RE: [ScoutRadio] Scouts safe

  • barry whittemore
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 25, 2007
      I started the BSA Troop 135 ARC within our troop. so far there is not a a great deal of interest but there will be some. last year for the Daniel Webster Council JOTA at the Camp Carpenter in Manchester 300 visitors showed up. we will be there again this year as well as a demo at the NH Jamboree OCT 6 put on by the Yankee Clipper Contest Club. I will be at both events. so listen for us.
      Barry
      WB1EDI/KB1NH

      To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
      From: joeserocki@...
      Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 20:32:14 -0500
      Subject: RE: [ScoutRadio] Scouts safe

      I need some assistance here.

      Our Ham Radio Club offer Radio, Electronics  and Electricity Merit Badge classes to over 2000 Scouts, we get 20 takers. I was wondering why. Then I realized that at least out here in Illinois technology and Scouting do not mix. Scoutmasters frown on any sort of technology and won’t allow their kids to bring anything technological on events. The technical merit badges are not Eagle required and there are plenty of easier merit badges than Radio, Electronics  and Electricity.

      I approached our Council and I was told that was the way it is. I also was told not to bother with JOTA because no one would come out.

      So, what gives? Is this only in my area or is this some sort of larger phenomena? Can anyone offer any feedback?

      Thanks

      73, Joe, N9IFG

      Assistant Regional Coordinator, AYSO Region 428 (http://ayso428. com)

      Prez, WeLCARS (http://welcars. org)

      Advisor, Venture Crew 743 (http://743.no- ip.org)

      IRLP Node 4239

      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 25, 2007
        This is another case of a Council not knowing what they are talking about. When someone makes
        a flat statement like that, that's usually the sign of cluelessness. Do JOTA as a Crew and let everyone in your Council
        know about it. Tell them when and where and make sure you're there operating.
        Is your Council just a small Council with no Districts??? If not, then do JOTA on the District level.

        73,

        Bill Stewart. W2BSA

      • Bill Stewart - W2BSA
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 25, 2007
          Malcolm we do welcome the ladies in our Venturing and Exploring programs. But, part of the problem
          is the Girl Scouts of the USA. They don't really want to do anything with the Boy Scouts. Merger has been periodically
          talked about so that we would operate much like the Canadians, but, there seems to be a stubborn streak. It definitely
          goes both ways though.

          73,

          Bill, W2BSA

          Malcolm - G4CXT wrote:

          Its time to get rid of your Scout Masters then.

          What absolute twaddle.  Technology & Engineering are two of the disciplines which have been responsible for the phenomenal rate of "progress" we have all seen in our life times - medicine being another.

          If your Scout Masters can't see the connection between Scouting & Technology simply ask them how come 11 out of 12 of the astronauts who have stepped on the moon were Scouts.  Ask them who they expect to be designing the TV sets, Flight Control equipment and (though it pains me to say it) weapons in the future.  Of course, its those same Scouts who today aspire to be Eagle Scouts - today's Scouts are tomorrow's leaders.

          If they can't find an answer then ask them to consider their future and seriously examine whether they are serving the best interests of their Scouts by taking such an approach. If they still don't get the message, then replace them!

          Oh yes, while you are at it try to drop the "master" bit and "boy scout" stuff - yep, let the girls in, they will show you a thing or two about tomorrow's future leaders  ;-)

          The World Scout Jamboree was a totally uplifting experience - see if some of the young people's energy & enthusiasm from Hylands Park and everywhere else in the world this summer can permeate into Illinois too and affect those crusty old Scout Masters who are giving you a hard time.

