RE: [ScoutRadio] HF at Summer Camp?

  • Dan Fisher
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 4, 2008

      I’d take the 706. You have the option of going QRP if you want, but with sunspots how they are (or, aren’t!), you might want the QRO option. I’ve taken HF to camp and it’s always a hit. You won’t go wrong!

      73,

      Dan

      Dan Fisher, AI4GK

      Public Information Officer, Southern Florida Section ARRL, the national association for Amateur Radio (www.arrl.org)

      Public Information Officer and Public Service Chairman, Platinum Coast Amateur Radio Society (www.pcars.org)

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 4, 2008
        > I'm off with our troop next week for Summer Camp.
        > Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did it work
        out?

        Remember, the Best way to get the most boys involved is to hang
        a big sign in the mess hall something like this:

        HAM Radio Demonstrations
        THIS WEEK in site __________________

        This lets the dad that brings the radio stay in his campsite
        where he probably has assigned duties, but it also lets other
        scouts come visit.

        Bob, WB4APR
      • frank@fmaynard.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 4, 2008
          On Fri, 4 Jul 2008, JonEMac wrote:

          > I'm off with our troop next week for Summer Camp.

          Have fun, and have great weather (I hope)!

          > Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did it work out?

          I did, this past week at Camp Rotary in Michigan, and it was fun. I've
          also done so in past years and worked quite a few. I brought the TS690
          powered by an old car battery, and an 80m doublet about 40 feet up in the
          trees (fed with ladder line). The main purpose was to get in the Canada
          Day contest and I made about 65 QSOs. Several of the boys were
          interested, as well as many of the adults and visitors to our site,
          including the camp commissioner. I tried to keep the SCCP schedule a
          couple times but there was just no response, but most of the hams I worked
          outside the contest were either scouts as a youth or involved currently in
          some way. I've found that if you mention you are at a scout camp, you'll
          frequently find out the other ham has a scouting connection as well.
          It's also great to put the boys on the air just to say hi, if they are up
          to it. Looking at my Bencher paddle, one boy said "Is that a telegraph
          key? I didn't know they still made those."

          I agree with Don - bring some wattage. QRP is fun, and can be a
          challenge, but unless you plan on working mainly CW or PSK31, you'll be
          frustrated. I had some trouble making contacts at 100w.

          If you can bring the materials to do so, try offering the radio merit
          badge, even if only for your own troop. The camp might even help spread
          the word and let you offer it camp-wide.

          Good luck and let us know how you do!

          --
          Yours in Scouting,
          Frank Maynard, NF8M
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 4, 2008
            I have taken my radio to camp several times and always had a great
            time. Only problem was we would run out of places for everyone to
            sit. The radio would be running off batteries, G5RV up in the tree,
            and we would have QSOs around the camp fire while sipping coffe and
            making cobbler in the Dutch Ovens.

            This year Gerber Scout Camp Reservation said they are going to have a
            radio in place all summer in one of the lodges for use. Of course,
            control operators will be present. I have not been to the camp to
            see if in fact, it has been setup. There are other camps in Michigan
            that due have permanent year around amateur stations setup.

            Take it and have fun!
            Best Regards,
            Rich "Doc" AC8AL

            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "JonEMac" <w2mc@...> wrote:

            > I'm off with our troop next week for Summer Camp.
            >
            > I'm debating taking either an Icom 706 or a Yaesu 817, for demo and
            > (perhaps) if anyone wants to work on Radio Merit Badge.
            >
            > Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did it work out?
            >
            > Jon
            > W2MC
            > ASM, Troop 48 Medford Lakes NJ

          • Phil Sohn (MSN)
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 4, 2008
              I'll be at Camp Baldwin in OR next week and hope to be operating using the Scout Camps Calling Protocol with my IC-7000 and a Alpha Delta dipole. I'm not sure of the camp schedule, so I don't know which days I'll be on the air.

              Phil
              K7APS
              ASM, Troop 573 Woodinville, WA

              Sent: Friday, July 04, 2008 9:49 PM
              Subject: [ScoutRadio] Re: HF at Summer Camp?

              I have taken my radio to camp several times and always had a great
              time. Only problem was we would run out of places for everyone to
              sit. The radio would be running off batteries, G5RV up in the tree,
              and we would have QSOs around the camp fire while sipping coffe and
              making cobbler in the Dutch Ovens.

              This year Gerber Scout Camp Reservation said they are going to have a
              radio in place all summer in one of the lodges for use. Of course,
              control operators will be present. I have not been to the camp to
              see if in fact, it has been setup. There are other camps in Michigan
              that due have permanent year around amateur stations setup.

              Take it and have fun!
              Best Regards,
              Rich "Doc" AC8AL

              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com, "JonEMac" <w2mc@...> wrote:

              > I'm off with our troop next
              week for Summer Camp.

              > I'm debating taking either an Icom 706 or
              a Yaesu 817, for demo and
              > (perhaps) if anyone wants to work on Radio
              Merit Badge.

              > Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did
              it work out?

              > Jon
              > W2MC
              > ASM, Troop 48 Medford
              Lakes NJ

            • Darryl Wagoner
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 5, 2008
                Hi Jon,

                My first year at camp with my troop, I took my radio. I got a warm
                welcome from the staff. Having a feel for the land, the next year I
                offered to do the Radio Merit badge. I had 25 in my class (this was a
                small camp). There was one young scout 12 or 13 that really got into it.
                I had one of the best locations in camp to set up. On the front porch
                of the office building overlooking the lake. It doesn't get any better
                than that.

