Re: Getting Councils involved in Amateur Radio

  • William Albert
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 7, 2007
      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Wilson" <k2gw@...> wrote:

      > Actually, I would say the District Executive is not the person for
      > an "outsider" to contact about an esoteric program. They're
      awfully
      > busy with other duties.

      I don't know how it is in your Council, but in mine, if you don't
      want to donate money or "stuff", the council won't even talk to
      you. I won't even let FOS into my area, all they want is money to
      pay their Dist. Exec and underlings. My district even sold a Scout
      camp that had been given to the Council and had been in used or over
      30 years just to pay off debit.

      Go to the local Troop, where you can do the most good.

      > I run a Radio Merit Badge Day each year using 14 hams who are not
      > registered with BSA, but the 4 of us who are registered with BSA
      allow
      > us to easily meet the BSA Youth Protection Plan guidelines for the
      > event.

      This wont fly at a BSA camp anymore, at least in Texas. EVERYONE
      that stays over night now MUST have a background check PERIOD. If
      you are just doing it on a Saturday at your Charter Org. maybe.
    • rmphillipssr2004
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 7, 2007
        I have been reading all the e-mail about doing the Radio MB and it makes
        me very happy. I am in Texas and have been part of doing the Radio MB at
        both HamCom and at our Council camps in C-10 during Winter Camp.

        At HamCom 2007 we had 88 Scouts complete the Radio MB in June, 2007 and
        14 at the MB Collage at the end of July.

        One thing is that per BSA and the State of Texas require that you have a
        background check and youth protection [Done On-line Only & have copys]
        for each person if the camp is/or over 72 hour. We do not have to have
        this if the campout is < 72 hours.

        I hope this iformation will help all of you. Keep up the good work.

        YIS&OA / 73's,

        Richard

        KB5YBQ / EMT-B / V-97 / WB-37 OWL

        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "William Albert" <cmoprcc@...> wrote:

        > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Wilson" k2gw@ wrote:
        >

        > > Actually, I would say the District Executive is not the person for
        > > an "outsider" to contact about an esoteric program. They're
        > awfully
        > > busy with other duties.
        >
        > I don't know how it is in your Council, but in mine, if you don't
        > want to donate money or "stuff", the council won't even talk to
        > you. I won't even let FOS into my area, all they want is money to
        > pay their Dist. Exec and underlings. My district even sold a Scout
        > camp that had been given to the Council and had been in used or over
        > 30 years just to pay off debit.
        >
        > Go to the local Troop, where you can do the most good.
        >

        > > I run a Radio Merit Badge Day each year using 14 hams who are not
        > > registered with BSA, but the 4 of us who are registered with BSA
        > allow
        > > us to easily meet the BSA Youth Protection Plan guidelines for the
        > > event.
        > >
        > This wont fly at a BSA camp anymore, at least in Texas. EVERYONE
        > that stays over night now MUST have a background check PERIOD. If
        > you are just doing it on a Saturday at your Charter Org. maybe.

      • Gary Wilson
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 8, 2007
          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "William Albert" <cmoprcc@...> wrote:
          > This wont fly at a BSA camp anymore, at least in Texas. EVERYONE
          > that stays over night now MUST have a background check PERIOD. If
          > you are just doing it on a Saturday at your Charter Org. maybe.

          There's no reason why a one day Radio Merit badge event neeeds to be at
          a Scout Camp or overnight. We run it at the Sarnoff Corporation each
          year and attract about 60 Scouts. The council even provides an
          insurance certificate to cover it.

          Bottom line. It can be done if you look for solutions instead of
          obstacles. Just get a local ham who is already registered and active
          in Scouting to be your go between the ham community and the council.
          In my case I have been an asssistant Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Roundtable
          Commissioner and Unit Commisisoner for many years, so Council has no
          problem with any of my events that involve outside experts in a
          specialty Merit Badge.

          BTW, that was one of the original goals of the merit badge program in
          the first place. See http://k2gw.tripod.com/radiomeritbadge/ for more
          hints on running such an event.

          73

          Gary, K2GW
        • D.G.
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 8, 2007
            We have gotten some great feed back that alot of councils are using this video to create interest for the Radio MB.

            wt2g <wt2g@...> wrote:

            Do you have any registered MB councelors in your districts or in
            council? This would relieve the fear of outsiders. But my problem is
            how do you drag the council kicking and screaming into the 21 century.
            Both my council and the adjoining counties council have shown little
            intrest to have a program.

            Yours in Scouting
            TED WT2G

          • William Albert
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 9, 2007
              That is EXACTLY what I said. You can do it, just not overnight. I AM
              looking for obstacles so I can find ways around them. I teach RMB at
              our winter camp. So I'm NOT part of the problem. The council IS. We
              have wanted to set up a station at our local camp and have run
              into "obstacles" getting it going. I donated ALL the gear already, we
              just need a place to put it up. So far no deal.

            • k2gw@arrl.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 9, 2007

                > But my
                > problem is
                > how do you drag the council kicking and screaming into the 21
                > century.
                > Both my council and the adjoining counties council have shown
                > little
                > intrest to have a program.
                Actually that's simple as long as you can find a Radio Merit Badge counselor who's already registered and active in Scouting.  Just plan a Radio Merit Badge day with him or her per the guidelines on

                And then publicize it with flyers at the local district roundtable to the unit leaders. One doesn't need "council approval" or anything else like that for this if you don't use the council facilities.

