RE: [ScoutRadio] Re: Dayton Hamvention and Boy Scouts

  • ai4gk@cfl.rr.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 21, 2008
      Bob,

      At our Spring 2007 ham-radio-based Camporee, we did a "lost scout" exercise. One of our local hams is very experienced in APRS. We would take a scout from his patrol, and send him with two scouts on staff, to a remote part of the camp. (Not a great distance, but where the view was blocked by a tree line.) The rest of the Patrol was divided into two groups: the searchers and the directors. The lost scout carried a box with an APRS transmitter. The directors watched on the laptop monitor, and directed the searchers, who also were APRS-equipeed, to the lost scout. That was one of the more popular activities.

      Jamboree might be too large an event to try and get everyone to participate, but it might be worth having it available for those who are interested. Off the top of my head I can't think of a catchier title than "Lost Scout," but I'm sure that there is one.

      73,
      Dan AI4GK
      (APRS call sign AI4GK-9)

      ---- Robert Bruninga <bruninga@...> wrote:
      > >> I am considering ordering an exhibit space
      > >> [for Hamvention in Dayton] so we can have a
      > >> continuing presence through the event.
      > >> Do I have any volunteers...for booth duty..
      > >> Does anyone have a suitable table-top display
      > >> for Scouting and ham radio?
      >
      > I am still pondering how we can use APRS at the National
      > Jamboree in 2010 and one thing we could do is have a small
      > poster on this topic and enlist signups of ham radio operators
      > that are going to Jamboree so we can see if we can get enough
      > APRS equipment together for Jamboree.
      >
      > My thinking is along these lines:
      > 1) Try to solicit Ham Radio Clubs to BUY (and donate) an APRS
      > device to be used at Jamboree by Scouts from their area. I
      > think there are about 2 dozen separate subcamps. This tracking
      > device would be mounted on their subcamp vehicle.
      >
      > 2) Get APRS displays at major sites, such as HQ, COMMS, Ham
      > Radio tent, Infirmary, etc...
      >
      > 3) Get volunteer operators to maintiain tracks on objects
      > important to logistics and operations...
      >
      > 4) Take voice check-ins and notification of object locations by
      > voice on ham radio and FRS.
      >
      > See: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprsevent.html
      >
      > Something like that.
      > Bob, WB4APR
      >

      > > Bill,
      > > If my schedule works out so I can attend, I would be able to
      > help out.
      > >
      > > Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
      > > Muskingum Valley Council
      > > Zanesville, OH
      > >

      > > Check out the UK Radio-Scouting page here at Yahoo!Groups.
      > >
      > > Now that you've got new licensees in your unit, why not have
      > > them subscibe to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadioYouth
      > >
      > > Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
      > > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/
      > >
      > > Great list of Scouting/Amateur Radio web sites:
      > > http://www.k1dwu.net/ham-links/clubs.-.scouting.phtml

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Larry Sack
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 24, 2008
        A most useful application of APRS at the National
        Jamboree would be to track the buses. As Internal
        Transportation Director in 2005, it was a very
        difficult thing to track buses and to make sure they
        were where they were needed. On the flip side, 2m
        communications was very iffy due to the vegetation and
        terrain. The buses go much further than just the
        Jamboree "loop" when they return to Wilcox for
        reassignment.

        Larry Sack, N8QNM

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
      • Robert Bruninga
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 25, 2008
          > A most useful application of APRS at the National
          > Jamboree would be to track the buses. As Internal
          > Transportation Director in 2005, it was a very
          > difficult thing to track buses and to make sure they
          > were where they were needed.

          Sounds like a great appliction of APRS! Is it 22 busses? Are
          busses something that the scouts ride frqeuently, or rarely..?
          I do agree that it sounds like a perfect need and should have
          APRS.

          I'd also like to have APRS involved in providing useful
          information on things that the kids would be personally
          interested in. That is, something that they need to know, and
          would be intrested in walking over to an APRS display now and
          then to get that information.

          Remember, APRS is not just vehicle tracking. It includes
          BULETINS and ANNOUNCEMENTS and OBJECTS, and just about any other
          kind of informaiton distribution as well.

          > On the flip side, 2m communications was very iffy
          > due to the vegetation and terrain. The buses go
          > much further than just the Jamboree "loop" when
          > they return to Wilcox for reassignment.

          Not a problem for APRS with all its digipeaters...

          Bob, WB4APR
        • Matt Murphy
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 10, 2008
            I will be able to help out at Hamvention. I've already talked to Bill
            but thought I'd update my post here.

            Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
            Muskingum Valley Council
            Zanesville, OH

            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Murphy" <kc8bew@...> wrote:

            > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Ragsdale" <Bill@> wrote:
            >
            > > I am considering ordering an exhibit space so we can have a continuing
            > > presence through the event. Do I have any volunteers who would like to
            > > do booth duty during the Hamvention? Does anyone have a suitable
            > > table-top display for Scouting and ham radio?
            >
            > Bill,
            > If my schedule works out so I can attend, I would be able to help out.
            >
            > Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
            > Muskingum Valley Council
            > Zanesville, OH

          • Paul Finch
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 10, 2008
              Hello,

              I will be there with two other Hams but I also have a trailer load of
              "Stuff" to sell while there so I can't really help a lot but would like to
              visit so please make sure we know what your space number(s) are beforehand.

              Paul Finch
              Troop 147 Azle, Texas

              I will be able to help out at Hamvention. I've already talked to Bill
              but thought I'd update my post here.

              Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
              Muskingum Valley Council
              Zanesville, OH

              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Murphy" <kc8bew@...> wrote:

              > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Ragsdale" <Bill@> wrote:
              >
              > > I am considering ordering an exhibit space so we can have a continuing
              > > presence through the event. Do I have any volunteers who would like to
              > > do booth duty during the Hamvention? Does anyone have a suitable
              > > table-top display for Scouting and ham radio?
              >
              > Bill,
              > If my schedule works out so I can attend, I would be able to help out.
              >
              > Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
              > Muskingum Valley Council
              > Zanesville, OH

              Checked by AVG.
              4:20 PM

              Checked by AVG.
              4:20 PM
            • Jon Pearl - W4ABC
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 10, 2008
                Hi guys.

                Since this thread's become a little stretched out, I thought I'd add a table
                in the ScoutRadio database, entitled "2008 Dayton Hamvention Scouter
                Availability."

                It can be found at:

                It provides for the exchange of basic information and the present table can
                be modified to suite your needs by anyone who's a list member.

                Fraternally,

                Jon Pearl - W4ABC

                >I will be able to help out at Hamvention. I've already talked to Bill
                > but thought I'd update my post here.
                >
                > Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
                > Muskingum Valley Council
                > Zanesville, OH
                >
                > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Murphy" <kc8bew@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Ragsdale" <Bill@> wrote:
                >>
                >> > I am considering ordering an exhibit space so we can have a continuing
                >> > presence through the event. Do I have any volunteers who would like to
                >> > do booth duty during the Hamvention? Does anyone have a suitable
                >> > table-top display for Scouting and ham radio?
                >>
                >> Bill,
                >> If my schedule works out so I can attend, I would be able to help out.
                >>
                >> Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
                >> Muskingum Valley Council
                >> Zanesville, OH
              • Jon Pearl - W4ABC

                  >I will be able to help out at Hamvention. I've already talked to Bill
                  > but thought I'd update my post here.
                  >
                  > Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
                  > Muskingum Valley Council
                  > Zanesville, OH
                  >
                  > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Murphy" <kc8bew@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Ragsdale" <Bill@> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> > I am considering ordering an exhibit space so we can have a continuing
                  >> > presence through the event. Do I have any volunteers who would like to
                  >> > do booth duty during the Hamvention? Does anyone have a suitable
                  >> > table-top display for Scouting and ham radio?
                  >>
                  >> Bill,
                  >> If my schedule works out so I can attend, I would be able to help out.
                  >>
                  >> Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
                  >> Muskingum Valley Council
                  >> Zanesville, OH
                • Bill Ragsdale
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 21, 2008
                    The Boy Scout Exhibit is proceeding well for the Dayton Hamvention.
                    If you would like to do booth duty explaining Scouting to hams please
                    go to
                    http://tinyurl.com/4qsbed (in the Database section here on Yahoo) or
                    email to the contact below. At least you can be added to our event
                    planning email list.

                    Bill Ragsdale's Forum talk slides may be downloaded from
                    http://YoloBSA.editme.com/Dayton

                    We are working on: a booth visitor list for followup, Registering
                    Scout camps with ham stations for a contact award system, a continuous
                    slide show of Scout/Ham events, signboard for photos.

                    We would like to add a series of rotating 5-10 minute booth talks on
                    topics like: knots for antennas, QRP for backpacking, teaching the
                    Radio Merit Badge, etc. Contact me if you would like to present your
                    favorite topic.

                    Bill Ragsdale, K6KN, cell 530-867-6241, bill@...
                  • Bill Cochran
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 12, 2008
                      First I would like to congratulate everyone's efforts at Dayton this
                      coming week. Matt (kc8bew) told me about the display and it sounds like
                      a great idea to promote Scouting and radio. I will be parked at the
                      Comet Antenna display, booths 56, 57 and 58 in the main arena. Just
                      look for the smart car on display. I plan on being at Dayton most of
                      the time from Wednesday thru Sunday. Please stop by and say hello. I am
                      looking forward to seeing the Scout Radio display and other Scouters
                      from around the country. If you have anything I can put on my bumper to
                      promote Scout Radio, please get me one and I will see that it gets on
                      my car. 73s