          73

          Malcolm - G4CXT
          District Explorer Scout Commissioner, Deben District, Suffolk

          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 25, 2007
            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Serocki" <joeserocki@...>
            wrote:

            > I need some assistance here.
            >
            > Our Ham Radio Club offer Radio, Electronics and Electricity Merit
            Badge
            > classes to over 2000 Scouts, we get 20 takers. I was wondering why.
            Then I
            > realized that at least out here in Illinois technology and Scouting
            do not
            > mix. Scoutmasters frown on any sort of technology and won't allow
            their kids
            > to bring anything technological on events. The technical merit
            badges are
            > not Eagle required and there are plenty of easier merit badges than
            Radio,
            > Electronics and Electricity.
            >
            > I approached our Council and I was told that was the way it is. I
            also was
            > told not to bother with JOTA because no one would come out.
            >
            > So, what gives? Is this only in my area or is this some sort of
            larger
            > phenomena? Can anyone offer any feedback?

            It's definitely local. We run a Radio Merit Day each year here in
            Central NJ Council and have to turn away Scouts after we reach our 60
            Scout maximum.

            I suggest you try an find a locally active well known Scouter who
            also is a ham and use him as your conduit for putting a face on your
            activities when you publicize them with visits to the local
            Roundtables, etc. E-mails and flyers alone won't cut it.

            As for Radio in Scouting, the very first BSA Handbook from 1911
            included instructions on building your home wireless station, so it
            definitely has been a part of Scouting from day one.

            73

            Gary, K2GW
          • Dan Fisher AI4GK
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 25, 2007
              Joe,

              You can't TELL Council that they're wrong. You have to SHOW them they are!

              We have a similar attitude in Central Florida Council, but not nearly to that extreme. We also have a ban on electronics. I think that the idea is that Scouts have their ipods and PSP's and CD players and handhelds, etc. with them continually. The idea is to break them away from their electronics to pay attention during the outdoor activities. The modification of this is that they can have electronics in their own tents, QUIETLY, during "quiet time" in the evening.

              Our district (Manatee) has an informal policy that allows Scouts who are licensed, to bring ham radio with them. Last March, we had a Radio Merit Badge Camporee, where about 160 Scouts earned RMB. It was a tremendous success. The vast majority of Scouts enjoyed the camporee, which brought technology into nature. We had a number of activities that were ham radio related, like an Amateur TV camera and transmitter on an RC airplane. The Scouts got to watch where the craft was and got to see the camp from 100-or-so feet up.

              We did Morse code, semaphore, and had a crystal radio building station. We had a demo by BEARS -- Brevard Emergency Amateur Radio Services. They brought their $100,000+ mobile command center to the Camporee. We had a SSTV demo, and oh yes, the boys made HF contacts.

              Keith Schreiber KC0DIV and i do JOTA pretty much every year. If your council or district has an e-mail list like this, post your JOTA plans there. You don't have to activate for the entire weekend. Go to your district's Roundtable and ask for a few minutes there to pitch JOTA. Hand out the pre-printed JOTA flyers you can get from the ARRL Web site. Also, include Girl Scouts. Remember, JOTA is for them also. If you have only 2 or 3 Scouts who show up, consider that a rousing success!! Then talk it up at the next Roundtable and on the e-mail reflector and at Scout meetings. (Another good avenue to get Scouts to go to something--go to the troop and pack meetings to talk something up.) If you go to the meetings ahead of time and talk it up, then go around again afterward and say how much fun everyone had, it'll spark something in the minds of the Scouts. Y0u don't have to tell them there were only a handful of Scouts that showed up!

              If you're a Scout leader, bring your radio to camp. Find a place to set up where there will be lots of Scouts walking by, and start operating. Hopefully there will be good enough propagation to make good contacts. If not, make sure you've brought a collection of QSL cards. You can show them to the Scouts and explain that those are other hams you've contacted. If you don't have a good collection, have a ham who does come out and help with the portable station. If propagation is crappy, just say "It's like fishing. Sometimes you catch more than you can handle and some days you don't catch much of anything. Today is one of those days, but I've talked to hams in (list some cool places that these boys have heard of but most likely haven't visited)."

              Remember, you don't have to have hundreds of Scouts at an event to have a good time. If you're passionate about what you're doing, it will show, and the boys will become excited. You'll become known as the "Ham Radio Guy." After a while it will be expected that you'll be bringing your radios to all camp outs, and you WILL have some Scouts get interested.

