Final List of UK JOTA stations

  • Malcolm - G4CXT
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 19, 2007
      This is downloadable from this page:

      http://www.radio-scouting.org.uk/index.php?module=article&view=15&MMN_position=32:32

      There are about 160 stations planned for JOTA across the UK this year - significantly more than in the past few JOTAs

      Good DX everybody!

      Malcolm - G4CXT, GB50DDS

    • Robert Bruninga
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 22, 2007
        Ideal Ham Demo station?

        I have always thought that the ideal ham radio demo station for
        kids would just be a bunch of HF receivers and let the kids tune
        around the bands. This would keep those idle hands busy while
        waiting their turn at the JOTA TX station. But that is
        impossible due to receiver overload... Unless!...

        What if we put up a Kenwood TS-2000 operating as a SKYCOMMAND
        remote base a few miles away and control it from the JOTA site
        over VHF/UHF link (skycommand). Then the TRANSMITTER is far far
        away and will not overload all the receivers.

        We don't even need to mention this link. The operator still has
        a rig and front panel in front of him... And he has full control
        of his TX frequency... but we can have a LOT more receivers on
        the air listening across the band for the kids. In fact, all
        these receivers can do the spotting for the single TX station.

        Problem is, this is a single point failure system. However, the
        fall back is simply that opearations would default back to
        normal with the TX at the site.

        Just an idea.

        But if it worked, then the scenario for each troop as they came
        by might be:

        After the usual explaination, let the kids dial around and see
        what other stations they can find (with a little chart and
        supervision to show them best where to listen). I think tuning
        the radio themselves and seeing what they can hear is a pretty
        valuable experience that we have not been able to do in the
        past. We could get dozens of HF rigs set up as receivers easily
        enough...

        In my old age, I am less and less excited at putting a lot of
        technology in front of a simple process, but if others see the
        benefit of letting the kids tune around the band as worthwhile,
        then it might be worth the effort.

        Just a thought.

        Bob, WB4APR