RE: [ScoutRadio] (COLA) report

  • Stephen M. Shearer
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2007

      A report of the week:

      Nothing happened the way I had hoped, but it was a good week for Scouting Radio.

      Upon arriving at camp, we noticed one other dual band VHF/UHF antenna on a car in the parking lot.  It turned out to be the Radio Merit Badge instructor (not listed in the camp program – he runs the badge a few nights a week).  This week he was in camp – I think with his troop.  It turned out another troop was in camp with a number of hams, too.  I ran a class after lunch for 10 scouts (one from my troop and the rest from the other troop with hams).  After dinner the camp instructor (and I helped) had 50+ scouts working on the badge “modules” and getting a change to talk on HF.  A few of the leaders did get to talk with the Jambo station at Brownsea Island from the camp club station KB3BOY.

      We all used VHF around camp and it worked great.

      I had a marginal HF long wire with a K2 , but the times I listened, the band was poor.

      It was hot at the campsite. KB3BOY was AC’d – I should have spent more time there.

      The boys taking the merit badge were great to work with and wanted to learn.  I am happy it worked so well.  It gave me the insight I needed to be able to run Radio MB at merit badge collage next winter.

      73, Steve