Re: [ScoutRadio] Getting Councils involved in Amateur Radio

  • Tony Wooten
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 3 2:45 PM
      Hi Rue,
      Great article, I hope you are doing well.  You hit the mail on the head.  A lot of the time our local council executives have a mind set that can discourage outside help.  I have tough the Radio merit badge in our Council for several years with very little interest from Ham Scouters.  Most of my help comes from non scout area clubs who are very involved in supporting the Scouting programs if they are asked.  The problem is that not to many Scouters ask!.  These clubs do classes, testing, and C.E.R.T. training to mention just a few.  I have tried for several years to compile a list of licensed ham Scouters in our District with very little success.  I have a station set up at every camporee, camp out I go on, major District or Council event and JOTA and I helped teach the Radio merit badge on staff with K2BSA at the 2005 National Jamboree.   I always have a sign in sheet and encourage everyone to sign in and give me there contact information and call sign if they are licensed.  I get very few Call Signs.  Many of the Scouts who come to one of my stations go on to earn the Radio merit badge, but I have never been asked to teach the Radio merit badge at any of our Council or District Merit Badge Colleges.  I have been asked to teach it at our neighboring Council.

      I serve the youth in our Council in several positions, I am Crew Adviser for Crew 1875, Unit Commissioner for two units, OA Chapter Adviser, and District Camping Chair.  As DCC I also serve on the Council Camping Committee.  At our last council Camping Committee meeting we discussed ways to improve attendance at our Council summer camps.  (out attendance has been declining for several years in favor of camps with cooler climates and programs).  Some of the Committee members had been conducting focus groups to see what new programs and merit badges the youth would like to see at our summer camps.  One of the merit badges they said they would like to see offered was the Radio merit badge.
      Has a result of the discussions we had at that meeting I will not only be setting up a Radio merit badge course using the course format we used at the National Jamboree at Worth Ranch Scout Camp starting with Summer Camp 2008. I will also be setting up a permanent  Ham station there to support and help advance Amateur Radio and Scouting.  We will be set up to do HF,VHF/UHF, NTS, Emergency communications, APRS, SSTV and eventuly  ATV, Sattolite and additional forms of digital mode.  I have a Ft101 EE HF station, with a Chushcraft ATV3 antenna and an older Kenwood 7950 2m rig that I am donating to the station to start as seeds, and we will see what they produce.  I also have a completely portable emergency communication station which consist of a FT101D HF transciver and FC 20 auto tuner. I used when the Shuttle went down, that I will use to demonstrate Emergency Communications.  I have the Councils blessings but limited support until they see that it will be worth it.  I am forming the Worth Ranch Amateur Radio Association to help set up and support the station and its programs.  I think that I have most everything I need to file for the Club license, and then when I have it, I will file for a Vanity Call to be the the Camps perminate call.  I have myself, two  licensed Scouters, three non licensed Scouters and a two non scout licensed Hams from local clubs involved so far, but pretty much I am the one that is pushing this effort right now, so and help or advice any of you can give me would of Great help. Its a start.

      Thank you for all you do
      Tony Wooten - AB5RO
      Longhorn Council
      Fort Worth, TX.
      Rue  Stutville <onamo@...> wrote:
      Good morning,