              Keep on scouting and hamming!

              73,
              Dan AI4GK
              Dan Fisher, AI4GK
              www.qrz.com/ai4gk
              http://ai4gk.r2i.net
              Public Service Chairman, Platinum Coast Amateur Radio Society (www.pcars.org)
              Brevard County FL Public Information Officer, ARRL, the national association for Amateur Radio (www.arrl.org)

              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 25, 2007
                Merger will never happen. The Boy Scout troops are chartered by an external organization, the Girl Scouts do not, they are not 'owned'. Conversations like this have almost come to brawling!

                I have been doing some checking, and you are right. The Scoutsmasters over here seem to be very technology-scared. Who knows.

                I would like to thank all of you for your feedback! We were thinking of not doing JOTA, but now we are proceeding along the lines of getting it done, and this is gonna be great!

                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 25, 2007
                  I see the same things in my council.  They don't promote JOTA because it doesn't generate any income for the council.  If you can find a way to charge for it and send the revenue to the council, they will eat it up.

                  I have taught RM to scouts at are local "Winter Camp", most thought it was going to be a "gimmie" MB, boy were they surprised.

                  William (Bill) Albert
                  Amateur "Extra" Radio call:AD5TD
                  Emergency Communications Officer
                  Refugio County EOC, Texas

                  "We don't know a millionth of one percent about anything."
                  -- Thomas A. Edison

                • Bill Stewart - W2BSA
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 25, 2007
                    Hey Bill,
                    I think you really hit the nail on the head. If it doesn't generate revenue Council doesn't want to hear about it.
                    That's why if you can work it at the District level you have a better chance of accomplishing something.

                    73,

                    Bill, W2BSA

                    William Albert wrote:
                    I see the same things in my council.  They don't promote JOTA because it doesn't generate any income for the council.  If you can find a way to charge for it and send the revenue to the council, they will eat it up.

                    I have taught RM to scouts at are local "Winter Camp", most thought it was going to be a "gimmie" MB, boy were they surprised.

                    William (Bill) Albert
                    Amateur "Extra" Radio call:AD5TD
                    Emergency Communications Officer
                    Refugio County EOC, Texas

                    "We don't know a millionth of one percent about anything."
                    -- Thomas A. Edison

                  • LewisUpshur LEPC
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 25, 2007
                      I have been doing JOTA for the last 4 yrs.
                      I have taught the Radio MB each time.

                      I just tried to start a Ham radio club for the council
                      that would be run by registered scouters.

                      I had an audience with the Executive Committe.

                      The president told me he would support my proposal if
                      I establish a Venture crew.

                      Other mebers want more input and advice from National.

                      It may not be worth the effort.

                      http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
                    • frank@fmaynard.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 25, 2007
                        On Mon, 24 Sep 2007, Joe Serocki wrote:

                        > I also was told not to bother with JOTA because no one would come out.

                        I would suggest that you go ahead and do a JOTA station anyway. Tie it in
                        to your unit and invite other troops and packs. Even if nobody shows up
                        you'll get on the air and can work other scouts. Try to do it outdoors
                        with portable gear.

                        We are lucky in that this time around we have a camporee to operate from,
                        and the troop that is hosting the camporee is supportive and welcoming of
                        our efforts. Last year we helped at the camporee providing radio comms
                        along the six mile hiking trail.

                        We started slowly, though. For the first couple years it was just a
                        couple of us scouter-hams, and we found a city park to set up in. We put
                        out flyers at Roundtable and we got a handful of scouts, but at least we
                        activated, learned a bit about making temporary antennas stay up in the
                        winds of October, and figured out what we would need to do to make it more
                        successful. It was not that we lacked support from Council - I don't
                        think they'd ever been much involved in ham radio - but there was not much
                        interest previously. We created the interest by providing the event. I
                        also created some awareness in our council committee and scout executive
                        with my Wood Badge ticket.

