Dayton Hamvention and Boy Scouts

  • Bill Ragsdale
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 18, 2008
      I am Bill Ragsdale, District Chairman from Golden Empire Council in
      California. I am speaking at the Dayton Hamvention for amateur radio
      on the topic "Adventures with Elmer Baden-Powell, How Ham Radio Meets
      Boy Scouting" at the Hara Center, Saturday, May 17 at 9 AM.

      I am considering ordering an exhibit space so we can have a continuing
      presence through the event. Do I have any volunteers who would like to
      do booth duty during the Hamvention? Does anyone have a suitable
      table-top display for Scouting and ham radio?

      Bill Ragsdale, K6KN
      Trustee for W6BSA
      530-867-6241
      Yolo District
      Golden Empire Council
      Northern California
    • Dale Lamm
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 18, 2008
        Do I have any volunteers who would like to do booth duty during the
        Hamvention?

        I could handle 2-3 hours Saturday or Sunday.

        Dale NX8J
      • Gary Wilson
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 19, 2008
          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Ragsdale" <Bill@...> wrote:
          > I am considering ordering an exhibit space so we can have a
          continuing
          > presence through the event. Do I have any volunteers who would like
          > do booth duty during the Hamvention?

          That's great Bill. I can give you two hours or so on Friday or
          Saturday. Also, if you're running the forum, I can also explain how
          hams can easily run a Radio Merit Badge Day using the materials
          available on the web site I set up:

          http://k2gw.tripod.com/radiomeritbadge/

          >Does anyone have a suitable table-top display for Scouting and ham
          radio?

          It's funny but all of my table top display materials are geared to
          showing ham radio to Scouts, not the other way around. But there are
          lot of photos of our Radio Merit Badge Day as well as those
          of JOTA and K2BSA available on the web, so creating a few poster
          boards is a possible if it's a go. Bob has stuff on using APRS at
          camporees.

          Also, I bet BSA National has generic booth materials we could use as a
          starting point to add our radio pictures to.

          73

          Gary Wilson, K2GW
          Unit Commissioner
          Mercer Area District
          Central New Jersey Council, BSA
        • Matt Murphy
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 19, 2008
            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Ragsdale" <Bill@...> wrote:

            > I am considering ordering an exhibit space so we can have a continuing
            > presence through the event. Do I have any volunteers who would like to
            > do booth duty during the Hamvention? Does anyone have a suitable
            > table-top display for Scouting and ham radio?

            Bill,
            If my schedule works out so I can attend, I would be able to help out.

            Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
            Muskingum Valley Council
            Zanesville, OH
          • Robert Bruninga
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 20, 2008
              >> I am considering ordering an exhibit space
              >> [for Hamvention in Dayton] so we can have a
              >> continuing presence through the event.
              >> Do I have any volunteers...for booth duty..
              >> Does anyone have a suitable table-top display
              >> for Scouting and ham radio?

              I am still pondering how we can use APRS at the National
              Jamboree in 2010 and one thing we could do is have a small
              poster on this topic and enlist signups of ham radio operators
              that are going to Jamboree so we can see if we can get enough
              APRS equipment together for Jamboree.

              My thinking is along these lines:
              1) Try to solicit Ham Radio Clubs to BUY (and donate) an APRS
              device to be used at Jamboree by Scouts from their area. I
              think there are about 2 dozen separate subcamps. This tracking
              device would be mounted on their subcamp vehicle.

              2) Get APRS displays at major sites, such as HQ, COMMS, Ham
              Radio tent, Infirmary, etc...

              3) Get volunteer operators to maintiain tracks on objects
              important to logistics and operations...

              4) Take voice check-ins and notification of object locations by
              voice on ham radio and FRS.

              See: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprsevent.html

              Something like that.
              Bob, WB4APR

            • ai4gk@cfl.rr.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 21, 2008
                Bob,

                At our Spring 2007 ham-radio-based Camporee, we did a "lost scout" exercise. One of our local hams is very experienced in APRS. We would take a scout from his patrol, and send him with two scouts on staff, to a remote part of the camp. (Not a great distance, but where the view was blocked by a tree line.) The rest of the Patrol was divided into two groups: the searchers and the directors. The lost scout carried a box with an APRS transmitter. The directors watched on the laptop monitor, and directed the searchers, who also were APRS-equipeed, to the lost scout. That was one of the more popular activities.

                Jamboree might be too large an event to try and get everyone to participate, but it might be worth having it available for those who are interested. Off the top of my head I can't think of a catchier title than "Lost Scout," but I'm sure that there is one.

