Re: [scoutradio] Jota

  • William H Schwarting
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2000
      Jon Pearl W4ABC Thank you for your time and assistance. It
      turns out that there really was a call, N1T....a special event call
      with a very short life span just for the JOTA and the person to whom we
      owe our thanks is N1YEW , Andrew Kelley . By the way....Jon, You
      have a great call ABC . 73 Bill WR2L
    • wr2l@juno.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 24, 2000
        Saturdayof the jota event I had boys here to demonstrate ham radio. These
        boys are from Scout Troop 15, St John the Evangelist School in
        Schenectady, NY . We worked a special event station in the area of
        Plymouth or Carver , Mass that had a special event station call . That
        station offered to send a QSL card for two of the boys who spoke on the
        air. I wished to send a cover letter, our QSL and an SASE asking for
        cards for the Tenderfeet. Somehow , we had a hard time copying the
        special event call accurately and only copied N1T and QRZ could not
        help us. The operator was " Wheat" who said that he lived in Carver,
        Mass. Any info that can be given to us about thespecial event call and
        address of that station will be appreciated. I want to serve these boys
        who were our visitors. 73 Bill <WR2L@...>
      • Don L. Jackson
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 24, 2000
          Try: http://ncvec.spindle.net/html/moreinfo.cfm?ID=1263

          It will give you the info you want I believe.

          73,
          Don AE5K

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 24, 2000
            That was fast service. Thank you so much for the info on N1T 73
            Bill WR2L
          • Jon Pearl W4ABC
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 25, 2000
              QRZ name search (Carver Mass.) revealed:
              BRENNAN, PETER A. N1TIY CARVER, MA

              Callsign: N1TIY Class: Technician Codes: HAI USA
              Name: PETER A. BRENNAN
              Addr1: 1 CANTERBURY PATH
              Addr2: CARVER, MA 02330
              Country: USA
              Effective: 25 Oct 1994 Expires: 25 Oct 2004

              ...and now you know the REST of the story!

              YIS

              Jon Pearl W4ABC

              > Saturdayof the jota event I had boys here to demonstrate ham radio. These
              > boys are from Scout Troop 15, St John the Evangelist School in
              > Schenectady, NY . We worked a special event station in the area of
              > Plymouth or Carver , Mass that had a special event station call . That
              > station offered to send a QSL card for two of the boys who spoke on the
              > air. I wished to send a cover letter, our QSL and an SASE asking for
              > cards for the Tenderfeet. Somehow , we had a hard time copying the
              > special event call accurately and only copied N1T and QRZ could not
              > help us. The operator was " Wheat" who said that he lived in Carver,
              > Mass. Any info that can be given to us about thespecial event call and
              > address of that station will be appreciated. I want to serve these boys
              > who were our visitors. 73 Bill <WR2L@...>
              >
              > eGroups Sponsor

            • Jon Pearl W4ABC
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 25, 2000
                Great Bill!

                I did receive an email from Don AE5K after posting my email. I hadn't read
                his email before sending mine, but given the fact that the partial call and
                QTH matched, I might have sent it anyway, with an adviso.

                Thanks for the compliments on the call. It cost me 13 bucks to get a
                callsign that was born on 1934. Not a bad deal by any standard. It's a
                little shorter than WA4LTX; is prettier; but doesn't play as well on DX.
                There's nothing like throwing an ((( X-RAY))) out there to catch their ear!
                "CHARLIE" - "CHARLIE" - see... doesn't really inspire one.

                **************
                Well I hope everybody had a great JOTA weekend. I, along with my
                compatriots here in the West Central Florida Council BSA are going to have
                to promote JOTA as never before. Our fall camporee(s) for all of our
                districts will be taking place this weekend. I'm located in the Skyway
                district and we'll be camping in the Green Swamp, in central Florida. Our
                theme will be the Pioneering MB, and as such, the boys time will be filled
                with making their way through the myriad of MB stations to complete their
                MB. I am in charge of safety and first aid, so I can't stray too far from
                the center of camp.

                Typically our council shifts every other year, from Council Encampment (best
                for radio) to District Encampment. For some reason, we are doing the
                District thing - two years in a row. It really leaves no time for a
                dedicated JOTA operation.

                As I have seen from some of your operations, it appears that you've not only
                dedicated a great amount of time to making your JOTA a GREAT EVENT, but
                making it THE EVENT!

                73,

                Jon Pearl W4ABC
                WA4BSA

                > Jon Pearl W4ABC Thank you for your time and assistance. It
                > turns out that there really was a call, N1T....a special event call
                > with a very short life span just for the JOTA and the person to whom we
                > owe our thanks is N1YEW , Andrew Kelley . By the way....Jon, You
                > have a great call ABC . 73 Bill WR2L

              • Anders Lorenzen
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 17, 2013
                  Under JOTA we can be followed on Twitter, where our frequency and
                  other updates will come.
                  Follow us on https://twitter.com/OZ2KVG

                  Echolink: 501970

                  Best regards from OZ2KVG / J