          This year Gerber Scout Camp Reservation said they are going to have a
          radio in place all summer in one of the lodges for use. Of course,
          control operators will be present. I have not been to the camp to
          see if in fact, it has been setup. There are other camps in Michigan
          that due have permanent year around amateur stations setup.

          Take it and have fun!
          Best Regards,
          Rich "Doc" AC8AL

          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com, "JonEMac" <w2mc@...> wrote:

          > I'm off with our troop next
          week for Summer Camp.

          > I'm debating taking either an Icom 706 or
          a Yaesu 817, for demo and
          > (perhaps) if anyone wants to work on Radio
          Merit Badge.

          > Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did
          it work out?

          > Jon
          > W2MC
          > ASM, Troop 48 Medford
          Lakes NJ

        • Darryl Wagoner
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 5, 2008
            Hi Jon,

            My first year at camp with my troop, I took my radio. I got a warm
            welcome from the staff. Having a feel for the land, the next year I
            offered to do the Radio Merit badge. I had 25 in my class (this was a
            small camp). There was one young scout 12 or 13 that really got into it.
            I had one of the best locations in camp to set up. On the front porch
            of the office building overlooking the lake. It doesn't get any better
            than that.

            I got my start in ham radio from the Boy Scouts. It took me until I was
            about 40 to get my licenses, but I did. Chances are without being
            expose to it by the Scouting program I would have never considered it.
            I hope that some of the seeds I planted with the 3 years with my radio
            program will take root. You never know how a single event like this can
            touch a passion in a Scout.

            I would say go for it. Call the camp ahead of time and make
            arrangements. It is also a good idea to have some scheds so that you
            can get the boys on the air.

            Good luck and 73

            --

            Darryl Wagoner
            DE WA1GON an Eagle Scout

            LoTW DX/WAS nets - Easy way to chase paper

            Want a scholarship into the Millionaire Mind Intensive worth $2590?
            http://www.secretsofthemillionairemind.com/a/?wid=603891
          • Robert Bruninga
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 5, 2008
              > This year Gerber Scout Camp Reservation said they
              > are going to have a radio in place all summer in
              > one of the lodges for use...

              We had a similar offer for a permanent ham station at one of our
              camps. But try as we could, it was impopssible to keep manned,
              and so the typical scout would always see a padlocked door. And
              since he had to hike across camp to see if someone was there, it
              didn't take long for most scouts not to bother.

              So we came up with the two ideas:
              1) If there is such a site, then have a remote control link to a
              sign in the center of camp that lights up "ON AIR" when the
              shack is open, so that scouts can decide to take the hike...

              2) Put a permanent sign in the mess hall (or other central
              place) that announces "Ham radio demo this week in campsite
              _____________." This lets different troops and different dads
              at different times bring their own equipment and be available
              for mentoring where they are comfortable for a far greater
              amount of time, since they are required to be at the campsite
              with their troop much more often...

              Something like that. My web page (not updated in years ):

              http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html

              Good luck.
              Bob, Wb4APR
            • Zach Feinberg
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 5, 2008
                I will probably be operating at camp NoBeBoSco this week no schedule as of yet. will be using 20m (not with my call) as time allows.

                probably in mid afternoon and the evening.
                --
                73's,

                Zach
                KC2RSS
              • Jeff
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 6, 2008
                  I will be at Camp Tres Ritos in the NM mountains
                  the week of the 13th through the 19th and will be
                  teaching radio merit badge. I am taking an FT-817
                  and an Alinco DX-70 plus a VX180 for the trip between
                  vehicles. APRS on the way up and back. The link to
                  the APRS is on our club's website, www.pacarc.org

                  73 and hope to see you on the air

                  Jeff Montgomery
                  WB4WXD
                  Troop 424
                  Palestine, Texas
                • Dale Lamm
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 6, 2008
                    [ snip ]

                    Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did it work out?

                    [ end snip ]

                    Below is a link to something I wrote for a Scouting newsletter that might
                    answer your question. Starts on page 3. Still doing this. Main change now
                    (after two years) is I no longer take an IC-746 out in the field (too
                    delicate). My TS-480SAT or other radios that can survive in a typical mobile
                    situation do just fine. By that, I mean that if a radio can last inside an
                    automobile (with windows rolled down and dust blowing all over), it can
                    probably stand up to being used outdoors many times a year. Allow the
                    expensive radios designed for an air-conditioned room to sit at home.

                    http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/EagleSep2006.pdf

                    73 de NX8J
                  • JonEMac
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 12, 2008
                      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "JonEMac" <w2mc@...> wrote:

                      > I'm off with our troop next week for Summer Camp.
                      >
                      > I'm debating taking either an Icom 706 or a Yaesu 817, for demo and
                      > (perhaps) if anyone wants to work on Radio Merit Badge.
                      >
                      > Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did it work out?
                      >
                      > Jon
                      > W2MC
                      > ASM, Troop 48 Medford Lakes NJ

                      Hello all,

                      I'm back from summer camp (and TIRED), but for those who were
                      curious....camp went well, and much differently than I had expected.

                      Radio Merit Badge is, at this camp, dependent upon the schedule of the
                      amateur who run the classes, which makes it unknown until arrival if
                      the MB course will be offered. This week it was, and I attended the
                      first session on Monday night. I identified myself as a ham, and also
                      as a counselor for Radio MB. Additional sessions were planned for
                      Wednesday and Thursday.

                      Tuesday, I set-up the IC-706 and a tuner feeding a low 80 M dipole
                      (only up about 20 feet), powered by a 20 AH gell cell, and did a
                      little bit of operating that evening, as well as plugging the Radio
                      merit badge for my own troop. I figured that it would be good for the
                      Wednesday session; we'd be able to run contacts back and forth, and
                      not have to hope for propagation.

                      During breakfast on Wednesday, our Troop gets a message...the
                      instructor's car broke down, and he suggested the camp find me, as his
                      car wouldn't be fixed until late that day. So for about half of
                      Wednesday, I taught Radio to a mixed class of Boy Scouts from my own
                      and several other troops. The classes went well, I was able to make
                      sufficient contacts to complete everyone's requirements, as well as
                      discuss the other requirements with those that had missed the first
                      session.

                      Thursday, we sorted all of the merit badge information (we had 13
                      total), and after the last session chased some DX on the camp station.
                      The Spratley Islands were coming in, but we weren't able to break the
                      pile-up.

                      Friday evening, I took the in-camp station down, in preparation for
                      check-out Saturday morning.

                      As IU mentioned earlier - a little different.

                      Jon
                      W2MC