                        Last year for the first time we combined talent among the districts for a
                        standalone JOTA and had around 30 scouts stop by. There were no camporees
                        in our council on JOTA weekend to draw attendance from, so we felt it was
                        respectable. Some participants drove 30-40 miles to come. You can read
                        about it in the OCARG Eagle.

                        I am thinking of doing either a display or a costumed announcement at
                        Roundtable next month. Any ideas for a good visual presentation? (Dress
                        up like an old-time telegrapher with the green visor and rolled up
                        sleeves? Or maybe try the Al Franken hardhat-with-satellite-dish
                        gimmick?)

                        --
                        Yours in Scouting,
                        Frank Maynard, NF8M
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 25, 2007
                          We have had a technology centric venture crew operating for years. It IS worth the effort. It is simple and provides you insurance coverage for activities! Also, the Club events that are linked with the Crew are covered, which is great.

                          Hope that helps!

                          On 9/25/07, LewisUpshur LEPC <lewisupshur_lepc@...> wrote:

                          I have been doing JOTA for the last 4 yrs.
                          I have taught the Radio MB each time.

                          I just tried to start a Ham radio club for the council
                          that would be run by registered scouters.

                          I had an audience with the Executive Committe.

                          The president told me he would support my proposal if
                          I establish a Venture crew.

                          Other mebers want more input and advice from National.

                          It may not be worth the effort.
                          --- William Albert < cmoprcc@...> wrote:

                          > I see the same things in my council. They don't
                          > promote JOTA because it doesn't generate any income
                          > for the council. If you can find a way to charge
                          > for it and send the revenue to the council, they
                          > will eat it up.
                          >
                          > I have taught RM to scouts at are local "Winter
                          > Camp", most thought it was going to be a "gimmie"
                          > MB, boy were they surprised.
                          >

                          > William (Bill) Albert
                          > Amateur "Extra" Radio call:AD5TD
                          > Emergency Communications Officer
                          > Refugio County EOC, Texas
                          >
                          > "We don't know a millionth of one percent about
                          > anything."
                          > -- Thomas A. Edison

                          http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC

                        • Tony Wevers
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 25, 2007
                            Having the Exec. Committee endorse your idea is wonderful.

                            A Radio Club does not fit Scouting's programs offered, but it does have potential to fit into the Venture Crew program, from what I know about it.
                            The Crew needs to be chartered to an organization, if I understand it correctly.
                            The Council cannot be the chartering org.

                            It could be however, an amateur Radio Club that is formed for the express purpose of chartering supporting the Crew's life in Scouting.
                            The club can get assistance from other local hams and the ARRL in offering JOTA, Radio Merit Badge and licensing materials, things that it appears that you are doing already.

                            It looks like the "Chicken" needs to be the Radio Club to be able to lay the ground work for the "egg", or Venture Crew to hatch.

                            BTW- the Venture Crew Members could then easliy be the feeder org for the Radio Club membership down the line, another cycle of life.......

                            I know it always looks good on paper ......   :>)

                            Please feel free to append this if there are any errors, as I too would like to explore the possibilty of starting a Venture Crew locally for Amateur Radio.

                            YIS, 73
                            Tony N2JZW

                            --- William Albert <cmoprcc@swbell. net> wrote:

                            > I see the same things in my council. They don't
                            > promote JOTA because it doesn't generate any income
                            > for the council. If you can find a way to charge
                            > for it and send the revenue to the council, they
                            > will eat it up.
                            >
                            > I have taught RM to scouts at are local "Winter
                            > Camp", most thought it was going to be a "gimmie"
                            > MB, boy were they surprised.
                            >

                            > William (Bill) Albert
                            > Amateur "Extra" Radio call:AD5TD
                            > Emergency Communications Officer
                            > Refugio County EOC, Texas
                            >
                            > "We don't know a millionth of one percent about
                            > anything."
                            > -- Thomas A. Edison

                            http://mobile. yahoo.com/ go?refer= 1GNXIC

                            Building a website is a piece of cake.

                          • Joe Serocki
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 25, 2007
                              To be honest this is what we did for WeLCARS.