                73,
                Dan AI4GK
                (APRS call sign AI4GK-9)

                ---- Robert Bruninga <bruninga@...> wrote:
                > >> I am considering ordering an exhibit space
                > >> [for Hamvention in Dayton] so we can have a
                > >> continuing presence through the event.
                > >> Do I have any volunteers...for booth duty..
                > >> Does anyone have a suitable table-top display
                > >> for Scouting and ham radio?
                >
                > I am still pondering how we can use APRS at the National
                > Jamboree in 2010 and one thing we could do is have a small
                > poster on this topic and enlist signups of ham radio operators
                > that are going to Jamboree so we can see if we can get enough
                > APRS equipment together for Jamboree.
                >
                > My thinking is along these lines:
                > 1) Try to solicit Ham Radio Clubs to BUY (and donate) an APRS
                > device to be used at Jamboree by Scouts from their area. I
                > think there are about 2 dozen separate subcamps. This tracking
                > device would be mounted on their subcamp vehicle.
                >
                > 2) Get APRS displays at major sites, such as HQ, COMMS, Ham
                > Radio tent, Infirmary, etc...
                >
                > 3) Get volunteer operators to maintiain tracks on objects
                > important to logistics and operations...
                >
                > 4) Take voice check-ins and notification of object locations by
                > voice on ham radio and FRS.
                >
                > See: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprsevent.html
                >
                > Something like that.
                > Bob, WB4APR
                >

                > > Bill,
                > > If my schedule works out so I can attend, I would be able to
                > help out.
                > >
                > > Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
                > > Muskingum Valley Council
                > > Zanesville, OH
                > >

                > > Check out the UK Radio-Scouting page here at Yahoo!Groups.
                > >
                > > Now that you've got new licensees in your unit, why not have
                > > them subscibe to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadioYouth
                > >
                > > Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
                > > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/
                > >
                > > Great list of Scouting/Amateur Radio web sites:
                > > http://www.k1dwu.net/ham-links/clubs.-.scouting.phtml

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Larry Sack
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 24, 2008
                  A most useful application of APRS at the National
                  Jamboree would be to track the buses. As Internal
                  Transportation Director in 2005, it was a very
                  difficult thing to track buses and to make sure they
                  were where they were needed. On the flip side, 2m
                  communications was very iffy due to the vegetation and
                  terrain. The buses go much further than just the
                  Jamboree "loop" when they return to Wilcox for
                  reassignment.

                  Larry Sack, N8QNM

                  Be a better friend, newshound, and
                • Robert Bruninga
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 25, 2008
                    > A most useful application of APRS at the National
                    > Jamboree would be to track the buses. As Internal
                    > Transportation Director in 2005, it was a very
                    > difficult thing to track buses and to make sure they
                    > were where they were needed.

                    Sounds like a great appliction of APRS! Is it 22 busses? Are
                    busses something that the scouts ride frqeuently, or rarely..?
                    I do agree that it sounds like a perfect need and should have
                    APRS.

                    I'd also like to have APRS involved in providing useful
                    information on things that the kids would be personally
                    interested in. That is, something that they need to know, and
                    would be intrested in walking over to an APRS display now and
                    then to get that information.

                    Remember, APRS is not just vehicle tracking. It includes
                    BULETINS and ANNOUNCEMENTS and OBJECTS, and just about any other
                    kind of informaiton distribution as well.

                    > On the flip side, 2m communications was very iffy
                    > due to the vegetation and terrain. The buses go
                    > much further than just the Jamboree "loop" when
                    > they return to Wilcox for reassignment.

                    Not a problem for APRS with all its digipeaters...

                    Bob, WB4APR
                  • Matt Murphy
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 10 3:27 AM
                      I will be able to help out at Hamvention. I've already talked to Bill
                      but thought I'd update my post here.

                      Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
                      Muskingum Valley Council
                      Zanesville, OH

                      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Murphy" <kc8bew@...> wrote:

                      > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Ragsdale" <Bill@> wrote:
                      >
                      > > I am considering ordering an exhibit space so we can have a continuing
                      > > presence through the event. Do I have any volunteers who would like to
                      > > do booth duty during the Hamvention? Does anyone have a suitable
                      > > table-top display for Scouting and ham radio?
                      >
                      > Bill,
                      > If my schedule works out so I can attend, I would be able to help out.
                      >
                      > Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
                      > Muskingum Valley Council
                      > Zanesville, OH

                    • Paul Finch
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 10 5:43 AM
                        Hello,

                        I will be there with two other Hams but I also have a trailer load of
                        "Stuff" to sell while there so I can't really help a lot but would like to
                        visit so please make sure we know what your space number(s) are beforehand.