      As I sit here working on getting better from being radioactive, and
      that is not the kind with a mike attached. I had the seed implant in
      my prostate and I have to stay away from kids and pregnant women. So I
      am thinking about how we can get our councils and scouting overall
      more involved in amateur radio. The reason for this is I got an email
      from a ham in Northern Virginia who had gone to the local scout troop
      to talk up field day and to invite them to theirs.
      While he was there he was asked to start a Radio Merit Badge class,
      not bring involved in scouting he didn't have a clue about how to do
      it. Being the ASM for Scouting and Youth for the state of Virginia he
      emailed me asking how to go about it. Right away I said I would come
      and help, so I checked where he lived from me. It is about a 6 hour
      trip from my house to Roanoke Va. so I told him it would have to be a
      weekend trip.
      I checked the Blue Ridge Council web site and got all the information
      on who to contact in the district he lives in and sent it to him. He
      contacted the District Executive to try and find out about getting
      this setup. He said he was nice and cordial and said he would get back
      to him, this has not happened. He said that he really acted like he
      would rather have someone involved in scouting and not just some ham
      off the street doing this. What is wrong with this executive does he
      not know this how you get people involved in scouting. This ham wanted
      to be a Radio Merit Badge counselor and was trying to find out how to
      do it.
      The answer to keep amateur radio alive is our youth and where do you
      find them. In the world's largest youth groups Boy and Girl Scouts.
      You only have to look at pictures from places like Dayton and realize
      that we are getting gray. What are some ideas, work on councils to get
      a position on their executive board for emergency preparedness and
      amateur radio. This position should be a ham, they would show how
      scouts could be more involved in their area's disaster preparedness.
      If you have a copy of this months Boy Life take it to your fellow hams
      and clubs. The article on what scouts can do after a tornado is great.
      They are a great pool for help with ARES, invite troops out to see
      what ARES is all about. You may be surprised at the response you get.
      As scouts and hams I don't have to tell you about Jamboree on the Air,
      but have you taken it to your local clubs and ARES group. Get a public
      station set for JOTA, so other people will know about it. This the
      50th year of JOTA something must be fun about it to have lasted this long.
      ARRL is doing a better job with youth actives and pushing scouting,
      but don't you think it could be better. QST does not have a section
      for Youth that I see, I am sure there is enough going on with our
      youth that they need a monthly section devoted entirely on youth and
      youth programs. How about the young lady from Georgia, what a job she
      has done for amateur radio as Georgia's ASM for Scouting and Youth and
      she is a teenager.
      Fred Stevens and I were working on finding out how many ASM for
      Scouting and Youth there were in the country. Well the finger of faith
      kind of hit us both hard, what a lost if he is unable to keep the
      newsletter THE EAGLE going.
      I will close with think about how we as scouts and hams can do more to
      put our hobby before the scouting and youth world. I made a statement
      to a fellow ham about a OA ham group, he said how do you get it
      started. What do you think?

      73's
      Rue "Rudy" Stuteville KA4PLH
      Asst. Section Manager, Scouting and Youth
      Virginia Section

    • Rob Hoitt
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 4 7:27 AM
        Rue;
        The thing to remember with Scout Councils is that you are dealing with professionals who are required to stick to policy. I know when we built up our section program in New Hampshire that we had some folks who wanted to help, but were not able to pass the BSA's Youth Protection Background Checks. (We had one individual who offered to volunteer who was also on the known offender registry as having molested a youth under the age of 13.) Ensuring the safety of the participants was a critical behind the scenes job of my position in New Hampshire as we had to maintain discretion and professionalism throughout. If we had ever had an issue, it would have made the entire ham community look bad, so ensuring the safety of the youth was a critial step.  While we didn't require hams to become registered members of the BSA, we did require in the beginning that at least two BSA registered adults be present at any event that was run under the section's auspices. Luckilly we established a partnership early on with the council and we had a few council folks who were non-hams want to help out, so these folks filled this gap.

        The truth is that many councils don't promote JOTA all to heavily becasue of their fear of someone they don't know. This concern really was an asset in the development of our council-wide JOTA program. The reality was, their concerns made it easier to create the council JOTA program. They wanted to ensure safety, so they provided the location (a council camp/museum) and the minimum 2 vounteers in the docents who worked the museum. We had professionals visit every year just to see what we were up to, and they always left with good impressions as every year we sought to keep well above the adult/youth ratios they required.

        --
        Rob Hoitt, N1FSK
        n1fsk@...
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 6 7:15 AM
          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Rue Stuteville" <onamo@...> wrote:

          He
          > contacted the District Executive to try and find out about getting
          > this setup. He said he was nice and cordial and said he would get back
          > to him, this has not happened. He said that he really acted like he
          > would rather have someone involved in scouting and not just some ham
          > off the street doing this. What is wrong with this executive does he
          > not know this how you get people involved in scouting. This ham wanted
          > to be a Radio Merit Badge counselor and was trying to find out how to
          > do it.

          Actually, I would say the District Executive is not the person for
          an "outsider" to contact about an esoteric program. They're awfully
          busy with other duties. One would have better luck first going through
          a local unit to register as an adult member and then applying to be a
          Merit Badge counselor.

          Another approach is to contact the volunteer member of of the District
          Committee responsible for program or activities. Explain what you want
          to offer and how to get registered as a member at large. They will
          usually jump at the opportunity for such a program to be offered.

          I run a Radio Merit Badge Day each year using 14 hams who are not
          registered with BSA, but the 4 of us who are registered with BSA allow
          us to easily meet the BSA Youth Protection Plan guidelines for the
          event.

