JOTA flyer uploaded

  • frank@fmaynard.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
      I have uploaded the JOTA flyer that I put together for distribution at
      Roundtable. You are welcome to use it as an example for your own flyer,
      or edit it with information specific to your own JOTA operation. The file
      is jota_flyer_07.odt and is in the JOTA directory of the files section.

      I put out 100 copies at the September Roundtable and they were all gone by
      the end of the night - hopefully a good sign!

      --
      Yours in Scouting,
      Frank Maynard, NF8M
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
        What file format is an ".ODT" file?

      • frank@fmaynard.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
          On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, n7tek wrote:

          > What file format is an ".ODT" file?

          It's OpenDocument Text format (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument),
          a worldwide standard most commonly created/supported by OpenOffice
          (http://www.openoffice.org) but can be opened on almost any modern word
          processing program. Microsoft Office (MS-Word) users will probably need
          the plugin: http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin

          OpenDoc is completely open and free for all to use, unlike the most
          commonly used proprietary document format, which is unsuitable for
          document interchange for a number of reasons -- see
          http://www.goldmark.org/netrants/no-word/attach.html

          --
          Yours in Scouting,
          Frank Maynard, NF8M
          CC, Troop 407; CR, Pack 54, Novi, Michigan
          Ottawa District Cub Training Chair, Clinton Valley Council
        • Malcolm - G4CXT
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
            Open Office

            www.openoffice.org

            Go get it - and throw out the Micro$oft suite!
            73

            Malcolm - G4CXT

          • kimbare@hicom.net
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
              can anyone forward it to me ...I cannot get it to open in either my mac or pc

              On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 12:16:16 -0700 (PDT), frank wrote

              > I have
              uploaded the JOTA flyer that I put together for distribution at

              Roundtable. You are welcome to use it as an example for your own flyer,

              or edit it with information specific to your own JOTA operation. The file

              is jota_flyer_07. odt and is in the JOTA directory of the files section.

              I put out 100 copies at the September Roundtable and they were all gone by

              the end of the night - hopefully a good sign!

              --

              Yours in Scouting,

              Frank Maynard, NF8M

              CC, Troop 407; CR, Pack 54, Novi, Michigan

              Ottawa District Cub Training Chair, Clinton Valley Council

              --> --> -->

              --
              Sent from hicom.net (http://www.hicom.net)
              via "OpenWebMail" (http://openwebmail.org)

            • frank@fmaynard.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
                Since a few people have had trouble figuring out how to open the flyer
                file, I have uploaded it as a pdf. You most likely won't be able to edit
                the pdf, so if you want to customize it, you'll probably want to use
                OpenOffice, which is free, and available for (and works the same on)
                nearly every platform (MS-Windows, Mac OSX, Linux).

                --
                Yours in Scouting,
                Frank Maynard, NF8M
                CC, Troop 407; CR, Pack 54, Novi, Michigan
                Ottawa District Cub Training Chair, Clinton Valley Council
              • barry whittemore
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
                  you could also save as a word doc, which is more readily readable.
                  i use open office but always save as word docs.
                  barry
                  WB1EDI

                  To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
                  From: frank@...
                  Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 13:33:27 -0700
                  Subject: Re: [ScoutRadio] JOTA flyer uploaded

                  Since a few people have had trouble figuring out how to open the flyer
                  file, I have uploaded it as a pdf. You most likely won't be able to edit
                  the pdf, so if you want to customize it, you'll probably want to use
                  OpenOffice, which is free, and available for (and works the same on)
                  nearly every platform (MS-Windows, Mac OSX, Linux).

                  --
                  Yours in Scouting,
                  Frank Maynard, NF8M
                  CC, Troop 407; CR, Pack 54, Novi, Michigan
                  Ottawa District Cub Training Chair, Clinton Valley Council

                  More photos; more messages; more whatever – Get MORE with Windows Live™ Hotmail®. NOW with 5GB storage. Get more!
                • frank@fmaynard.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
                    On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, barry whittemore wrote:

                    > you could also save as a word doc, which is more readily readable.

                    More readily readable, yes, if you have purchased Microsoft Word, and
                    assuming all those with whom you are sharing files have also done so. Yes,
                    you can use other software to extract most of the information needed to
                    reproduce the document from a MS-Word file, but since parts of the format
                    are kept secret by Microsoft, there is no likelihood that a MS-Word
                    document generated by a particular application (MS or non-MS) will render
                    correctly on other word processors (or even on various versions of MS-Word
                    itself).

