Re: Scouts safe

  • mirkwood3522
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 4, 2007
      Joe,

      I started doing JOTA with our CubScout Pack. The Cubs loved it, and
      last year I took it to the District Cub-O-Ree where it was again well
      recieved. We had paper charts for them to work out the phonetics of
      their first names, and for them to decipher phrases from their Cub
      Scout Handbook written in Morse Code, as well as the opportunity to
      talk to other Scouts by radio.
      Now we are the new guys in the Boy Scout Troop. I have been trying
      to make contact with other Radio Scouters in the Council to put
      together a real show for the 50th JOTA. Nada, Zip, Nothing. Leaders
      I spoke to wished me luck, but no hits. I had about decided to work
      JOTA 2007 from home and send patches to the Scouts I worked. One
      last try was to present the idea to the advisors of the local OA
      lodge. I presented it as a side event, not interfering with their
      Fall Fellowship program, but available to all who wanted to drop by.
      They presented it to the Lodge Executive Council, some of whom had
      seen their first JOTA in the Cub Pack. I will be operating from our
      Council camp on Saturday Oct 20 from about 0900 EDT to 1800 EDT on
      whichever HF bands give me propagation.
      The key here is to start simple with the small kids, and your program
      will grow as they grow.

      Jim Baker KQ4BH
      Troop 899 Troop Committee
      Radio Merit Badge Counselor
      http://www.w4gs.org/members/kq4bh/index.html

      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 4, 2007
        Joe,

        Sorry to hear about your experience. It is sad but true, as I have
        experienced and faced many of the same attitudes toward radio and
        technology. I have been a little more fortunate in a couple of
        ways. First, the opportunity to work with a scoutmaster who flew
        helicopter combat missions in Iraq and understands and appreciates
        the importance of radio communications. Also, I have had the support
        and assistance of fellow Amateurs at the district level in organizing
        an event this year.

        Our event will be held at Camp Lakota and we have had the good
        fortune to be allowed to be part of a Webelos Unplugged event to held
        there that weekend. We will be part of the regular program rotation
        serving ~200 scouts and their parents. We have a lot of neat
        activities planned. Information can be found at:
        http://pathfinder.nwsc.org/JOTA%20Flyer.pdf

        As it appears you are in my neck of the woods, I would like to invite
        you and any one you would like to bring out to our JOTA event. We
        need all the help we can get and would welcome your assistance. We
        especially need help Sunday, as there will be three morning rotations
        and then we need to tear down. Please feel free to contact me
        directly.

        Kent Ochs
        W9KAO

        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Serocki" <joeserocki@...>

        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 4, 2007
          Good info and you guys aren't alone. I have been pushing radio and the radio merit badge for 2-3 years now.
          From what I see, as long as you bring the program our council will normally support it. You need to show that
          your program is popular and well attended so start out small and grow from there. The past two years at Summer
          Camp, I've had to teach the Radio merit badge at different locations. But that's okay because I was offering
          something new and "cool" to the scouts. There's only about two other hams that help me with all this on a
          regular basis and I know there's other ham/scouters/scouts in our council area. I approached the council about
          doing JOTA and they were basically open arms. SO, this will be the first year that we offer JOTA at our scout
          camp the entire weekend. Although it will be done in conjunction with an Explorer weekend, I have done just
          about everything I could to publicize around the council. Now we just wait and see what happens.

          Bottom line is don't get discouraged. If you have the drive and desire to put on the program, eventually it will
          catch on and you can run with it. Solicit a local ham club or just get other hams around your area to put together
          a "Field Day" type setup.

          Good Luck,
          Dave Adsit
          Stephens City, VA