Re: Getting Councils involved in Amateur Radio

  • Gary Wilson
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 6, 2007
      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Rue Stuteville" <onamo@...> wrote:

      He
      > contacted the District Executive to try and find out about getting
      > this setup. He said he was nice and cordial and said he would get back
      > to him, this has not happened. He said that he really acted like he
      > would rather have someone involved in scouting and not just some ham
      > off the street doing this. What is wrong with this executive does he
      > not know this how you get people involved in scouting. This ham wanted
      > to be a Radio Merit Badge counselor and was trying to find out how to
      > do it.

      Actually, I would say the District Executive is not the person for
      an "outsider" to contact about an esoteric program. They're awfully
      busy with other duties. One would have better luck first going through
      a local unit to register as an adult member and then applying to be a
      Merit Badge counselor.

      Another approach is to contact the volunteer member of of the District
      Committee responsible for program or activities. Explain what you want
      to offer and how to get registered as a member at large. They will
      usually jump at the opportunity for such a program to be offered.

      I run a Radio Merit Badge Day each year using 14 hams who are not
      registered with BSA, but the 4 of us who are registered with BSA allow
      us to easily meet the BSA Youth Protection Plan guidelines for the
      event.

      I've had similar success with Brid Study MB events as well using
      outside AUdubon instructors as long as there's a registered adult with
      YPP training present.

      73

      Gary, K2GW
    • wt2g
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 7, 2007
        Do you have any registered MB councelors in your districts or in
        council? This would relieve the fear of outsiders. But my problem is
        how do you drag the council kicking and screaming into the 21 century.
        Both my council and the adjoining counties council have shown little
        intrest to have a program.

        Yours in Scouting
        TED WT2G
      • William Albert
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 7, 2007
          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Wilson" <k2gw@...> wrote:

          > Actually, I would say the District Executive is not the person for
          > an "outsider" to contact about an esoteric program. They're
          awfully
          > busy with other duties.

          I don't know how it is in your Council, but in mine, if you don't
          want to donate money or "stuff", the council won't even talk to
          you. I won't even let FOS into my area, all they want is money to
          pay their Dist. Exec and underlings. My district even sold a Scout
          camp that had been given to the Council and had been in used or over
          30 years just to pay off debit.

          Go to the local Troop, where you can do the most good.

          > I run a Radio Merit Badge Day each year using 14 hams who are not
          > registered with BSA, but the 4 of us who are registered with BSA
          allow
          > us to easily meet the BSA Youth Protection Plan guidelines for the
          > event.

          This wont fly at a BSA camp anymore, at least in Texas. EVERYONE
          that stays over night now MUST have a background check PERIOD. If
          you are just doing it on a Saturday at your Charter Org. maybe.
        • rmphillipssr2004
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 7, 2007
            I have been reading all the e-mail about doing the Radio MB and it makes
            me very happy. I am in Texas and have been part of doing the Radio MB at
            both HamCom and at our Council camps in C-10 during Winter Camp.

            At HamCom 2007 we had 88 Scouts complete the Radio MB in June, 2007 and
            14 at the MB Collage at the end of July.

            One thing is that per BSA and the State of Texas require that you have a
            background check and youth protection [Done On-line Only & have copys]
            for each person if the camp is/or over 72 hour. We do not have to have
            this if the campout is < 72 hours.

            I hope this iformation will help all of you. Keep up the good work.

            YIS&OA / 73's,

            Richard

            KB5YBQ / EMT-B / V-97 / WB-37 OWL

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 8, 2007
              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "William Albert" <cmoprcc@...> wrote:
              > This wont fly at a BSA camp anymore, at least in Texas. EVERYONE
              > that stays over night now MUST have a background check PERIOD. If
              > you are just doing it on a Saturday at your Charter Org. maybe.

              There's no reason why a one day Radio Merit badge event neeeds to be at
              a Scout Camp or overnight. We run it at the Sarnoff Corporation each
              year and attract about 60 Scouts. The council even provides an
              insurance certificate to cover it.

              Bottom line. It can be done if you look for solutions instead of
              obstacles. Just get a local ham who is already registered and active
              in Scouting to be your go between the ham community and the council.
              In my case I have been an asssistant Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Roundtable
              Commissioner and Unit Commisisoner for many years, so Council has no
              problem with any of my events that involve outside experts in a
              specialty Merit Badge.

              BTW, that was one of the original goals of the merit badge program in
              the first place. See http://k2gw.tripod.com/radiomeritbadge/ for more
              hints on running such an event.

              73

              Gary, K2GW
            • D.G.

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 9, 2007
                  That is EXACTLY what I said. You can do it, just not overnight. I AM
                  looking for obstacles so I can find ways around them. I teach RMB at
                  our winter camp. So I'm NOT part of the problem. The council IS. We
                  have wanted to set up a station at our local camp and have run
                  into "obstacles" getting it going. I donated ALL the gear already, we
                  just need a place to put it up. So far no deal.

                • k2gw@arrl.net
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 9, 2007

                    > But my
                    > problem is
                    > how do you drag the council kicking and screaming into the 21
                    > century.
                    > Both my council and the adjoining counties council have shown
                    > little
                    > intrest to have a program.
                    Actually that's simple as long as you can find a Radio Merit Badge counselor who's already registered and active in Scouting.  Just plan a Radio Merit Badge day with him or her per the guidelines on

                    And then publicize it with flyers at the local district roundtable to the unit leaders. One doesn't need "council approval" or anything else like that for this if you don't use the council facilities.

