Re: Radio Merit Badge Day - Saturday January 5, 2008

  • Gary Wilson
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 9, 2007
      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Dale Lamm" <DaleLamm@...> wrote:
      > The fact that the site is ad supported is of small consequence when
      one considers the high value of the Scouting information offered.

      Thanks Dale for the nice comments. Hopefully, hams will use the
      information to ensure that such an event is run annually in every
      council across the country. That would give 18,000 Scouts a year an
      opportunity to earn Radio Merit Badge.

      I was suprised about the complaints from the Ham community this year
      about the ads, so yesterday I agreed to pay Tripod $60 a year to make
      the site ad free. Donations to my callbook address to offset this
      expense will be gratefully appreciated and credited on the site.
      We'll then see if those who objected to them actually put their money
      where their mouth is. Consider this similar to a PBS pledge break ;-)

      Ironically, my similar Bird Study Merit Badge site on the same
      provider with similar ads has run six years without as complaint from
      the birding community.

      73

      Gary Wilson, K2GW
      Radio Merit Badge Counselor
    • Robert Bruninga
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 2007
        Remember, you can also use APRS to contact scouts around the
        world in real time.

        Just send an APRS message to CQSRVR with the first words as CQ
        SCOUTS and this will go to all other APRS stations in the world
        that have done the same thing. A great way to make random QSO's
        for special events, such as Mertit Badge Day.

        See: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprsjota.html

        Enjoy,
        Bob, Wb4APR

        Merit Badge
        > Day near Princeton New Jersey on Saturday, January 5, 2008.
        Our
        > program was featured in the March 2007 issue of CQ magazine.
        If
        > you're a Ham and wish to visit us and see how we do it so you
        can
        > replicate it in your area, just send me a message. You are
        more than
        > welcome to attend. All we ask is that if you're a Scouter you
        wear
        > proper Scout uniform and if not, dress neatly with a collared
        shirt.

        > Details on how to organize such an event are also online at
        >
        > http://k2gw.tripod.com/radiomeritbadge/
        >
        > As for Boy Scouts, we're limited to 60 Scouts and currently
        have 20
        > spaces still open. Boy Scouts who wish to participate should
        sign up
        > as described below, first come, first served. They can be from
        any
        > BSA council, but need to be registered in BSA as a Boy Scout
        (no
        > WEBELOS or Cubs as they are not eligible to work on merit
        badges).

        > 73
        >
        > Gary Wilson, K2GW
        > Radio Merit Badge Counselor
        > Central New Jersey Council, BSA
        >
        > ----
        >
        > Radio Merit Badge Day - Saturday January 5, 2008.
        >
        > Are you interested in helping people during disasters? Want
        to learn
        > about satellites and high tech electronics? Want your
        computer to
        > connect around the world via wireless? Think it would be cool
        > talk to Astronauts in space? Well, Radio Merit Badge Day at
        the
        > Sarnoff Library in Princeton Junction will held on January 5,
        > help Scouts earn this merit badge in a special one day course.
        Adults
        > interested in learning about radio are also welcome to
        participate.
        > The course runs from 9AM to 3PM.
        >
        > While the course is free, there is a suggested $5.00 voluntary

        > donation to help the Sarnoff Library recover it's documents
        damaged
        > in last April's flooding. To register for the course, please
        follow
        > the instructions shown at http://radiomb.home.comcast.net/ .
        The

        http://k2gw.tripod.com/onlineradiomeritbadge/