JOTA Operation

  • Matt Murphy
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 10, 2007
      We will be putting the Muskingum Valley Scout Reservation on the air
      for JOTA. The plans are for 2 HF stations, Foxhunting, QRP/CW,
      Satellite, and we should have APRS as well. We will be using call
      signs WB8TRK and KC8BEW for certain. operations will be Sat. only
      from 09:00est till night.

      On a side note, I have been thinking of doing an ambitious project.
      Just like IOTA, ARLHS, and others, I was thinking of putting together an
      identification system for scout camps. Right now only BSA. I know
      some camps have difficult to spell names (let alone pronouncing them)
      and on events like JOTA, an ID number could be given to make it
      simpler. It would make it easier for the CW ops as well.

      If anyone else knows of this already done, please pass it on! I am
      open to your thoughts and suggestions.

      Matthew, kc8bew
    • frank@fmaynard.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 10, 2007
        On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Matt Murphy wrote:

        > I was thinking of putting together an identification system for scout
        > camps.

        That sounds like a good idea, especially if there is a listing easily
        available online. Perhaps a numbering system corresponding to region like
        what's used with Wood Badge courses, e.g. C-123 or NE-45, or by using the
        council number and a letter or number for the specific camp, so that for
        example Clinton Valley Council (ours) would be 276A for Camp Agawam and
        276L for Lost Lake. Or maybe BSA276L.

        Of course, if each camp had a club call, you could just use those. But a
        numbering system woud allow visiting operators to sign their location.

        You could also use that numbering system in the exchange info of a Scout
        Radio contest if there were to be one.

        --
        Yours in Scouting,
        Frank Maynard, NF8M
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 11, 2007
          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, frank@... wrote:

          > That sounds like a good idea, especially if there is a listing easily
          > available online.

          I am trying to locate a list now. I have sent a letter to National
          about it. I would think (hope) that they would have some sort of a
          list or a way to create it. I'll keep all informed.
        • Ted Horishny
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 12, 2007
            Greetings to all,
            Just a post to inform the group that Troop 313, Theodore Roosevelt
            council will be active 40 and 20 meters on Oct 20 during our annual
            Weblos open house. Please visit our website www.bsatroop313.org for
            photos of last years JOTA operation.
            Yours in Scouting and 73,
            Ted WT2G