Re: JOTA PLANS

  • Dale Lamm
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 9, 2007
      Hi Barry,

      I have used a TS-480SAT in the field this year with a Rigblaster plus. Have always let the software (MMTTY, MMSSTV, Digipan) generate a tone, then run the rig in SSB. I realize some rigs permit direct FSK and the computer then diddles one of the RS-232 leads to effect a shift. This may be theoretically better, but I have never had a problem using tones and SSB. Just narrow down the DSP receive filter on the TS-480 to pass only what you are trying to receive. Sure makes for a less complicated setup.

      Will be watching/listening for W1S.

      On another matter (to all lurkers), a small batch of JOTA patches arrived today from Irving, TX. They are really sharp. I ordered them over a month ago, they must have recently arrived from the manufacturer.

      To avoid the disappointment of sending in an order in December only to be told that they are sold out, consider ordering a few now and the rest later. That way, you'll have something to show. I may order more for trading purposes or to give away, but at least today's initial batch will guarantee a patch for everybody in our Venturing crew.

      73 de Dale

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 10, 2007
        I use the rascal interface on my home station and use the FSK input on my FT1000MKV and have good luck with that i do not do much PSK and usually stick to RTTY. it works great in that setup. i have to use AFSK on my FT847 so the freq is different because of the SSB mode. i got the Rigblaster standard so it does not have the fsk output but i am going to mod it for that as well as power from the rig. it will include the afsk input as well so it will switch from RTTY to PSK31 with no problems. many years ago i used packet at a jota and the boys thought that was fun. i no longer have any packet so i  thought RTTY/PSK would be fun. hopefully ill get the cables built up before the JOTA weekend.
        73
        Barry
        WB1EDI   / W1S

        To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 10, 2007
          REF: Wind toys and poles for RV use

          There is a YouTube video that describes the use of RV wind toy poles for ham radio antennas.

          There are plenty of tips on wind toys as well.

          /s/  [link is below]

        • Harry Bryant
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 11, 2007
            Greetings from the Battleship New Jersey, Camden NJ

            NJ2BB will be active on SSB and PSK31 for JOTA again this year. Please
            look
            for us on and band that is open. Our activity will most likely take place
            between the hours of 0900 - 1600 EDT Saturday and Sunday.

            73
            Harry - AA2WN
            Battleship New Jersey ARS

            Be sure to visit our Webpage at www.nj2bb.org
          • D.G.
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 11, 2007
              Let me put in a plug for ten meters.

              There will be a large hamfest on-going [PACIFICON.org].

              I am trying to talk up activity on ten meters for JOTA.

              N9FAA

              Be sure to visit our Webpage at www.nj2bb.org

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:ScoutRadio-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:ScoutRadio-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • barry whittemore
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 15, 2007
                I was able to get the Interface operating so i have RTTY up and running for JOTA. i was incorect on our Call though. we will be N1S and not W1S as i had said before.
                Things are going well, we should be on RTTY SSTV PSK31 SSB CW and Satelite. we will even have a young YL op. as well as my XYL (NE1F). we should have the ablility to be on 3 bands plus sat at a time.
                most active will be 20 M SSTV and SSB  40 RTTY SSB and CW and 17 M RTTY SSB and CW.

                We hope to work lots of scouts from all over.
                Barry
                WB1EDI  N1S

                To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
                From: DaleLamm@...
                Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 06:02:35 +0000

                [quote]
                Is anyone going to be running RTTY for JOTA? i am going to try if i can get everything working by then. i would love to show the kids RTTY. i will be on 40 Metrs mostly but possibly 17. we will have a 20 meter station set up with SSTV and phone so the other bands are open for me.
                we will be operating W1S from Camp Carpenter in Manchester, NH
                Barry
                WB1EDI

                [end quote]

                We will be using SSB plus PSK31, SSTV and RTTY from a northeast Ohio council camp. No set schedule, but will try to QSO with any other RTTY on the bands. Unless there's a RTTY contest, there won't be too many RTTY stations, if past experience holds.

                Kids seem to go for PSK31 because they can see simultaneous "instant messenger like" sessions in parallel, and they identify with IM, thanks to AOL, etc. Just my opinion. A few kids have mike fright, which disappears when you are using a keyboard.

                Will use my call, NX8J.

                73 de Dale