                              WeLCARS was formed to charter VC743, so allow adults to work with kids and teach them technology. Not necessarily amateur radio or ever only radio, but technology in general. It has worked out very well. Hard part is getting kids interested in the real technology, not just game playing and IMing people. There are so few that understand the underlying parts of it that we felt it appropriate to provide this.

                              That really worked out when we had our hamfest. The fest needed insurance, and the club didnt need money, so we took the profits and provided them to the crew, who worked the event, and by filing the paperwork we were insured. Sounds like a scam but it worked out well!

                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 25, 2007
                                On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Tony Wevers wrote:

                                > A Radio Club does not fit Scouting's programs offered, but it does
                                > have potential to fit into the Venture Crew program,
                                > The Crew needs to be chartered to an organization,
                                > It could be however, an amateur Radio Club that is formed for the
                                > express purpose of chartering supporting the Crew's life in Scouting.

                                This is what I concluded when working my ticket. Rather than the council
                                be the trustee for the license, it was suggested that it be done within a
                                unit, and preferably a new Venturing crew. At this point we have set up
                                the groundwork for this to happen in the future by forming the "Clinton
                                Valley Scout Radio Club", which could then become the chartered org for a
                                Venturing crew devoted to radio, and possibly technology in a larger
                                sense. The challenge now is to find enough potential Venturers interested
                                in technology within a convenient geographic area.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 25, 2007
                                  That challenge is a huge challenge. We had our crew run hot and cold for years. I think we will be able to regroup this time out, but we could not even scare up 5 kids to recharter this time out. It was pretty sad

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 25, 2007
                                    On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Joe Serocki wrote:

                                    > That challenge is a huge challenge.
                                    > we could not even scare up 5 kids to recharter this time out.

                                    In our town we have two troops with about 30 active scouts each. The other
                                    troop is trying to get a high-adventure based crew started, but I don't
                                    think they are having a lot of luck. They included us in recruiting, but
                                    none of our boys joined. The reality is that given the age group, 14-20,
                                    most 14-17 year olds are keeping busy with school, extracurricular
                                    activities and friends, with whatever time left over going to scouting.
                                    (All but one of our high-school scouts are either in sports or band, which
                                    take up huge amounts of time.) I doubt that very many would want to join
                                    yet another scouting unit. After age 17-18 they are away at college for
                                    the most part.

                                    I know that Venturing doubles the pool of possible participants by
                                    including girls, but how many girls are into geek stuff like radio and
                                    technology? There may be a few, but not many.

                                    --
                                    Yours in Scouting,
                                    Frank Maynard, NF8M
                                    CC, Troop 407; CR, Pack 54, Novi, Michigan
                                    Ottawa District Cub Training Chair, Clinton Valley Council
                                  • mirkwood3522
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 4, 2007
                                      Joe,

                                      I started doing JOTA with our CubScout Pack. The Cubs loved it, and
                                      last year I took it to the District Cub-O-Ree where it was again well
                                      recieved. We had paper charts for them to work out the phonetics of
                                      their first names, and for them to decipher phrases from their Cub
                                      Scout Handbook written in Morse Code, as well as the opportunity to
                                      talk to other Scouts by radio.
                                      Now we are the new guys in the Boy Scout Troop. I have been trying
                                      to make contact with other Radio Scouters in the Council to put
                                      together a real show for the 50th JOTA. Nada, Zip, Nothing. Leaders
                                      I spoke to wished me luck, but no hits. I had about decided to work
                                      JOTA 2007 from home and send patches to the Scouts I worked. One
                                      last try was to present the idea to the advisors of the local OA
                                      lodge. I presented it as a side event, not interfering with their
                                      Fall Fellowship program, but available to all who wanted to drop by.
                                      They presented it to the Lodge Executive Council, some of whom had
                                      seen their first JOTA in the Cub Pack. I will be operating from our
                                      Council camp on Saturday Oct 20 from about 0900 EDT to 1800 EDT on
                                      whichever HF bands give me propagation.
                                      The key here is to start simple with the small kids, and your program
                                      will grow as they grow.

