RE: [ScoutRadio] Re: Dayton Hamvention and Boy Scouts

  • Robert Bruninga
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 20, 2008
      >> I am considering ordering an exhibit space
      >> [for Hamvention in Dayton] so we can have a
      >> continuing presence through the event.
      >> Do I have any volunteers...for booth duty..
      >> Does anyone have a suitable table-top display
      >> for Scouting and ham radio?

      I am still pondering how we can use APRS at the National
      Jamboree in 2010 and one thing we could do is have a small
      poster on this topic and enlist signups of ham radio operators
      that are going to Jamboree so we can see if we can get enough
      APRS equipment together for Jamboree.

      My thinking is along these lines:
      1) Try to solicit Ham Radio Clubs to BUY (and donate) an APRS
      device to be used at Jamboree by Scouts from their area. I
      think there are about 2 dozen separate subcamps. This tracking
      device would be mounted on their subcamp vehicle.

      2) Get APRS displays at major sites, such as HQ, COMMS, Ham
      Radio tent, Infirmary, etc...

      3) Get volunteer operators to maintiain tracks on objects
      important to logistics and operations...

      4) Take voice check-ins and notification of object locations by
      voice on ham radio and FRS.

      See: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprsevent.html

      Something like that.
      Bob, WB4APR

    • ai4gk@cfl.rr.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 21, 2008
        Bob,

        At our Spring 2007 ham-radio-based Camporee, we did a "lost scout" exercise. One of our local hams is very experienced in APRS. We would take a scout from his patrol, and send him with two scouts on staff, to a remote part of the camp. (Not a great distance, but where the view was blocked by a tree line.) The rest of the Patrol was divided into two groups: the searchers and the directors. The lost scout carried a box with an APRS transmitter. The directors watched on the laptop monitor, and directed the searchers, who also were APRS-equipeed, to the lost scout. That was one of the more popular activities.

        Jamboree might be too large an event to try and get everyone to participate, but it might be worth having it available for those who are interested. Off the top of my head I can't think of a catchier title than "Lost Scout," but I'm sure that there is one.

        73,
        Dan AI4GK
        (APRS call sign AI4GK-9)

        ---- Robert Bruninga <bruninga@...> wrote:
        > >> I am considering ordering an exhibit space
        > >> [for Hamvention in Dayton] so we can have a
        > >> continuing presence through the event.
        > >> Do I have any volunteers...for booth duty..
        > >> Does anyone have a suitable table-top display
        > >> for Scouting and ham radio?
        >
        > I am still pondering how we can use APRS at the National
        > Jamboree in 2010 and one thing we could do is have a small
        > poster on this topic and enlist signups of ham radio operators
        > that are going to Jamboree so we can see if we can get enough
        > APRS equipment together for Jamboree.
        >
        > My thinking is along these lines:
        > 1) Try to solicit Ham Radio Clubs to BUY (and donate) an APRS
        > device to be used at Jamboree by Scouts from their area. I
        > think there are about 2 dozen separate subcamps. This tracking
        > device would be mounted on their subcamp vehicle.
        >
        > 2) Get APRS displays at major sites, such as HQ, COMMS, Ham
        > Radio tent, Infirmary, etc...
        >
        > 3) Get volunteer operators to maintiain tracks on objects
        > important to logistics and operations...
        >
        > 4) Take voice check-ins and notification of object locations by
        > voice on ham radio and FRS.
        >
        > See: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprsevent.html
        >
        > Something like that.
        > Bob, WB4APR
        >

        > > Bill,
        > > If my schedule works out so I can attend, I would be able to
        > help out.
        > >
        > > Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
        > > Muskingum Valley Council
        > > Zanesville, OH
        > >

        > > Check out the UK Radio-Scouting page here at Yahoo!Groups.
        > >
        > > Now that you've got new licensees in your unit, why not have
        > > them subscibe to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadioYouth
        > >
        > > Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
        > > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/
        > >
        > > Great list of Scouting/Amateur Radio web sites:
        > > http://www.k1dwu.net/ham-links/clubs.-.scouting.phtml

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Larry Sack
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 24, 2008
          A most useful application of APRS at the National
          Jamboree would be to track the buses. As Internal
          Transportation Director in 2005, it was a very
          difficult thing to track buses and to make sure they
          were where they were needed. On the flip side, 2m
          communications was very iffy due to the vegetation and
          terrain. The buses go much further than just the
          Jamboree "loop" when they return to Wilcox for
          reassignment.

          Larry Sack, N8QNM

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
        • Robert Bruninga
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 25, 2008
            > A most useful application of APRS at the National
            > Jamboree would be to track the buses. As Internal
            > Transportation Director in 2005, it was a very
            > difficult thing to track buses and to make sure they
            > were where they were needed.

            Sounds like a great appliction of APRS! Is it 22 busses? Are
            busses something that the scouts ride frqeuently, or rarely..?
            I do agree that it sounds like a perfect need and should have
            APRS.

            I'd also like to have APRS involved in providing useful
            information on things that the kids would be personally
            interested in. That is, something that they need to know, and
            would be intrested in walking over to an APRS display now and
            then to get that information.

            Remember, APRS is not just vehicle tracking. It includes
            BULETINS and ANNOUNCEMENTS and OBJECTS, and just about any other
            kind of informaiton distribution as well.

            > On the flip side, 2m communications was very iffy
            > due to the vegetation and terrain. The buses go
            > much further than just the Jamboree "loop" when
            > they return to Wilcox for reassignment.

