JOTA 2007

  • ekimyerac
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 14, 2007
      Our JOTA plans include 3 HF and 2 VHF stations this year. We are the
      Inland Northwest Council, Spokane, WA, and the Lilac City Amateur
      Radio Club and Spokane County ARES.

      My question is this: Does anyone have a intro or such that they give
      when the boys arrive?

      Our JOTA is done at Camp Cowles and we are usually a stop on the days
      activities. As we try to get more organized I am trying to have
      something to say to everyone as they come. I am looking for 30 - 1
      min blurb.

      Thsnks,

      Mike, KD7GHZ
    • Andrew
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 14, 2007
        Our Group will be running a JOTA station this year from Kariong on the
        NSW Central Coast. Listen out for VK2SAQ. 1st Asquith Scout Group.
        Will be on IRLP, HF and local UHF & VHF.

        73
        PITT
        VK2FACD

        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "ekimyerac" <ekimyerac@...> wrote:

        > Our JOTA plans include 3 HF and 2 VHF stations this year. We are the
        > Inland Northwest Council, Spokane, WA, and the Lilac City Amateur
        > Radio Club and Spokane County ARES.
        >
        > My question is this: Does anyone have a intro or such that they give
        > when the boys arrive?
        >
        > Our JOTA is done at Camp Cowles and we are usually a stop on the days
        > activities. As we try to get more organized I am trying to have
        > something to say to everyone as they come. I am looking for 30 - 1
        > min blurb.
        >
        > Thsnks,
        >
        > Mike, KD7GHZ

      • Tony Wooten AB5RO
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 5, 2007
          On JOTA weekend our local council also runs it's big SCOR-O
          orenteering event, and the two events compete with each other with
          JOTA finishing last. This year the Council has taken a renewed
          interest in Scout radio ( allowing us me to install a ham station at
          out Worth Ranch Scout Camp for summer camp 2008 being the largest
          new activity, along with Radio merit badge and a complete Scout
          Radio program. We have formed the Worth Ranch Amateur Radio
          Association, and are well on our way toward the station and prgram
          being open for summer camp 2008.) They have asked me if we could
          expand the program amd have radio stations at out other two
          summercamps by summer camp 2008!.I was asked if I was going to run a
          JOTA station this year, and I told out council program ex. yes. he
          asked me if I would be willing to operate JOTA from the main Camp 9
          dinning hall at the SCOR-0 event this year, so I will have a JOTA
          station operating from Sid Richardson Scout Camp (SR2) on Saturday
          Oct.20 from 0700 CDT through 2300 CDT on the JOTA freqs. I hope to
          hear from many scouts. It has taken us several years of hounding
          the council about Scout Radio programs to get this type of positive
          reaction from them, but i am a BIG HOUND, so keep on hounding.

          Thank you all for all you do for scouting!!
          YIS
          Tony Wooten AB5RO
          Crew Adviser
          Crew 1875
        • Robert Bruninga
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 5, 2007
            If any JOTA stations also run APRS as a side show:

            Remember, that the network is supposed to pass any message to
            "SCOUTS" from anywhere to anywhere. So send a CQ JOTA message
            to SCOUTS is a way of finding other groups.

            Also add SCOUTS to your message-group list, so that your station
            will receive any such messages.

            This is completely dependent on the local APRS I-gate operator
            having added the callsign SCOUTS to his "pass-to-RF list" in his
            area. Many have not done this, so there are no guarantees.

            Bob, WB4APR
          • NA0S - Kevin Cutright
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 5, 2007

              How would I do this running UI-View?

              Thanks.

              Kevin, na0s

              If any JOTA stations also run APRS as a side show:

              Remember, that the network is supposed to pass any message to
              "SCOUTS" from anywhere to anywhere. So send a CQ JOTA message
              to SCOUTS is a way of finding other groups.

              Also add SCOUTS to your message-group list, so that your station
              will receive any such messages.