                    If you build it they will come.  Eventually, don't be surprised if the council later takes credit for the idea ;-).  We now have to turn kids away once we get 60 signed up each year!

                    73

                    Gary, K2GW

                  • joeserocki
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 19, 2007
                      We don't get around this issue, we embrace it and I require the
                      people that work with youth in our Amateur Radio Club to be
                      registered members of our co-sponsored Venture Crew and pass the
                      checks and more important BE INSURED!

                      73, Joe, N9IFG
                      Assistant Regional Coordinator, AYSO Region 428 (http://ayso428.com)
                      Prez, WeLCARS (http://welcars.org)
                      Advisor, Venture Crew 743 (http://743.no-ip.org)
                      IRLP Node 4239

                      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Hoitt" <robhoitt@...> wrote:

                      > Rue;
                      > The thing to remember with Scout Councils is that you are dealing
                      with
                      > professionals who are required to stick to policy. I know when we
                      built up
                      > our section program in New Hampshire that we had some folks who
                      wanted to
                      > help, but were not able to pass the BSA's Youth Protection
                      Background
                      > Checks. (We had one individual who offered to volunteer who was
                      also on the
                      > known offender registry as having molested a youth under the age of
                      13.)
                      > Ensuring the safety of the participants was a critical behind the
                      scenes job
                      > of my position in New Hampshire as we had to maintain discretion and
                      > professionalism throughout. If we had ever had an issue, it would
                      have
                      > made the entire ham community look bad, so ensuring the safety of
                      the youth
                      > was a critial step. While we didn't require hams to become
                      registered
                      > members of the BSA, we did require in the beginning that at least
                      two BSA
                      > registered adults be present at any event that was run under the
                      section's
                      > auspices. Luckilly we established a partnership early on with the
                      council
                      > and we had a few council folks who were non-hams want to help out,
                      so these
                      > folks filled this gap.
                      >
                      > The truth is that many councils don't promote JOTA all to heavily
                      becasue of
                      > their fear of someone they don't know. This concern really was an
                      asset in
                      > the development of our council-wide JOTA program. The reality was,
                      their
                      > concerns made it easier to create the council JOTA program. They
                      wanted to
                      > ensure safety, so they provided the location (a council
                      camp/museum) and the
                      > minimum 2 vounteers in the docents who worked the museum. We had
                      > professionals visit every year just to see what we were up to, and
                      they
                      > always left with good impressions as every year we sought to keep
                      well above
                      > the adult/youth ratios they required.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Rob Hoitt, N1FSK
                      > n1fsk@...

                    • Rue Stuteville
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 23, 2007
                        Good morning,
                        I have been having trouble keeping my hotmail account working. It
                        seems like everyday I have to reactivate it.
                        I would like to thank everyone who responded to my getting scout
                        councils more involved in amateur radio. The responses were all very
                        good and it seems like all councils all dance to the same drum
                        (money). Well we all know it takes that to have a program, but they
                        should all realize that if you have a great program people will
                        respond with donations.
                        Have been in scouting since I 949, I have seen a lot of changes some
                        good some not so good. The one I will always remember is a remark from
                        the scouter who was our Council Executive. I got to know him very well
                        because he was very involved in the program, I joined the military and
                        had been away for several years and I was home on leave. I went to
                        visit him and he had an open door policy, unheard of in our council
                        now. They have a lock on the door to the professionals now, you have
                        to have them call to see them or have an appointment. Well our council
                        had over 15,000 scouts and more than 5,000 volunteers at the time. The
                        professional staff numbered around 10 including the office staff and
                        the field staff. Now we have less than 10,000 scouts and around 5,000
                        volunteers. We have 3 times the professional staff now so you can see
                        the need for always looking for money. Well I went right into his
                        office because it opened right into the main lobby. We talked for
                        awhile and he said that scouting was really changing. I asked what he
                        meant and he said that professional scouting was changing, it was no
                        longer a profession it was now just a job. I didn't know just what he
                        meant and he said they were getting all the benefits that regulars
                        jobs had like life insurance and health benefits and retirement. Now
                        that they had that people would become professionals because they
                        wanted a job and not for the love of the scouting program. How true he
                        was!
                        I have served for two years as the District Chairman and that was an
                        eye opener, and in my years in the scouting program I think I have
                        seen all the things that was said as to why councils don't like
                        outsiders as merit badge counselors. I have seen the people in
                        scouting who are only here to pray on the youth, one our worse ones
                        was a professional.
                        I have some good news from the council that I wrote about to begin
                        with. The ham has had people who are ham and in the scouting program
                        step up and say they would become counselors for Radio Merit Badge, so
                        this worked out great and he is happy.
                        From the looks of things in the amateur radio world there are more and
                        more youth getting involved, the more articles that I read the more I
                        see about our involved youth. World Radio has an article on the last
                        page of the September's news about the "Young Ham of the Year". He is
                        a scout and his project for Eagle involved making and donating 30 220
                        j-pole antennas to the Carolinas Amateur Radio Emergency Services
                        (CARES). QST had an article on the JOTA, and the scholarships awarded
                        to 61 amateurs and there is a lot of smiling young faces there. I see
                        a lots of you amateurs who are working in scouting doing a great job,
                        keep it up!!

                        Rue "Rudy" Stuteville KA4PLH
                        Asst. Section Manager, Scouting and Youth
                        Virginia Section