                    See the link in my earlier post for more about why MS-Word is unsuitable
                    as a document interchange format.

                    As hams, we are all about interoperability, open standards, and
                    technological advancement (not to mention non-commerciality, if that's a
                    legitimate term).

                    --
                    Yours in Scouting,
                    Frank Maynard, NF8M
                    CC, Troop 407; CR, Pack 54, Novi, Michigan
                    Ottawa District Cub Training Chair, Clinton Valley Council
                  • Bill Stewart
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 25, 2007
                      All,
                      Go to http://openoffice.org and download the latest version of Open Office and you can open this file and any other file
                      that you need to including Word Docs.

                      YiS & WWW,

                      Bill Stewart, W2BSA

                      frank@... wrote:

                      On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, barry whittemore wrote:

                      > you could also save as a word doc, which is more readily readable.

                      More readily readable, yes, if you have purchased Microsoft Word, and
                      assuming all those with whom you are sharing files have also done so. Yes,
                      you can use other software to extract most of the information needed to
                      reproduce the document from a MS-Word file, but since parts of the format
                      are kept secret by Microsoft, there is no likelihood that a MS-Word
                      document generated by a particular application (MS or non-MS) will render
                      correctly on other word processors (or even on various versions of MS-Word
                      itself).

                      See the link in my earlier post for more about why MS-Word is unsuitable
                      as a document interchange format.

                      As hams, we are all about interoperability, open standards, and
                      technological advancement (not to mention non-commerciality, if that's a
                      legitimate term).

                      --
                      Yours in Scouting,
                      Frank Maynard, NF8M
                      CC, Troop 407; CR, Pack 54, Novi, Michigan
                      Ottawa District Cub Training Chair, Clinton Valley Council

                    • D.G.
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 1, 2007
                        Team:

                        Anyone interested in hiking up to Baden Powell Peak for JOTA?

                        We will try to get a two meter station up there with a seven element beam to work into:

                          Las Vegas
                          San Diego
                          Bakersfield
                          others

                        We want to make a YouTube video of the adventure.

                        N9FAA

                      • D.G.
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 1, 2007
                          Team:

                          Anyone interested in hiking up to Baden Powell Peak for JOTA?

                          We will try to get a two meter station up there with a seven element beam to work into:

                            Las Vegas
                            San Diego
                            Bakersfield
                            others

                          We want to make a YouTube video of the adventure.

                          N9FAA

                          Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
                        • n7tek
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 1, 2007
                            N9FAA,

                            We have had a team and a HAM on Mt. Baden Powell almost every year
                            for Varsity Scouting Operation On Target. Contact Gavin Christen at
                            christenpg@... (he might be able to put you in touch with
                            the HAMs that have operated from and are familiar with that peak).
                            They will probably need tents and cold weather gear this time of
                            year. They could probably link into a 2m IRLP repeater to avoid the
                            need for a beam and let HAMs from all over contact them.

                            73 de N7TEK

                            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "D.G." <indianaj0nes@...> wrote:

                            > Team:
                            >
                            > Anyone interested in hiking up to Baden Powell Peak for JOTA?
                            >
                            > http://home.tiscali.nl/worldscout/Jota/jota.htm
                            >
                            > http://www.simpsoncity.com/hiking/baden.html
                            >
                            > We will try to get a two meter station up there with a seven
                            element beam to work into:

                            > Las Vegas
                            > San Diego
                            > Bakersfield
                            > others
                            >
                            > We want to make a YouTube video of the adventure.
                            >

                            > N9FAA
                            >

                            > ---------------------------------
                            who knows.
                            > Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                          • Iron Roads (KI6ABR)
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 1, 2007
                              I sure wish the Inland Empire Area Council's Megaversity was not always on JOTA weekend.
                              I've been meaning to get back up there and take some pictures of Wally Waldon pine near the summit.

                              Does anyone know if there will be a JOTA station at Megaversity this year.
                              Sometimes they have had it in the past.

                              YIS,

                              -Mark Z, AF6AX

                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 4, 2007
                                You will love this video about emergency vehicles [see KB6EMS] getting parking tickets.

                                Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.