Radio MB at JOTA

  • AsABat
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 20, 2000
      Troop 651 will be on JOTA Saturday starting at 21:00Z, mostly on 20 meters
      day and 40 meters night. We will be operating from Lake Perris near
      Riverside, California, when we're not canoeing.

      JOTA is a great time to start the radio merit badge. If you need help with
      this MB, visit my web page at www.qsl.net/aa6j/radiomb which will walk you
      through all the requirements except for getting you on the air.

      73 & YIS,
      Bill Jeffrey, Venture Advisor
      Crew 651
      San Marcos, California
      aa6j@...
      www.qsl.net/aa6j
    • Bob Bruninga
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 23, 2000
        Lessons from APRS and JAMBOREE on the AIR:

        Our 3 day "jamboree" had 600 WEBLOS scouts and 400 parents who came
        through our stations in 18 groups of about 35 kids each plus parents. We
        actually had TWO of the 30 minute time slots. One was for the 3 HF
        stations doing classic JOTA. The other site was about 100 feet away and
        was called "TECHNOLOGY". Both sites were VERY popular.

        I did the TECHNOLOGY site where we had ATV, APRS, GPS, SATS, FRS, CPO's,
        Flashing lights and CB. The ATV and APRS were in a large tent so you
        could see the 4 color Laptops all showing APRS. Outside we had about 20
        feet of tables with an assortment of CPO's, FRS, CB and handheld SATellite
        stations. The idea was to let them send morse code from this table to
        another long table 100 feet away with CPO, Flashing light, Mirrors, etc.

        But with the large groups, it just became too hard. So we devolved into a
        sit-down lecture/demo about all the neat toys. But we noticed that not
        only the kids, but also the parents sat with RAPT ATTENTION when we talked
        about FRS as a "license-free" entry into HAM radio. On average, less than
        1-in-40 had heard of FRS. The few that had, had no idea what a SQUELCH
        was, how "QUIET TONES" work, nor that antenna POLARITY and HEIGHT makes a
        difference.

        So we ended up spending 75% of our time with a VERY good introduction to
        everyone about FRS:

        1) How to use a radio. (Sharing the channel, courtesy, call procedures)
        2) What a SQUELCH is so that they understand what the MONItor button is
        3) What QUIET TONES are and how they PREVENT you from communicating
        with others. That they are NOT PRIVACY tones and you must use the
        MONITOR button first to be sure the channel is clear.
        4) What antenna height gain means (double your height and double range).
        5) How CHANNEL-1 TONE-0 (off) is the only way to go into the woods if
        you want to be able to find/talk to others
        6) How polarity must match for good signals...

        What WE realized is that HAM radio wants to talk to anyone/everyone. FRS,
        however, is designed to FILTER-OUT EVERYONE ELSE so you only talk to your
        "family". But for SCOUTING, CAMPING, WILDERNESS COMMUNICATIONS, you do
        not want to be EXCLUSIVE... That was our mission.... (Ch-1 tone 0)

        The night before, we had heard a few kids using FRS Ch1 tone 0. And a few
        of them just clowning around. The night after, we heard triple the number
        of scouts on Ch1 tone 0, and THIS time, we actually heard them making
        "contacts" with others. IE, they would try to rendesvous to have an
        eyeball. I think we had an effect and hooked a new generation on
        "radio"... The PARENTS all wanted to know where to get them, and were
        amazed that the cost is under $29 to $39 each.

        Of course... then we told them about the advantages of HAM radio...

        But the idea that they could get a radio NOW, and start using it NOW, and
        talk to ANYONE now was a real eye-opener to them.

        So, I feel this "INTRODUCTION TO 2-WAY RADIO" is a MUST-DO COURSE for all
        scouts or any other "outdoors" types of groups. It is in our own best
        interest to educate the public about how radios work, and how to get the
        most out of them, and how to be courteous on the air. It MUST BE TAUGHT.
        It does not come naturally.... (just look at CB or 75m phone)...

        HAM radio clubs can really provide a service by going out to these
        organizations and offering to give a 1 hour program on "RADIO". Bring
        along a handful of FRS radios and let the kids work with them after the
        talk. THey will really get excited about radio and sooner or later, you
        will pick up a new ham out of it. You will certainly improve the
        exposure of your club to the community!

        good luck

        de WB4APR, Bob