Re: [ScoutRadio] National Jamboree APRS Communications?

  • Frank Krizan
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2008
      Hi folks,

      As an FYI, I forwarded Bob's comments to Ray Moyer at BSA.

      73, Frank KR1ZAN
      Garland, TX

      On Feb 7, 2008, at 3:37 PM, Jon Pearl - W4ABC wrote:

      For info...

      I thought Larry was a list member but I can't find him listed in any of the 'management' files, so I may be mistaken.

      However, Jean Wolfgang (WB3IOS) 'was' a member but left the group in 2006.

      Fraternally,

      Jon Pearl - W4ABC
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 20, 2008
        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@...>
        wrote:

        > Subject: National Jamboree APRS communications
        >
        > I would like to form a team of APRS folks to see if we cannot
        > fully support the National Scout Jamboree in 2010 at FT AP Hill
        > in Virginia.
        >
        > We can do it.... We have the technology... We used APRS for our
        > Klondike Derby. Please see how effective it is on this page:
        > http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprsevent.html
        >
        > Do we have anyone who is on the inside that can help us see if
        > this is worthwhile doing?

        Bob:

        I like what you've done at your Klondike Derby. That sort of
        transmission of scoring information looks very promising for council
        and district camporees, klondikes, etc. across the country.

        But unless I'm wrong, Scouts at the National Jamboree mostly wander
        to whatever activity interests them as buddy pairs and not as
        patrols. There is no central scoring and rotation of patrols as at
        local events, but individuals get their ticket punched for
        participation for individual awards. Thus I see little need for
        transmission of scoring information to a central location.

        That said, there might be other uses for APRS at the National
        Jamboree such as tracking location of the leaders and trailers at the
        fun run, etc. Also, it might make sense to have an APRS station set
        up at each sub-camp for transmission and printing of messages to
        Scouts that arrive at K2BSA via NTS. The hard copy messages could
        then be placed in the Scouts Jambo troop's mail bin. Likewise
        outgoing messages to home via NTS could be originated at each sub-
        camp.

        Also tracking of ambulances, etc. might make sense.

        I'm sure others with more recent National Jamboree experience may
        have additional ideas.

        73

        Gary, K2GW