                If you build it they will come.  Eventually, don't be surprised if the council later takes credit for the idea ;-).  We now have to turn kids away once we get 60 signed up each year!

                73

                Gary, K2GW

              • joeserocki
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 19, 2007
                  We don't get around this issue, we embrace it and I require the
                  people that work with youth in our Amateur Radio Club to be
                  registered members of our co-sponsored Venture Crew and pass the
                  checks and more important BE INSURED!

                  73, Joe, N9IFG
                  Assistant Regional Coordinator, AYSO Region 428 (http://ayso428.com)
                  Prez, WeLCARS (http://welcars.org)
                  Advisor, Venture Crew 743 (http://743.no-ip.org)
                  IRLP Node 4239

                  --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Hoitt" <robhoitt@...> wrote:

                  > Rue;
                  > The thing to remember with Scout Councils is that you are dealing
                  with
                  > professionals who are required to stick to policy. I know when we
                  built up
                  > our section program in New Hampshire that we had some folks who
                  wanted to
                  > help, but were not able to pass the BSA's Youth Protection
                  Background
                  > Checks. (We had one individual who offered to volunteer who was
                  also on the
                  > known offender registry as having molested a youth under the age of
                  13.)
                  > Ensuring the safety of the participants was a critical behind the
                  scenes job
                  > of my position in New Hampshire as we had to maintain discretion and
                  > professionalism throughout. If we had ever had an issue, it would
                  have
                  > made the entire ham community look bad, so ensuring the safety of
                  the youth
                  > was a critial step. While we didn't require hams to become
                  registered
                  > members of the BSA, we did require in the beginning that at least
                  two BSA
                  > registered adults be present at any event that was run under the
                  section's
                  > auspices. Luckilly we established a partnership early on with the
                  council
                  > and we had a few council folks who were non-hams want to help out,
                  so these
                  > folks filled this gap.
                  >
                  > The truth is that many councils don't promote JOTA all to heavily
                  becasue of
                  > their fear of someone they don't know. This concern really was an
                  asset in
                  > the development of our council-wide JOTA program. The reality was,
                  their
                  > concerns made it easier to create the council JOTA program. They
                  wanted to
                  > ensure safety, so they provided the location (a council
                  camp/museum) and the
                  > minimum 2 vounteers in the docents who worked the museum. We had
                  > professionals visit every year just to see what we were up to, and
                  they
                  > always left with good impressions as every year we sought to keep
                  well above
                  > the adult/youth ratios they required.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Rob Hoitt, N1FSK
                  > n1fsk@...

                • Rue Stuteville
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 23, 2007
                    Good morning,
                    I have been having trouble keeping my hotmail account working. It
                    seems like everyday I have to reactivate it.
                    I would like to thank everyone who responded to my getting scout
                    councils more involved in amateur radio. The responses were all very
                    good and it seems like all councils all dance to the same drum
                    (money). Well we all know it takes that to have a program, but they
                    should all realize that if you have a great program people will
                    respond with donations.
                    Have been in scouting since I 949, I have seen a lot of changes some
                    good some not so good. The one I will always remember is a remark from
                    the scouter who was our Council Executive. I got to know him very well
                    because he was very involved in the program, I joined the military and
                    had been away for several years and I was home on leave. I went to
                    visit him and he had an open door policy, unheard of in our council
                    now. They have a lock on the door to the professionals now, you have
                    to have them call to see them or have an appointment. Well our council
                    had over 15,000 scouts and more than 5,000 volunteers at the time. The
                    professional staff numbered around 10 including the office staff and
                    the field staff. Now we have less than 10,000 scouts and around 5,000
                    volunteers. We have 3 times the professional staff now so you can see
                    the need for always looking for money. Well I went right into his
                    office because it opened right into the main lobby. We talked for
                    awhile and he said that scouting was really changing. I asked what he
                    meant and he said that professional scouting was changing, it was no
                    longer a profession it was now just a job. I didn't know just what he
                    meant and he said they were getting all the benefits that regulars
                    jobs had like life insurance and health benefits and retirement. Now
                    that they had that people would become professionals because they
                    wanted a job and not for the love of the scouting program. How true he
                    was!
                    I have served for two years as the District Chairman and that was an
                    eye opener, and in my years in the scouting program I think I have
                    seen all the things that was said as to why councils don't like
                    outsiders as merit badge counselors. I have seen the people in
                    scouting who are only here to pray on the youth, one our worse ones
                    was a professional.
                    I have some good news from the council that I wrote about to begin
                    with. The ham has had people who are ham and in the scouting program
                    step up and say they would become counselors for Radio Merit Badge, so
                    this worked out great and he is happy.
                    From the looks of things in the amateur radio world there are more and
                    more youth getting involved, the more articles that I read the more I
                    see about our involved youth. World Radio has an article on the last
                    page of the September's news about the "Young Ham of the Year". He is
                    a scout and his project for Eagle involved making and donating 30 220
                    j-pole antennas to the Carolinas Amateur Radio Emergency Services
                    (CARES). QST had an article on the JOTA, and the scholarships awarded
                    to 61 amateurs and there is a lot of smiling young faces there. I see
                    a lots of you amateurs who are working in scouting doing a great job,
                    keep it up!!

                    Rue "Rudy" Stuteville KA4PLH
                    Asst. Section Manager, Scouting and Youth
                    Virginia Section