HF at Summer Camp?

  • JonEMac
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 4, 2008
      I'm off with our troop next week for Summer Camp.

      I'm debating taking either an Icom 706 or a Yaesu 817, for demo and
      (perhaps) if anyone wants to work on Radio Merit Badge.

      Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did it work out?

      Jon
      W2MC
      ASM, Troop 48 Medford Lakes NJ
    • Dan Fisher
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 4, 2008

        I’d take the 706. You have the option of going QRP if you want, but with sunspots how they are (or, aren’t!), you might want the QRO option. I’ve taken HF to camp and it’s always a hit. You won’t go wrong!

        73,

        Dan

        Dan Fisher, AI4GK

        Public Information Officer, Southern Florida Section ARRL, the national association for Amateur Radio (www.arrl.org)

        Public Information Officer and Public Service Chairman, Platinum Coast Amateur Radio Society (www.pcars.org)

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 4, 2008
          > I'm off with our troop next week for Summer Camp.
          > Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did it work
          out?

          Remember, the Best way to get the most boys involved is to hang
          a big sign in the mess hall something like this:

          HAM Radio Demonstrations
          THIS WEEK in site __________________

          This lets the dad that brings the radio stay in his campsite
          where he probably has assigned duties, but it also lets other
          scouts come visit.

          Bob, WB4APR
        • frank@fmaynard.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 4, 2008
            On Fri, 4 Jul 2008, JonEMac wrote:

            > I'm off with our troop next week for Summer Camp.

            Have fun, and have great weather (I hope)!

            > Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did it work out?

            I did, this past week at Camp Rotary in Michigan, and it was fun. I've
            also done so in past years and worked quite a few. I brought the TS690
            powered by an old car battery, and an 80m doublet about 40 feet up in the
            trees (fed with ladder line). The main purpose was to get in the Canada
            Day contest and I made about 65 QSOs. Several of the boys were
            interested, as well as many of the adults and visitors to our site,
            including the camp commissioner. I tried to keep the SCCP schedule a
            couple times but there was just no response, but most of the hams I worked
            outside the contest were either scouts as a youth or involved currently in
            some way. I've found that if you mention you are at a scout camp, you'll
            frequently find out the other ham has a scouting connection as well.
            It's also great to put the boys on the air just to say hi, if they are up
            to it. Looking at my Bencher paddle, one boy said "Is that a telegraph
            key? I didn't know they still made those."

            I agree with Don - bring some wattage. QRP is fun, and can be a
            challenge, but unless you plan on working mainly CW or PSK31, you'll be
            frustrated. I had some trouble making contacts at 100w.

            If you can bring the materials to do so, try offering the radio merit
            badge, even if only for your own troop. The camp might even help spread
            the word and let you offer it camp-wide.

            Good luck and let us know how you do!

            --
            Yours in Scouting,
            Frank Maynard, NF8M
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 4, 2008
              I have taken my radio to camp several times and always had a great
              time. Only problem was we would run out of places for everyone to
              sit. The radio would be running off batteries, G5RV up in the tree,
              and we would have QSOs around the camp fire while sipping coffe and
              making cobbler in the Dutch Ovens.

              This year Gerber Scout Camp Reservation said they are going to have a
              radio in place all summer in one of the lodges for use. Of course,
              control operators will be present. I have not been to the camp to
              see if in fact, it has been setup. There are other camps in Michigan
              that due have permanent year around amateur stations setup.

              Take it and have fun!
              Best Regards,
              Rich "Doc" AC8AL

              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "JonEMac" <w2mc@...> wrote:

              > I'm off with our troop next week for Summer Camp.
              >
              > I'm debating taking either an Icom 706 or a Yaesu 817, for demo and
              > (perhaps) if anyone wants to work on Radio Merit Badge.
              >
              > Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did it work out?
              >
              > Jon
              > W2MC
              > ASM, Troop 48 Medford Lakes NJ

            • Phil Sohn (MSN)
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 4, 2008
                I'll be at Camp Baldwin in OR next week and hope to be operating using the Scout Camps Calling Protocol with my IC-7000 and a Alpha Delta dipole. I'm not sure of the camp schedule, so I don't know which days I'll be on the air.

                Phil
                K7APS
                ASM, Troop 573 Woodinville, WA

                Sent: Friday, July 04, 2008 9:49 PM
                Subject: [ScoutRadio] Re: HF at Summer Camp?

                I have taken my radio to camp several times and always had a great
                time. Only problem was we would run out of places for everyone to
                sit. The radio would be running off batteries, G5RV up in the tree,
                and we would have QSOs around the camp fire while sipping coffe and
                making cobbler in the Dutch Ovens.

                This year Gerber Scout Camp Reservation said they are going to have a
                radio in place all summer in one of the lodges for use. Of course,
                control operators will be present. I have not been to the camp to
                see if in fact, it has been setup. There are other camps in Michigan
                that due have permanent year around amateur stations setup.

                Take it and have fun!
                Best Regards,
                Rich "Doc" AC8AL

                --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com, "JonEMac" <w2mc@...> wrote:

                > I'm off with our troop next
                week for Summer Camp.

                > I'm debating taking either an Icom 706 or
                a Yaesu 817, for demo and
                > (perhaps) if anyone wants to work on Radio
                Merit Badge.

                > Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did
                it work out?

                > Jon
                > W2MC
                > ASM, Troop 48 Medford
                Lakes NJ

              • Darryl Wagoner
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 5, 2008
                  Hi Jon,

                  My first year at camp with my troop, I took my radio. I got a warm
                  welcome from the staff. Having a feel for the land, the next year I
                  offered to do the Radio Merit badge. I had 25 in my class (this was a
                  small camp). There was one young scout 12 or 13 that really got into it.
                  I had one of the best locations in camp to set up. On the front porch
                  of the office building overlooking the lake. It doesn't get any better
                  than that.