              This is completely dependent on the local APRS I-gate operator
              having added the callsign SCOUTS to his "pass-to-RF list" in his
              area. Many have not done this, so there are no guarantees.

              Bob, WB4APR

              Virus Database (VPS): 000778-4, 10/05/2007
              Tested on: 10/5/2007 8:08:36 PM

              Virus Database (VPS): 000778-4, 10/05/2007
              Tested on: 10/5/2007 8:11:07 PM

            • Bob Bruninga
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 5, 2007
                > How would I do this using UI-View?

                >> ... APRS is supposed to pass messages to "SCOUTS"
                >> to RF, so that scouts can easily find each other...

                The problem with this approach is that it required action on the part of a 3rd party (an Igate operator) to set it up. AA5PL, Pete has suggested a much better method that will work in the field for everyone that wants to QSO without dependence on a 3rd party!.

                Pete suggests a "Registered Broadcast Server". The way it works is that you send an APRS message to the server indicating your intention to join the SCOUTS Broadcast. At this point, you will receive a copy of any SCOUTS broadcasts. You can send up to one outgoing "broadcast" once every 30 minutes. After 12 hours, you will time-out of the server.

                Volunteer programmer? We need something like this written!

                This will greatly facilitate APRS-two-way communications through the APRS-IS which is sorely needed in APRS today to get back on track with what APRS is all about. Exchanging information between live people.

                Something like this:

                TO: CQSERV MSG:CQ SCOUTS
                This will log you into the broadcast server for "SCOUTS".
                You get a reply message: "Logged in to SCOUTS at 2236z"

                To: SCOUTS MSG:CQ JOTA, from troop 995 Annapolis Maryland.
                When you send this message, the server will broadcast
                this message one-time-only with no ACK to all
                logged on users of SCOUTS.

                TO: CQSERV MSG:Logoff
                This will log you off if you are finished with your
                event to cut down QRM from the server through your IGate.

                This could work for SATERN, or YOUTH, or any other subset of come-as-you are groups that are widely dispersed but may need to contact each other from the field.

                Wow, I think this could really be a new dimension for APRS! Thanks Pete... (or it could be melt-down... depending on usage). But we can throttle it back if it gets out of hand. But without it, we have no way of contacting remote groups through the APRS-IS without apriori knowledge. And APRS was never supposed to be dependent on apriori knowledge to facilitate communications?

                ANy programmer with time on his hands?

                WB4APR, Bob
              • D.G.
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 7, 2007
                  Team:

                  We are thinking of being near Mt. Baden Powell during JOTA (near Wrightwood, CA).

                  I may make the hike up to the summit and try some 10 meter 29.390 SSB contacts.

                  I have heard rumors that there may be other scout troops hiking during this time.

                  Anyone have any information on this?

                  Thanks...

                • Robert Giuliani W1RPG
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 18, 2007
                    The Stratford Amateur Radio Club, W1ORS will be active during JOTA on
                    Saturday, October 20, 2007.
                    We have sent out invitations via local scout councils.
                    We will be on 20m SSB, 40 SSB and 40M PSK31 as well as 10m SSB as their
                    is a large 10m operator base in the area.
                    Also, we will have 2m FM on 146.55.
                    See you on the air.

                    CQ JOTA
                  • Andrew
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 18, 2007

                      1st Asquith Scout Group will be on air from around 1300TC Friday til 0400UTC Sunday. We be using UHF, VHF and IRLP Node 6060

                      Unfortunately we weren’t able to get the HF radio.

                      Callsign is VK2SAQ with operators VK2KVJ, VK2FACD, VK2FACF, VK2FTPC.

                      We will be located at - 33°26'33.95"S 151°16'26.90"E

                      There will be plenty of Joeys, Cubs and Scouts willing to speak on the radio.

                      Points are available for the Scouting 100 Radio Award.

                      Yours in Scouting,

                      Andrew

                      VK2FACD