                                      Jim Baker KQ4BH
                                      Troop 899 Troop Committee
                                      Radio Merit Badge Counselor
                                      http://www.w4gs.org/members/kq4bh/index.html

                                      aid=10356774&pid=2316294>

                                    • mstrrecd
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 4, 2007
                                        Joe,

                                        Sorry to hear about your experience. It is sad but true, as I have
                                        experienced and faced many of the same attitudes toward radio and
                                        technology. I have been a little more fortunate in a couple of
                                        ways. First, the opportunity to work with a scoutmaster who flew
                                        helicopter combat missions in Iraq and understands and appreciates
                                        the importance of radio communications. Also, I have had the support
                                        and assistance of fellow Amateurs at the district level in organizing
                                        an event this year.

                                        Our event will be held at Camp Lakota and we have had the good
                                        fortune to be allowed to be part of a Webelos Unplugged event to held
                                        there that weekend. We will be part of the regular program rotation
                                        serving ~200 scouts and their parents. We have a lot of neat
                                        activities planned. Information can be found at:
                                        http://pathfinder.nwsc.org/JOTA%20Flyer.pdf

                                        As it appears you are in my neck of the woods, I would like to invite
                                        you and any one you would like to bring out to our JOTA event. We
                                        need all the help we can get and would welcome your assistance. We
                                        especially need help Sunday, as there will be three morning rotations
                                        and then we need to tear down. Please feel free to contact me
                                        directly.

                                        Kent Ochs
                                        W9KAO

                                        wrote:

                                        > I need some assistance here.
                                        >
                                        > Our Ham Radio Club offer Radio, Electronics and Electricity Merit
                                        Badge
                                        > classes to over 2000 Scouts, we get 20 takers. I was wondering why.
                                        Then I
                                        > realized that at least out here in Illinois technology and Scouting
                                        do not
                                        > mix. Scoutmasters frown on any sort of technology and won't allow
                                        their kids
                                        > to bring anything technological on events. The technical merit
                                        badges are
                                        > not Eagle required and there are plenty of easier merit badges than
                                        Radio,
                                        > Electronics and Electricity.
                                        >
                                        > I approached our Council and I was told that was the way it is. I
                                        also was
                                        > told not to bother with JOTA because no one would come out.
                                        >
                                        > So, what gives? Is this only in my area or is this some sort of
                                        larger
                                        > phenomena? Can anyone offer any feedback?
                                        >
                                        > Thanks
                                        >
                                        > 73, Joe, N9IFG
                                        > Assistant Regional Coordinator, AYSO Region 428 (http://ayso428.com)
                                        > Prez, WeLCARS ( <http://welcars.no-ip.org> http://welcars.org)
                                        > Advisor, Venture Crew 743 ( <http://743.no-ip.org> http://743.no-
                                        ip.org)
                                        > IRLP Node 4239

                                      • Dave Adsit
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 4, 2007
                                          Good info and you guys aren't alone. I have been pushing radio and the radio merit badge for 2-3 years now.
                                          From what I see, as long as you bring the program our council will normally support it. You need to show that
                                          your program is popular and well attended so start out small and grow from there. The past two years at Summer
                                          Camp, I've had to teach the Radio merit badge at different locations. But that's okay because I was offering
                                          something new and "cool" to the scouts. There's only about two other hams that help me with all this on a
                                          regular basis and I know there's other ham/scouters/scouts in our council area. I approached the council about
                                          doing JOTA and they were basically open arms. SO, this will be the first year that we offer JOTA at our scout
                                          camp the entire weekend. Although it will be done in conjunction with an Explorer weekend, I have done just
                                          about everything I could to publicize around the council. Now we just wait and see what happens.

                                          Bottom line is don't get discouraged. If you have the drive and desire to put on the program, eventually it will
                                          catch on and you can run with it. Solicit a local ham club or just get other hams around your area to put together
                                          a "Field Day" type setup.

                                          Good Luck,
                                          Dave Adsit
                                          Stephens City, VA