                  I got my start in ham radio from the Boy Scouts. It took me until I was
                  about 40 to get my licenses, but I did. Chances are without being
                  expose to it by the Scouting program I would have never considered it.
                  I hope that some of the seeds I planted with the 3 years with my radio
                  program will take root. You never know how a single event like this can
                  touch a passion in a Scout.

                  I would say go for it. Call the camp ahead of time and make
                  arrangements. It is also a good idea to have some scheds so that you
                  can get the boys on the air.

                  Good luck and 73

                  --

                  Darryl Wagoner
                  DE WA1GON an Eagle Scout

                  LoTW DX/WAS nets - Easy way to chase paper

                  Want a scholarship into the Millionaire Mind Intensive worth $2590?
                  http://www.secretsofthemillionairemind.com/a/?wid=603891
                • Robert Bruninga
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 5, 2008
                    > This year Gerber Scout Camp Reservation said they
                    > are going to have a radio in place all summer in
                    > one of the lodges for use...

                    We had a similar offer for a permanent ham station at one of our
                    camps. But try as we could, it was impopssible to keep manned,
                    and so the typical scout would always see a padlocked door. And
                    since he had to hike across camp to see if someone was there, it
                    didn't take long for most scouts not to bother.

                    So we came up with the two ideas:
                    1) If there is such a site, then have a remote control link to a
                    sign in the center of camp that lights up "ON AIR" when the
                    shack is open, so that scouts can decide to take the hike...

                    2) Put a permanent sign in the mess hall (or other central
                    place) that announces "Ham radio demo this week in campsite
                    _____________." This lets different troops and different dads
                    at different times bring their own equipment and be available
                    for mentoring where they are comfortable for a far greater
                    amount of time, since they are required to be at the campsite
                    with their troop much more often...

                    Something like that. My web page (not updated in years ):

                    http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html

                    Good luck.
                    Bob, Wb4APR
                  • Zach Feinberg
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 5, 2008
                      I will probably be operating at camp NoBeBoSco this week no schedule as of yet. will be using 20m (not with my call) as time allows.

                      probably in mid afternoon and the evening.
                      --
                      73's,

                      Zach
                      KC2RSS
                    • Jeff
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 6, 2008
                        I will be at Camp Tres Ritos in the NM mountains
                        the week of the 13th through the 19th and will be
                        teaching radio merit badge. I am taking an FT-817
                        and an Alinco DX-70 plus a VX180 for the trip between
                        vehicles. APRS on the way up and back. The link to
                        the APRS is on our club's website, www.pacarc.org

                        73 and hope to see you on the air

                        Jeff Montgomery
                        WB4WXD
                        Troop 424
                        Palestine, Texas
                      • Dale Lamm
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 6, 2008
                          [ snip ]

                          Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did it work out?

                          [ end snip ]

                          Below is a link to something I wrote for a Scouting newsletter that might
                          answer your question. Starts on page 3. Still doing this. Main change now
                          (after two years) is I no longer take an IC-746 out in the field (too
                          delicate). My TS-480SAT or other radios that can survive in a typical mobile
                          situation do just fine. By that, I mean that if a radio can last inside an
                          automobile (with windows rolled down and dust blowing all over), it can
                          probably stand up to being used outdoors many times a year. Allow the
                          expensive radios designed for an air-conditioned room to sit at home.

                          http://homepage.mac.com/k2frd/EagleSep2006.pdf

                          73 de NX8J
                        • JonEMac
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 12, 2008
                            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "JonEMac" <w2mc@...> wrote:

                            > I'm off with our troop next week for Summer Camp.
                            >
                            > I'm debating taking either an Icom 706 or a Yaesu 817, for demo and
                            > (perhaps) if anyone wants to work on Radio Merit Badge.
                            >
                            > Has anyone else brought an HF rig to camp? How did it work out?
                            >
                            > Jon
                            > W2MC
                            > ASM, Troop 48 Medford Lakes NJ

                            Hello all,

                            I'm back from summer camp (and TIRED), but for those who were
                            curious....camp went well, and much differently than I had expected.

                            Radio Merit Badge is, at this camp, dependent upon the schedule of the
                            amateur who run the classes, which makes it unknown until arrival if
                            the MB course will be offered. This week it was, and I attended the
                            first session on Monday night. I identified myself as a ham, and also
                            as a counselor for Radio MB. Additional sessions were planned for
                            Wednesday and Thursday.

                            Tuesday, I set-up the IC-706 and a tuner feeding a low 80 M dipole
                            (only up about 20 feet), powered by a 20 AH gell cell, and did a
                            little bit of operating that evening, as well as plugging the Radio
                            merit badge for my own troop. I figured that it would be good for the
                            Wednesday session; we'd be able to run contacts back and forth, and
                            not have to hope for propagation.

                            During breakfast on Wednesday, our Troop gets a message...the
                            instructor's car broke down, and he suggested the camp find me, as his
                            car wouldn't be fixed until late that day. So for about half of
                            Wednesday, I taught Radio to a mixed class of Boy Scouts from my own
                            and several other troops. The classes went well, I was able to make
                            sufficient contacts to complete everyone's requirements, as well as
                            discuss the other requirements with those that had missed the first
                            session.

                            Thursday, we sorted all of the merit badge information (we had 13
                            total), and after the last session chased some DX on the camp station.
                            The Spratley Islands were coming in, but we weren't able to break the
                            pile-up.

                            Friday evening, I took the in-camp station down, in preparation for
                            check-out Saturday morning.

                            As IU mentioned earlier - a little different.

                            Jon
                            W2MC