Radio Merit Badge Day - Saturday January 5, 2008

  • Gary Wilson
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 2007
      As an FYI, we will once again be running our annual Radio Merit Badge
      Day near Princeton New Jersey on Saturday, January 5, 2008. Our
      program was featured in the March 2007 issue of CQ magazine. If
      you're a Ham and wish to visit us and see how we do it so you can
      replicate it in your area, just send me a message. You are more than
      welcome to attend. All we ask is that if you're a Scouter you wear
      proper Scout uniform and if not, dress neatly with a collared shirt.

      Details on how to organize such an event are also online at

      http://k2gw.tripod.com/radiomeritbadge/

      As for Boy Scouts, we're limited to 60 Scouts and currently have 20
      spaces still open. Boy Scouts who wish to participate should sign up
      as described below, first come, first served. They can be from any
      BSA council, but need to be registered in BSA as a Boy Scout (no
      WEBELOS or Cubs as they are not eligible to work on merit badges).

      73

      Gary Wilson, K2GW
      Radio Merit Badge Counselor
      Central New Jersey Council, BSA

      ----

      Radio Merit Badge Day – Saturday January 5, 2008.

      Are you interested in helping people during disasters? Want to learn
      about satellites and high tech electronics? Want your computer to
      connect around the world via wireless? Think it would be cool to
      talk to Astronauts in space? Well, Radio Merit Badge Day at the
      Sarnoff Library in Princeton Junction will held on January 5, 2008 to
      help Scouts earn this merit badge in a special one day course. Adults
      interested in learning about radio are also welcome to participate.
      The course runs from 9AM to 3PM.

      While the course is free, there is a suggested $5.00 voluntary
      donation to help the Sarnoff Library recover it's documents damaged
      in last April's flooding. To register for the course, please follow
      the instructions shown at http://radiomb.home.comcast.net/ . The
      course is limited to the first 60 scouts who register online at that
      site. It's also important to read the e-mail you will receive upon
      registering, complete the pre-course reading and frequency chart
      assignment, as well as bringing a bag lunch that day.

      Additional online resources to help you understand the material are
      also available at http://k2gw.tripod.com/onlineradiomeritbadge/
    • Dale Lamm
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 2007
        [snip]

        Details on how to organize such an event are also online at

        http://k2gw.tripod.com/radiomeritbadge/

        Gary Wilson, K2GW
        Radio Merit Badge Counselor
        Central New Jersey Council, BSA

        [end snip]

        Gary,

        In case nobody has told you this lately, I want to pass along a giant Thank
        You and Job Well Done for your FB web site on radio merit badge.

        The fact that the site is ad supported is of small consequence when one
        considers the high value of the Scouting information offered.

        73 de Dale NX8J
      • Gary Wilson
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 2007
          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Dale Lamm" <DaleLamm@...> wrote:
          > The fact that the site is ad supported is of small consequence when
          one considers the high value of the Scouting information offered.

          Thanks Dale for the nice comments. Hopefully, hams will use the
          information to ensure that such an event is run annually in every
          council across the country. That would give 18,000 Scouts a year an
          opportunity to earn Radio Merit Badge.

          I was suprised about the complaints from the Ham community this year
          about the ads, so yesterday I agreed to pay Tripod $60 a year to make
          the site ad free. Donations to my callbook address to offset this
          expense will be gratefully appreciated and credited on the site.
          We'll then see if those who objected to them actually put their money
          where their mouth is. Consider this similar to a PBS pledge break ;-)

          Ironically, my similar Bird Study Merit Badge site on the same
          provider with similar ads has run six years without as complaint from
          the birding community.

          73

          Gary Wilson, K2GW
          Radio Merit Badge Counselor
        • Robert Bruninga
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 11, 2007
            Remember, you can also use APRS to contact scouts around the
            world in real time.

            Just send an APRS message to CQSRVR with the first words as CQ
            SCOUTS and this will go to all other APRS stations in the world
            that have done the same thing. A great way to make random QSO's
            for special events, such as Mertit Badge Day.

            See: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprsjota.html

            Enjoy,
            Bob, Wb4APR