            Not a problem for APRS with all its digipeaters...

            Bob, WB4APR
          • Matt Murphy
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 10, 2008
              I will be able to help out at Hamvention. I've already talked to Bill
              but thought I'd update my post here.

              Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
              Muskingum Valley Council
              Zanesville, OH

              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Murphy" <kc8bew@...> wrote:

              > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Ragsdale" <Bill@> wrote:
              >
              > > I am considering ordering an exhibit space so we can have a continuing
              > > presence through the event. Do I have any volunteers who would like to
              > > do booth duty during the Hamvention? Does anyone have a suitable
              > > table-top display for Scouting and ham radio?
              >
              > Bill,
              > If my schedule works out so I can attend, I would be able to help out.
              >
              > Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
              > Muskingum Valley Council
              > Zanesville, OH

            • Paul Finch
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 10, 2008
                Hello,

                I will be there with two other Hams but I also have a trailer load of
                "Stuff" to sell while there so I can't really help a lot but would like to
                visit so please make sure we know what your space number(s) are beforehand.

                Paul Finch
                Troop 147 Azle, Texas

                I will be able to help out at Hamvention. I've already talked to Bill
                but thought I'd update my post here.

                Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
                Muskingum Valley Council
                Zanesville, OH

                --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Murphy" <kc8bew@...> wrote:

                > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Ragsdale" <Bill@> wrote:
                >
                > > I am considering ordering an exhibit space so we can have a continuing
                > > presence through the event. Do I have any volunteers who would like to
                > > do booth duty during the Hamvention? Does anyone have a suitable
                > > table-top display for Scouting and ham radio?
                >
                > Bill,
                > If my schedule works out so I can attend, I would be able to help out.
                >
                > Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
                > Muskingum Valley Council
                > Zanesville, OH

                Checked by AVG.
                4:20 PM

                Checked by AVG.
                4:20 PM
              • Jon Pearl - W4ABC
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 10, 2008
                  Hi guys.

                  Since this thread's become a little stretched out, I thought I'd add a table
                  in the ScoutRadio database, entitled "2008 Dayton Hamvention Scouter
                  Availability."

                  It can be found at:

                  It provides for the exchange of basic information and the present table can
                  be modified to suite your needs by anyone who's a list member.

                  Fraternally,

                  Jon Pearl - W4ABC

                  >I will be able to help out at Hamvention. I've already talked to Bill
                  > but thought I'd update my post here.
                  >
                  > Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
                  > Muskingum Valley Council
                  > Zanesville, OH
                  >
                  > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Murphy" <kc8bew@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Ragsdale" <Bill@> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> > I am considering ordering an exhibit space so we can have a continuing
                  >> > presence through the event. Do I have any volunteers who would like to
                  >> > do booth duty during the Hamvention? Does anyone have a suitable
                  >> > table-top display for Scouting and ham radio?
                  >>
                  >> Bill,
                  >> If my schedule works out so I can attend, I would be able to help out.
                  >>
                  >> Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
                  >> Muskingum Valley Council
                  >> Zanesville, OH
                • Jon Pearl - W4ABC

                    >I will be able to help out at Hamvention. I've already talked to Bill
                    > but thought I'd update my post here.
                    >
                    > Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
                    > Muskingum Valley Council
                    > Zanesville, OH
                    >
                    > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Murphy" <kc8bew@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Ragsdale" <Bill@> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> > I am considering ordering an exhibit space so we can have a continuing
                    >> > presence through the event. Do I have any volunteers who would like to
                    >> > do booth duty during the Hamvention? Does anyone have a suitable
                    >> > table-top display for Scouting and ham radio?
                    >>
                    >> Bill,
                    >> If my schedule works out so I can attend, I would be able to help out.
                    >>
                    >> Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
                    >> Muskingum Valley Council
                    >> Zanesville, OH
                  • Bill Ragsdale
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 21, 2008
                      The Boy Scout Exhibit is proceeding well for the Dayton Hamvention.
                      If you would like to do booth duty explaining Scouting to hams please
                      go to
                      http://tinyurl.com/4qsbed (in the Database section here on Yahoo) or
                      email to the contact below. At least you can be added to our event
                      planning email list.

                      Bill Ragsdale's Forum talk slides may be downloaded from
                      http://YoloBSA.editme.com/Dayton

                      We are working on: a booth visitor list for followup, Registering
                      Scout camps with ham stations for a contact award system, a continuous
                      slide show of Scout/Ham events, signboard for photos.

                      We would like to add a series of rotating 5-10 minute booth talks on
                      topics like: knots for antennas, QRP for backpacking, teaching the
                      Radio Merit Badge, etc. Contact me if you would like to present your
                      favorite topic.

                      Bill Ragsdale, K6KN, cell 530-867-6241, bill@...
                    • Bill Cochran
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 12, 2008
                        First I would like to congratulate everyone's efforts at Dayton this
                        coming week. Matt (kc8bew) told me about the display and it sounds like
                        a great idea to promote Scouting and radio. I will be parked at the
                        Comet Antenna display, booths 56, 57 and 58 in the main arena. Just
                        look for the smart car on display. I plan on being at Dayton most of
                        the time from Wednesday thru Sunday. Please stop by and say hello. I am
                        looking forward to seeing the Scout Radio display and other Scouters
                        from around the country. If you have anything I can put on my bumper to
                        promote Scout Radio, please get me one and I will see that it gets on
                        my car. 73s