Re: [ScoutRadio] JOTA flyer uploaded

  • Bill Stewart
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
      All,
      Go to http://openoffice.org and download the latest version of Open Office and you can open this file and any other file
      that you need to including Word Docs.

      YiS & WWW,

      Bill Stewart, W2BSA

      frank@... wrote:

      On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, barry whittemore wrote:

      > you could also save as a word doc, which is more readily readable.

      More readily readable, yes, if you have purchased Microsoft Word, and
      assuming all those with whom you are sharing files have also done so. Yes,
      you can use other software to extract most of the information needed to
      reproduce the document from a MS-Word file, but since parts of the format
      are kept secret by Microsoft, there is no likelihood that a MS-Word
      document generated by a particular application (MS or non-MS) will render
      correctly on other word processors (or even on various versions of MS-Word
      itself).

      See the link in my earlier post for more about why MS-Word is unsuitable
      as a document interchange format.

      As hams, we are all about interoperability, open standards, and
      technological advancement (not to mention non-commerciality, if that's a
      legitimate term).

      --
      Yours in Scouting,
      Frank Maynard, NF8M

    • D.G.
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2007
        Team:

        Anyone interested in hiking up to Baden Powell Peak for JOTA?

        We will try to get a two meter station up there with a seven element beam to work into:

          Las Vegas
          San Diego
          Bakersfield
          others

        We want to make a YouTube video of the adventure.

        N9FAA

      • D.G.
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2007
          Team:

          Anyone interested in hiking up to Baden Powell Peak for JOTA?

          We will try to get a two meter station up there with a seven element beam to work into:

            Las Vegas
            San Diego
            Bakersfield
            others

          We want to make a YouTube video of the adventure.

          N9FAA

          Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
        • n7tek
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 1, 2007
            N9FAA,

            We have had a team and a HAM on Mt. Baden Powell almost every year
            for Varsity Scouting Operation On Target. Contact Gavin Christen at
            christenpg@... (he might be able to put you in touch with
            the HAMs that have operated from and are familiar with that peak).
            They will probably need tents and cold weather gear this time of
            year. They could probably link into a 2m IRLP repeater to avoid the
            need for a beam and let HAMs from all over contact them.

            73 de N7TEK

            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "D.G." <indianaj0nes@...> wrote:

            > Team:
            >
            > Anyone interested in hiking up to Baden Powell Peak for JOTA?
            >
            > http://home.tiscali.nl/worldscout/Jota/jota.htm
            >
            > http://www.simpsoncity.com/hiking/baden.html
            >
            > We will try to get a two meter station up there with a seven
            element beam to work into:

            > Las Vegas
            > San Diego
            > Bakersfield
            > others
            >
            > We want to make a YouTube video of the adventure.
            >

            > N9FAA
            >

            > ---------------------------------
            who knows.
            > Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

          • Iron Roads (KI6ABR)
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 1, 2007
              I sure wish the Inland Empire Area Council's Megaversity was not always on JOTA weekend.
              I've been meaning to get back up there and take some pictures of Wally Waldon pine near the summit.

              Does anyone know if there will be a JOTA station at Megaversity this year.
              Sometimes they have had it in the past.

              YIS,

              -Mark Z, AF6AX

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 4, 2007
                You will love this video about emergency vehicles [see KB6EMS] getting parking tickets.

                Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.