                I got my start in ham radio from the Boy Scouts. It took me until I was
                about 40 to get my licenses, but I did. Chances are without being
                expose to it by the Scouting program I would have never considered it.
                I hope that some of the seeds I planted with the 3 years with my radio
                program will take root. You never know how a single event like this can
                touch a passion in a Scout.

                I would say go for it. Call the camp ahead of time and make
                arrangements. It is also a good idea to have some scheds so that you
                can get the boys on the air.

                Good luck and 73

                --

                Darryl Wagoner
                DE WA1GON an Eagle Scout

                LoTW DX/WAS nets - Easy way to chase paper

                Want a scholarship into the Millionaire Mind Intensive worth $2590?
                http://www.secretsofthemillionairemind.com/a/?wid=603891
              • Robert Bruninga
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 5, 2008
                  > This year Gerber Scout Camp Reservation said they
                  > are going to have a radio in place all summer in
                  > one of the lodges for use...

                  We had a similar offer for a permanent ham station at one of our
                  camps. But try as we could, it was impopssible to keep manned,
                  and so the typical scout would always see a padlocked door. And
                  since he had to hike across camp to see if someone was there, it
                  didn't take long for most scouts not to bother.

                  So we came up with the two ideas:
                  1) If there is such a site, then have a remote control link to a
                  sign in the center of camp that lights up "ON AIR" when the
                  shack is open, so that scouts can decide to take the hike...

                  2) Put a permanent sign in the mess hall (or other central
                  place) that announces "Ham radio demo this week in campsite
                  _____________." This lets different troops and different dads
                  at different times bring their own equipment and be available
                  for mentoring where they are comfortable for a far greater
                  amount of time, since they are required to be at the campsite
                  with their troop much more often...

                  Something like that. My web page (not updated in years ):

                  http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html

                  Good luck.
                  Bob, Wb4APR
                • Zach Feinberg
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 5, 2008
                    I will probably be operating at camp NoBeBoSco this week no schedule as of yet. will be using 20m (not with my call) as time allows.

                    probably in mid afternoon and the evening.
                    --
                    73's,

                    Zach
                    KC2RSS
                  • Jeff
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 6, 2008
                      I will be at Camp Tres Ritos in the NM mountains
                      the week of the 13th through the 19th and will be
                      teaching radio merit badge. I am taking an FT-817
                      and an Alinco DX-70 plus a VX180 for the trip between
                      vehicles. APRS on the way up and back. The link to
                      the APRS is on our club's website, www.pacarc.org

                      73 and hope to see you on the air

                      Jeff Montgomery
                      WB4WXD
                      Troop 424
                      Palestine, Texas
                    • Dale Lamm
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 6, 2008
                        [ snip ]

                        Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did it work out?

                        [ end snip ]

                        Below is a link to something I wrote for a Scouting newsletter that might
                        answer your question. Starts on page 3. Still doing this. Main change now
                        (after two years) is I no longer take an IC-746 out in the field (too
                        delicate). My TS-480SAT or other radios that can survive in a typical mobile
                        situation do just fine. By that, I mean that if a radio can last inside an
                        automobile (with windows rolled down and dust blowing all over), it can
                        probably stand up to being used outdoors many times a year. Allow the
                        expensive radios designed for an air-conditioned room to sit at home.

                        http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/EagleSep2006.pdf

                        73 de NX8J
                      • JonEMac
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 12, 2008
                          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "JonEMac" <w2mc@...> wrote:

                          > I'm off with our troop next week for Summer Camp.
                          >
                          > I'm debating taking either an Icom 706 or a Yaesu 817, for demo and
                          > (perhaps) if anyone wants to work on Radio Merit Badge.
                          >
                          > Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did it work out?
                          >
                          > Jon
                          > W2MC
                          > ASM, Troop 48 Medford Lakes NJ

                          Hello all,

                          I'm back from summer camp (and TIRED), but for those who were
                          curious....camp went well, and much differently than I had expected.

                          Radio Merit Badge is, at this camp, dependent upon the schedule of the
                          amateur who run the classes, which makes it unknown until arrival if
                          the MB course will be offered. This week it was, and I attended the
                          first session on Monday night. I identified myself as a ham, and also
                          as a counselor for Radio MB. Additional sessions were planned for
                          Wednesday and Thursday.

                          Tuesday, I set-up the IC-706 and a tuner feeding a low 80 M dipole
                          (only up about 20 feet), powered by a 20 AH gell cell, and did a
                          little bit of operating that evening, as well as plugging the Radio
                          merit badge for my own troop. I figured that it would be good for the
                          Wednesday session; we'd be able to run contacts back and forth, and
                          not have to hope for propagation.

                          During breakfast on Wednesday, our Troop gets a message...the
                          instructor's car broke down, and he suggested the camp find me, as his
                          car wouldn't be fixed until late that day. So for about half of
                          Wednesday, I taught Radio to a mixed class of Boy Scouts from my own
                          and several other troops. The classes went well, I was able to make
                          sufficient contacts to complete everyone's requirements, as well as
                          discuss the other requirements with those that had missed the first
                          session.

                          Thursday, we sorted all of the merit badge information (we had 13
                          total), and after the last session chased some DX on the camp station.
                          The Spratley Islands were coming in, but we weren't able to break the
                          pile-up.

                          Friday evening, I took the in-camp station down, in preparation for
                          check-out Saturday morning.

                          As IU mentioned earlier - a little different.

                          Jon
                          W2MC