Re: [ScoutRadio] National Jamboree APRS Communications?

  • Tony Wevers
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2008
      Bob,
      A recent (relative term) article in QST on the last National Jamboree listed several people that were involved there.
      One participant was Larry Wolfgang, WR1B a staffer @ ARRL HQ.
      If I recall, his email is:

      73
      Tony, N2JZW

      Robert Bruninga <bruninga@...> wrote:
      Subject: National Jamboree APRS communications

      I would like to form a team of APRS folks to see if we cannot
      fully support the National Scout Jamboree in 2010 at FT AP Hill
      in Virginia.

      We can do it.... We have the technology.. . We used APRS for our
      Klondike Derby. Please see how effective it is on this page:
      http://www.ew. usna.edu/ ~bruninga/ aprsevent. html

      Do we have anyone who is on the inside that can help us see if
      this is worthwhile doing?

      We fielded 13 APRS handhelds just for the local Klondike Derby
      just in our half of the county. Surely we can find enough
      assets for supporting the National Jamboree.

      Too many people think that APRS is only about GPS tracking and
      completely overlook the situational awareness, two-way comms,
      and logistics advantages of exchanging digital info overlayed on
      maps.

      I'd combine FRS voice reporting with APRS objects and trackers
      to get the maximum input, then displays at HQ, Infirmary, HAM
      radio tent, etc...

      Bob, Wb4APR

    • Jon Pearl - W4ABC
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2008
        For info...

        I thought Larry was a list member but I can't find him listed in any of the 'management' files, so I may be mistaken.

        However, Jean Wolfgang (WB3IOS) 'was' a member but left the group in 2006.

        Fraternally,

        Jon Pearl - W4ABC

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2008
          Hi folks,

          As an FYI, I forwarded Bob's comments to Ray Moyer at BSA.

          73, Frank KR1ZAN
          Garland, TX

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 20, 2008
            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@...>
            wrote:

            > Subject: National Jamboree APRS communications
            >
            > I would like to form a team of APRS folks to see if we cannot
            > fully support the National Scout Jamboree in 2010 at FT AP Hill
            > in Virginia.
            >
            > We can do it.... We have the technology... We used APRS for our
            > Klondike Derby. Please see how effective it is on this page:
            > http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprsevent.html
            >
            > Do we have anyone who is on the inside that can help us see if
            > this is worthwhile doing?

            Bob:

            I like what you've done at your Klondike Derby. That sort of
            transmission of scoring information looks very promising for council
            and district camporees, klondikes, etc. across the country.

            But unless I'm wrong, Scouts at the National Jamboree mostly wander
            to whatever activity interests them as buddy pairs and not as
            patrols. There is no central scoring and rotation of patrols as at
            local events, but individuals get their ticket punched for
            participation for individual awards. Thus I see little need for
            transmission of scoring information to a central location.

            That said, there might be other uses for APRS at the National
            Jamboree such as tracking location of the leaders and trailers at the
            fun run, etc. Also, it might make sense to have an APRS station set
            up at each sub-camp for transmission and printing of messages to
            Scouts that arrive at K2BSA via NTS. The hard copy messages could
            then be placed in the Scouts Jambo troop's mail bin. Likewise
            outgoing messages to home via NTS could be originated at each sub-
            camp.

            Also tracking of ambulances, etc. might make sense.

            I'm sure others with more recent National Jamboree experience may
            have additional ideas.

            73

            Gary, K2GW