Radio-Scout ideas

  • Gary Thorburn
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 26, 2000
      Hi, I'm new to this list, so I hope this has not
      been talked to death...

      I've been completely unable to awaken any interest
      in 2m radio among the boys. Its as if they are saying,
      "big deal, why should I get a license to use a
      dumbed-down cell phone". They are partly right.
      Kids today take wireless communications for granted,
      and can't be expected to feel the thrill that most
      hams, particularly older hams, associate with radio.

      What HAS stimulated interest is a focus on how
      SIMPLE radio technology can be:

      On one fine JOTA day another ham had a great HF
      setup, so on an another picnic table, I threw
      a wire over a tree, and set up a $20 Ten-tec SW
      receiver kit that my son and I had built. You
      could count the parts on all fingers and toes,
      yet they were hearing European SW broadcasts and
      were astounded. One scout mom said, "so, you can
      hear internet radio without the internet?! WOW! "

      Another thing that worked: a couple weekends ago,
      the Knox Trail Council (Massachusetts) had a camporee
      with the theme, "Back to the Future"; focussing on
      "lost scout skills". You may notice that for the
      first time in Scout history, semaphore flags and morse
      code do not appear in the Scout handbook. So we
      brought them back! I did a morse code exercise,
      with lots of hands-on: Keys, vintage telegraph
      sounders, a scout telegraph set from the early '50s,
      and of course an HF transceiver out in the woods,
      showing that CW is still in use! A one-transistor
      ultra-QRP xmtr made it clear how easy it is to
      communicate without the massive infrastructure of
      TDM lines and internet that we all take for granted.
      The boys were fascinated!

      -- Gary KD1TE

      Troop 130 Committee Member &
      scout dad
      Maynard, Massachusetts.

      gary@...
    • Bob Bruninga
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 26, 2000
        On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Gary Thorburn wrote:

        > Hi, I'm new to this list, so I hope this has not been talked to death...
        > I've been unable to awaken interest in 2m radio among the boys....

        One subject that I have pretty well talked to death are FRS radios. But
        since you said you were new, I will just toss out the plug for $19 FRS
        radios as a great way to get them interested in radio.

        Great little 1/2 watt UHF HT's good for about 2 miles with 14 channels.
        We strongly encourage scouts to monitor channel 1 for others. etc..
        But I am sure you have heard all this before, so I wont belabor it..

        bob
      • Jon Pearl W4ABC
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 26, 2000
          Since your original posting on the subject of FRS, Bob, we've had quite a
          few join the group. In fact, since the beginning of this month another
          forty have joined. It may be time for you to re-post your original email
          message from earlier in the week. I think another twenty folks joined since
          JOTA and missed hearing of your experiences.

          If you take the time to do a search on the internet for FRS pages you'll be
          amazed at the numbers. If you read what's going on in the FRS newsgroups,
          these folks are hungry for technology - and all for a widely available half
          watt UHF radio that will never grow it's antenna any longer than is
          presently is.

          I think this is so-much-so because of the absolutely dismal availability of
          Amateur Radio gear or simple information pertaining to Amateur Radio and the
          absolute proliferation of these cheap little radios. I'm not saying it's
          anybody in the AR community is at fault. There are no fingers to point.
          It's just a fact. It's a small niche' market that we're in and FRS radios
          are available everywhere. I know that both information and radios are
          available as close as the nearest Radio Shack, but I don't consider RS a
          fair match-up against any of the mainstream AR dealers. "You've got
          questions - well the folks at RS have more!"

          I am planning on devoting quite a bit of space for the development of FRS
          pages on the ScoutRadio site. Others have done match-up's on radio vs.
          radio and how their PL schemes differ. Really you say? Yes! There are
          manufacturers out there that don't follow common PL line-up and this causes
          confusion.

          No Bob... I don't think you can talk FRS to death. The radios are cheap,
          available, not too complex and a great lead in to Amateur Radio. The next
          subject on the horizon will be GPS capable FRS radios...

          The ARRL Letter
          Vol. 19, No. 40
          October 20, 2000

          * FCC approves GPS-capable FRS: The FCC has granted, in part, a request from
          Garmin for a waiver of the Part 95 Family Radio Service rules [Sections
          95.193(a) and 95.631(d)] that will let the company make and market for a
          one-year trial period FRS transceivers capable of transmitting location
          information derived from the GPS on FRS channels. The FCC says Garmin must
          include information in the instructions accompanying the units that the
          capability to transmit GPS-derived location information is provided "for
          personal and public safety purposes" only and that no other use is
          authorized. Current FRS rules permit transmission only of F3E voice
          communications and CTCSS tones. The units must be designed to limit
          transmission of emission type F2D GPS-derived location information digital
          data bursts to not longer than one second and not more often than one burst
          every 10 seconds, to be actuated by the FRS user. The FCC declined to permit
          Garmin to manufacture units that can automatically poll other FRS units to
          determine their locations based on GPS-derived location data. The Wireless
          Telecommunications Bureau adopted the waiver September 28.--FCC

          Any thoughts on this Bob?

          Jon Pearl W4ABC
          Trustee WA4BSA