Re: [ScoutRadio] Re: Getting Councils involved in Amateur Radio

  • D.G.
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 8, 2007
      We have gotten some great feed back that alot of councils are using this video to create interest for the Radio MB.

      wt2g <wt2g@...> wrote:

      Do you have any registered MB councelors in your districts or in
      council? This would relieve the fear of outsiders. But my problem is
      how do you drag the council kicking and screaming into the 21 century.
      Both my council and the adjoining counties council have shown little
      intrest to have a program.

      Yours in Scouting
      TED WT2G

    • William Albert
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 9, 2007
        That is EXACTLY what I said. You can do it, just not overnight. I AM
        looking for obstacles so I can find ways around them. I teach RMB at
        our winter camp. So I'm NOT part of the problem. The council IS. We
        have wanted to set up a station at our local camp and have run
        into "obstacles" getting it going. I donated ALL the gear already, we
        just need a place to put it up. So far no deal.

      • k2gw@arrl.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 9, 2007

          > But my
          > problem is
          > how do you drag the council kicking and screaming into the 21
          > century.
          > Both my council and the adjoining counties council have shown
          > little
          > intrest to have a program.
          Actually that's simple as long as you can find a Radio Merit Badge counselor who's already registered and active in Scouting.  Just plan a Radio Merit Badge day with him or her per the guidelines on

          And then publicize it with flyers at the local district roundtable to the unit leaders. One doesn't need "council approval" or anything else like that for this if you don't use the council facilities.

          If you build it they will come.  Eventually, don't be surprised if the council later takes credit for the idea ;-).  We now have to turn kids away once we get 60 signed up each year!

          73

          Gary, K2GW

        • joeserocki
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 19, 2007
            We don't get around this issue, we embrace it and I require the
            people that work with youth in our Amateur Radio Club to be
            registered members of our co-sponsored Venture Crew and pass the
            checks and more important BE INSURED!

            73, Joe, N9IFG
            Assistant Regional Coordinator, AYSO Region 428 (http://ayso428.com)
            Prez, WeLCARS (http://welcars.org)
            Advisor, Venture Crew 743 (http://743.no-ip.org)
            IRLP Node 4239

            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Hoitt" <robhoitt@...> wrote:

            > Rue;
            > The thing to remember with Scout Councils is that you are dealing
            with
            > professionals who are required to stick to policy. I know when we
            built up
            > our section program in New Hampshire that we had some folks who
            wanted to
            > help, but were not able to pass the BSA's Youth Protection
            Background
            > Checks. (We had one individual who offered to volunteer who was
            also on the
            > known offender registry as having molested a youth under the age of
            13.)
            > Ensuring the safety of the participants was a critical behind the
            scenes job
            > of my position in New Hampshire as we had to maintain discretion and
            > professionalism throughout. If we had ever had an issue, it would
            have
            > made the entire ham community look bad, so ensuring the safety of
            the youth
            > was a critial step. While we didn't require hams to become
            registered
            > members of the BSA, we did require in the beginning that at least
            two BSA
            > registered adults be present at any event that was run under the
            section's
            > auspices. Luckilly we established a partnership early on with the
            council
            > and we had a few council folks who were non-hams want to help out,
            so these
            > folks filled this gap.
            >
            > The truth is that many councils don't promote JOTA all to heavily
            becasue of
            > their fear of someone they don't know. This concern really was an
            asset in
            > the development of our council-wide JOTA program. The reality was,
            their
            > concerns made it easier to create the council JOTA program. They
            wanted to
            > ensure safety, so they provided the location (a council
            camp/museum) and the
            > minimum 2 vounteers in the docents who worked the museum. We had
            > professionals visit every year just to see what we were up to, and
            they
            > always left with good impressions as every year we sought to keep
            well above
            > the adult/youth ratios they required.
            >
            > --
            > Rob Hoitt, N1FSK
            > n1fsk@...

          • Rue Stuteville
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 23, 2007
              Good morning,
              I have been having trouble keeping my hotmail account working. It
              seems like everyday I have to reactivate it.
              I would like to thank everyone who responded to my getting scout
              councils more involved in amateur radio. The responses were all very
              good and it seems like all councils all dance to the same drum
              (money). Well we all know it takes that to have a program, but they
              should all realize that if you have a great program people will
              respond with donations.
              Have been in scouting since I 949, I have seen a lot of changes some
              good some not so good. The one I will always remember is a remark from
              the scouter who was our Council Executive. I got to know him very well
              because he was very involved in the program, I joined the military and
              had been away for several years and I was home on leave. I went to
              visit him and he had an open door policy, unheard of in our council
              now. They have a lock on the door to the professionals now, you have
              to have them call to see them or have an appointment. Well our council
              had over 15,000 scouts and more than 5,000 volunteers at the time. The
              professional staff numbered around 10 including the office staff and
              the field staff. Now we have less than 10,000 scouts and around 5,000
              volunteers. We have 3 times the professional staff now so you can see
              the need for always looking for money. Well I went right into his
              office because it opened right into the main lobby. We talked for
              awhile and he said that scouting was really changing. I asked what he
              meant and he said that professional scouting was changing, it was no
              longer a profession it was now just a job. I didn't know just what he
              meant and he said they were getting all the benefits that regulars
              jobs had like life insurance and health benefits and retirement. Now
              that they had that people would become professionals because they
              wanted a job and not for the love of the scouting program. How true he
              was!
              I have served for two years as the District Chairman and that was an
              eye opener, and in my years in the scouting program I think I have
              seen all the things that was said as to why councils don't like
              outsiders as merit badge counselors. I have seen the people in
              scouting who are only here to pray on the youth, one our worse ones
              was a professional.
              I have some good news from the council that I wrote about to begin
              with. The ham has had people who are ham and in the scouting program
              step up and say they would become counselors for Radio Merit Badge, so
              this worked out great and he is happy.
              From the looks of things in the amateur radio world there are more and
              more youth getting involved, the more articles that I read the more I
              see about our involved youth. World Radio has an article on the last
              page of the September's news about the "Young Ham of the Year". He is
              a scout and his project for Eagle involved making and donating 30 220
              j-pole antennas to the Carolinas Amateur Radio Emergency Services
              (CARES). QST had an article on the JOTA, and the scholarships awarded
              to 61 amateurs and there is a lot of smiling young faces there. I see
              a lots of you amateurs who are working in scouting doing a great job,
              keep it up!!

              Rue "Rudy" Stuteville KA4PLH
              Asst. Section Manager, Scouting and Youth
              Virginia Section