Re: [ScoutRadio] Greetings and Getting involved in amateur radio

  • Allan R. Batteiger
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 20, 2007
      Joe Serocki wrote:

      > Greetings-
      >
      > Just wanted to say hey as the newbie in the group. I have some
      > resources and links you all might find useful on our web page
      > (http://welcars.org) related to Scouting and radio.
      >
      > We hosted a class for the Electricity, Electronics and Radio merit
      > badges which had an attendance of 20+ kids, and a couple went on to
      > get their Technician licenses at our hamfest/VE testing session.
      > Pictures are on the web page, under the Events section you will see
      > 20+ kids soldering their kits together (with NO accidents, which was
      > amazing).
      >
      > I am always looking for ideas and sharing information, bring it on!
      >
      > 73, Joe, N9IFG
      >
      > Assistant Regional Coordinator, AYSO Region 428 (http://ayso428.com)
      >
      > Prez, WeLCARS (___http://welcars.org_ <http://welcars.no-ip.org>)
      >
      > Advisor, Venture Crew 743 (___http://743.no-ip.org_)
      >
      > IRLP Node 4239

      Joe
      Here in Plano TX ( Just north of Dallas) we have a number of Amateurs
      active in scouting. Some of the things we do, we sponser several RMB
      classes during the year, HAMCOM is our regional Amateur Radio
      convention- there we allow youth under 18 in for free, and host a RMB
      class ( 80+ scouts got the RMB this year). We also try to have a JOTA
      station active each year, and hold RMB classes at winter camp. This
      year we are exploring the idea of a Technician class at Winter camp.
      Several of the Scout camp now have Amateur Radio stations and or
      repeaters located permanently at the camps.

      Allan - WB5QNG