New VHF unlicensed band?

  • Gary Thorburn
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 26, 2000
      I just read in Nov-Dec Monitoring Times that the FCC is authorizing
      a completely unlicensed operation, without antenna restrictions,
      in the VHF band, on some of the 151 MHz formerly commercial
      land mobile frequencies. This should be interesting. Does
      anyone know any more about this?

      -- Gary KD1TE

      gary@...
    • Jon Pearl W4ABC
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 26, 2000
        Long explanation:
        http://www.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2000/db0809/fcc00235.txt

        Short explanation:
        http://www.geocities.com/horseshoestew/radio2.html

        Jon Pearl W4ABC

        > I just read in Nov-Dec Monitoring Times that the FCC is authorizing
        > a completely unlicensed operation, without antenna restrictions,
        > in the VHF band, on some of the 151 MHz formerly commercial
        > land mobile frequencies. This should be interesting. Does
        > anyone know any more about this?
        >
        > -- Gary KD1TE
        >
        > gary@...
      • Don Dudley
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 26, 2000
          From the ARRL Letter dated 10-13-2000:

          * FCC set to authorize MURS: With no fanfare, the FCC is set to
          authorize a
          new Citizens Band Radio Service to be called the Multi-Use Radio
          Service, or
          MURS. The service, which came about as part of the biennial review of
          Part
          90 of the FCC's rules, will deploy five former Private Land Mobile
          Radio
          Service VHF "color dot" channels for voice, data and imaging
          transmissions.
          The channels, 151.82, 151.88, 151.94, 154.57 and 154.60--will be
          authorized
          for up to 2 W on an unlicensed basis under Part 95 of the FCC's rules.
          The
          establishment of MURS was buried within a huge Report and Order and
          Further
          Notice of Proposed Rule Making released this summer as WT Docket 98-182
          and
          PR Docket 92-235. The FCC said it will "revisit" the issue of
          allocating
          additional MURS channels "at a later date should additional support
          develop." The effective date to deploy MURS is pending completion of
          the FCC
          proceeding.--FCC

          --- Gary Thorburn <gthorbur@...> wrote:
          > I just read in Nov-Dec Monitoring Times that the FCC is authorizing
          > a completely unlicensed operation, without antenna restrictions,
          > in the VHF band, on some of the 151 MHz formerly commercial
          > land mobile frequencies. This should be interesting. Does
          > anyone know any more about this?
          >
          > -- Gary KD1TE
          >
          > gary@...

          =====
          Don Dudley - AC5YK

          http://im.yahoo.com/
        • Ray Brown
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 26, 2000
            From: Don Dudley <ac5yk@...>

            > MURS. The service, which came about as part of the biennial review of
            > Part
            > 90 of the FCC's rules, will deploy five former Private Land Mobile
            > Radio
            > Service VHF "color dot" channels for voice, data and imaging
            > transmissions.
            > The channels, 151.82, 151.88, 151.94, 154.57 and 154.60--will be
            > authorized
            > for up to 2 W on an unlicensed basis under Part 95 of the FCC's rules.

            My $0.02 worth... I recognized only the last two frequencies, at 154 MHz, as "dot" frequencies. Oh well. :-)

            Also, as was mentioned, everything but the kitchen sink will be allowed on them.

            I've put the "dot" frequencies in my 2m radio, for receiving only, and we have some interesting conversations going on
            these dot freq's... there's a McDonald's, an Arby's, Sam's Wholesale, Wal-Mart, a KFC, and a trucking company on 4 of the VHF
            dot freq's... interesting...

            _Ray_ KB0STN
            ADL, Den 3, Pack 77
            Ozarks Trail Council, Joplin, MO