RE: [ScoutRadio] JOTA 2007

  • NA0S - Kevin Cutright
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 5, 2007

      How would I do this running UI-View?

      Thanks.

      Kevin, na0s

      From: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com [mailto: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Robert Bruninga
      Sent: Friday, October 05, 2007 8:24 AM
      To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [ScoutRadio] JOTA 2007

      If any JOTA stations also run APRS as a side show:

      Remember, that the network is supposed to pass any message to
      "SCOUTS" from anywhere to anywhere. So send a CQ JOTA message
      to SCOUTS is a way of finding other groups.

      Also add SCOUTS to your message-group list, so that your station
      will receive any such messages.

      This is completely dependent on the local APRS I-gate operator
      having added the callsign SCOUTS to his "pass-to-RF list" in his
      area. Many have not done this, so there are no guarantees.

      Bob, WB4APR

      Virus Database (VPS): 000778-4, 10/05/2007
      Tested on: 10/5/2007 8:08:36 PM

      Virus Database (VPS): 000778-4, 10/05/2007
      Tested on: 10/5/2007 8:11:07 PM

    • Bob Bruninga
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 5, 2007
        > How would I do this using UI-View?

        >> ... APRS is supposed to pass messages to "SCOUTS"
        >> to RF, so that scouts can easily find each other...

        The problem with this approach is that it required action on the part of a 3rd party (an Igate operator) to set it up. AA5PL, Pete has suggested a much better method that will work in the field for everyone that wants to QSO without dependence on a 3rd party!.

        Pete suggests a "Registered Broadcast Server". The way it works is that you send an APRS message to the server indicating your intention to join the SCOUTS Broadcast. At this point, you will receive a copy of any SCOUTS broadcasts. You can send up to one outgoing "broadcast" once every 30 minutes. After 12 hours, you will time-out of the server.

        Volunteer programmer? We need something like this written!

        This will greatly facilitate APRS-two-way communications through the APRS-IS which is sorely needed in APRS today to get back on track with what APRS is all about. Exchanging information between live people.

        Something like this:

        TO: CQSERV MSG:CQ SCOUTS
        This will log you into the broadcast server for "SCOUTS".
        You get a reply message: "Logged in to SCOUTS at 2236z"

        To: SCOUTS MSG:CQ JOTA, from troop 995 Annapolis Maryland.
        When you send this message, the server will broadcast
        this message one-time-only with no ACK to all
        logged on users of SCOUTS.

        TO: CQSERV MSG:Logoff
        This will log you off if you are finished with your
        event to cut down QRM from the server through your IGate.

        This could work for SATERN, or YOUTH, or any other subset of come-as-you are groups that are widely dispersed but may need to contact each other from the field.

        Wow, I think this could really be a new dimension for APRS! Thanks Pete... (or it could be melt-down... depending on usage). But we can throttle it back if it gets out of hand. But without it, we have no way of contacting remote groups through the APRS-IS without apriori knowledge. And APRS was never supposed to be dependent on apriori knowledge to facilitate communications?

        ANy programmer with time on his hands?

        WB4APR, Bob
      • D.G.
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 7, 2007
          Team:

          We are thinking of being near Mt. Baden Powell during JOTA (near Wrightwood, CA).

          I may make the hike up to the summit and try some 10 meter 29.390 SSB contacts.

          I have heard rumors that there may be other scout troops hiking during this time.

          Anyone have any information on this?

          Thanks...

        • Robert Giuliani W1RPG
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 18, 2007
            The Stratford Amateur Radio Club, W1ORS will be active during JOTA on
            Saturday, October 20, 2007.
            We have sent out invitations via local scout councils.
            We will be on 20m SSB, 40 SSB and 40M PSK31 as well as 10m SSB as their
            is a large 10m operator base in the area.
            Also, we will have 2m FM on 146.55.
            See you on the air.

            CQ JOTA
          • Andrew
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 18, 2007

              1st Asquith Scout Group will be on air from around 1300TC Friday til 0400UTC Sunday. We be using UHF, VHF and IRLP Node 6060

              Unfortunately we weren’t able to get the HF radio.

              Callsign is VK2SAQ with operators VK2KVJ, VK2FACD, VK2FACF, VK2FTPC.

              We will be located at - 33°26'33.95"S 151°16'26.90"E

              There will be plenty of Joeys, Cubs and Scouts willing to speak on the radio.

              Points are available for the Scouting 100 Radio Award.

              Yours in Scouting,

              Andrew

              VK2FACD