Re: [ScoutRadio] National Jamboree APRS Communications?

  • Jon Pearl - W4ABC
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2008
      For info...

      I thought Larry was a list member but I can't find him listed in any of the 'management' files, so I may be mistaken.

      However, Jean Wolfgang (WB3IOS) 'was' a member but left the group in 2006.

      Fraternally,

      Jon Pearl - W4ABC
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2008
        Hi folks,

        As an FYI, I forwarded Bob's comments to Ray Moyer at BSA.

        73, Frank KR1ZAN
        Garland, TX

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 20, 2008
          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@...>
          wrote:

          > Subject: National Jamboree APRS communications
          >
          > I would like to form a team of APRS folks to see if we cannot
          > fully support the National Scout Jamboree in 2010 at FT AP Hill
          > in Virginia.
          >
          > We can do it.... We have the technology... We used APRS for our
          > Klondike Derby. Please see how effective it is on this page:
          > http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprsevent.html
          >
          > Do we have anyone who is on the inside that can help us see if
          > this is worthwhile doing?

          Bob:

          I like what you've done at your Klondike Derby. That sort of
          transmission of scoring information looks very promising for council
          and district camporees, klondikes, etc. across the country.

          But unless I'm wrong, Scouts at the National Jamboree mostly wander
          to whatever activity interests them as buddy pairs and not as
          patrols. There is no central scoring and rotation of patrols as at
          local events, but individuals get their ticket punched for
          participation for individual awards. Thus I see little need for
          transmission of scoring information to a central location.

          That said, there might be other uses for APRS at the National
          Jamboree such as tracking location of the leaders and trailers at the
          fun run, etc. Also, it might make sense to have an APRS station set
          up at each sub-camp for transmission and printing of messages to
          Scouts that arrive at K2BSA via NTS. The hard copy messages could
          then be placed in the Scouts Jambo troop's mail bin. Likewise
          outgoing messages to home via NTS could be originated at each sub-
          camp.

          Also tracking of ambulances, etc. might make sense.

          I'm sure others with more recent National Jamboree experience may
          have additional ideas.

          73

          Gary, K2GW