                        Paul Finch
                        Troop 147 Azle, Texas

                        I will be able to help out at Hamvention. I've already talked to Bill
                        but thought I'd update my post here.

                        Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
                        Muskingum Valley Council
                        Zanesville, OH

                        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Murphy" <kc8bew@...> wrote:

                        > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Ragsdale" <Bill@> wrote:
                        >
                        > > I am considering ordering an exhibit space so we can have a continuing
                        > > presence through the event. Do I have any volunteers who would like to
                        > > do booth duty during the Hamvention? Does anyone have a suitable
                        > > table-top display for Scouting and ham radio?
                        >
                        > Bill,
                        > If my schedule works out so I can attend, I would be able to help out.
                        >
                        > Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
                        > Muskingum Valley Council
                        > Zanesville, OH

                        Checked by AVG.
                        4:20 PM

                        Checked by AVG.
                        4:20 PM
                      • Jon Pearl - W4ABC
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 10 2:00 PM
                          Hi guys.

                          Since this thread's become a little stretched out, I thought I'd add a table
                          in the ScoutRadio database, entitled "2008 Dayton Hamvention Scouter
                          Availability."

                          It can be found at:

                          It provides for the exchange of basic information and the present table can
                          be modified to suite your needs by anyone who's a list member.

                          Fraternally,

                          Jon Pearl - W4ABC

                          >I will be able to help out at Hamvention. I've already talked to Bill
                          > but thought I'd update my post here.
                          >
                          > Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
                          > Muskingum Valley Council
                          > Zanesville, OH
                          >
                          > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Murphy" <kc8bew@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Ragsdale" <Bill@> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> > I am considering ordering an exhibit space so we can have a continuing
                          >> > presence through the event. Do I have any volunteers who would like to
                          >> > do booth duty during the Hamvention? Does anyone have a suitable
                          >> > table-top display for Scouting and ham radio?
                          >>
                          >> Bill,
                          >> If my schedule works out so I can attend, I would be able to help out.
                          >>
                          >> Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
                          >> Muskingum Valley Council
                          >> Zanesville, OH
                        • Jon Pearl - W4ABC

                            >I will be able to help out at Hamvention. I've already talked to Bill
                            > but thought I'd update my post here.
                            >
                            > Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
                            > Muskingum Valley Council
                            > Zanesville, OH
                            >
                            > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Murphy" <kc8bew@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Ragsdale" <Bill@> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> > I am considering ordering an exhibit space so we can have a continuing
                            >> > presence through the event. Do I have any volunteers who would like to
                            >> > do booth duty during the Hamvention? Does anyone have a suitable
                            >> > table-top display for Scouting and ham radio?
                            >>
                            >> Bill,
                            >> If my schedule works out so I can attend, I would be able to help out.
                            >>
                            >> Matthew Murphy, kc8bew
                            >> Muskingum Valley Council
                            >> Zanesville, OH
                          • Bill Ragsdale
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 21 10:19 AM
                              The Boy Scout Exhibit is proceeding well for the Dayton Hamvention.
                              If you would like to do booth duty explaining Scouting to hams please
                              go to
                              http://tinyurl.com/4qsbed (in the Database section here on Yahoo) or
                              email to the contact below. At least you can be added to our event
                              planning email list.

                              Bill Ragsdale's Forum talk slides may be downloaded from
                              http://YoloBSA.editme.com/Dayton

                              We are working on: a booth visitor list for followup, Registering
                              Scout camps with ham stations for a contact award system, a continuous
                              slide show of Scout/Ham events, signboard for photos.

                              We would like to add a series of rotating 5-10 minute booth talks on
                              topics like: knots for antennas, QRP for backpacking, teaching the
                              Radio Merit Badge, etc. Contact me if you would like to present your
                              favorite topic.

                              Bill Ragsdale, K6KN, cell 530-867-6241, bill@...
                            • Bill Cochran
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 12, 2008
                                First I would like to congratulate everyone's efforts at Dayton this
                                coming week. Matt (kc8bew) told me about the display and it sounds like
                                a great idea to promote Scouting and radio. I will be parked at the
                                Comet Antenna display, booths 56, 57 and 58 in the main arena. Just
                                look for the smart car on display. I plan on being at Dayton most of
                                the time from Wednesday thru Sunday. Please stop by and say hello. I am
                                looking forward to seeing the Scout Radio display and other Scouters
                                from around the country. If you have anything I can put on my bumper to
                                promote Scout Radio, please get me one and I will see that it gets on
                                my car. 73s