          I've had similar success with Brid Study MB events as well using
          outside AUdubon instructors as long as there's a registered adult with
          YPP training present.

          73

          Gary, K2GW
        • wt2g
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 7 6:27 AM
            Do you have any registered MB councelors in your districts or in
            council? This would relieve the fear of outsiders. But my problem is
            how do you drag the council kicking and screaming into the 21 century.
            Both my council and the adjoining counties council have shown little
            intrest to have a program.

            Yours in Scouting
            TED WT2G
          • William Albert
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 7 8:18 AM
              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Wilson" <k2gw@...> wrote:

              > Actually, I would say the District Executive is not the person for
              > an "outsider" to contact about an esoteric program. They're
              awfully
              > busy with other duties.

              I don't know how it is in your Council, but in mine, if you don't
              want to donate money or "stuff", the council won't even talk to
              you. I won't even let FOS into my area, all they want is money to
              pay their Dist. Exec and underlings. My district even sold a Scout
              camp that had been given to the Council and had been in used or over
              30 years just to pay off debit.

              Go to the local Troop, where you can do the most good.

              > I run a Radio Merit Badge Day each year using 14 hams who are not
              > registered with BSA, but the 4 of us who are registered with BSA
              allow
              > us to easily meet the BSA Youth Protection Plan guidelines for the
              > event.

              This wont fly at a BSA camp anymore, at least in Texas. EVERYONE
              that stays over night now MUST have a background check PERIOD. If
              you are just doing it on a Saturday at your Charter Org. maybe.
            • rmphillipssr2004
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 7 8:58 PM
                I have been reading all the e-mail about doing the Radio MB and it makes
                me very happy. I am in Texas and have been part of doing the Radio MB at
                both HamCom and at our Council camps in C-10 during Winter Camp.

                At HamCom 2007 we had 88 Scouts complete the Radio MB in June, 2007 and
                14 at the MB Collage at the end of July.

                One thing is that per BSA and the State of Texas require that you have a
                background check and youth protection [Done On-line Only & have copys]
                for each person if the camp is/or over 72 hour. We do not have to have
                this if the campout is < 72 hours.

                I hope this iformation will help all of you. Keep up the good work.

                YIS&OA / 73's,

                Richard

                KB5YBQ / EMT-B / V-97 / WB-37 OWL

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 8 5:43 AM
                  --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "William Albert" <cmoprcc@...> wrote:
                  > This wont fly at a BSA camp anymore, at least in Texas. EVERYONE
                  > that stays over night now MUST have a background check PERIOD. If
                  > you are just doing it on a Saturday at your Charter Org. maybe.

                  There's no reason why a one day Radio Merit badge event neeeds to be at
                  a Scout Camp or overnight. We run it at the Sarnoff Corporation each
                  year and attract about 60 Scouts. The council even provides an
                  insurance certificate to cover it.

                  Bottom line. It can be done if you look for solutions instead of
                  obstacles. Just get a local ham who is already registered and active
                  in Scouting to be your go between the ham community and the council.
                  In my case I have been an asssistant Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Roundtable
                  Commissioner and Unit Commisisoner for many years, so Council has no
                  problem with any of my events that involve outside experts in a
                  specialty Merit Badge.

                  BTW, that was one of the original goals of the merit badge program in
                  the first place. See http://k2gw.tripod.com/radiomeritbadge/ for more
                  hints on running such an event.

                  73

                  Gary, K2GW
                • D.G.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 9 9:12 AM
                      That is EXACTLY what I said. You can do it, just not overnight. I AM
                      looking for obstacles so I can find ways around them. I teach RMB at
                      our winter camp. So I'm NOT part of the problem. The council IS. We
                      have wanted to set up a station at our local camp and have run
                      into "obstacles" getting it going. I donated ALL the gear already, we
                      just need a place to put it up. So far no deal.

                    • k2gw@arrl.net
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 9 9:13 AM

                        > But my
                        > problem is
                        > how do you drag the council kicking and screaming into the 21
                        > century.
                        > Both my council and the adjoining counties council have shown
                        > little
                        > intrest to have a program.
                        Actually that's simple as long as you can find a Radio Merit Badge counselor who's already registered and active in Scouting.  Just plan a Radio Merit Badge day with him or her per the guidelines on

                        And then publicize it with flyers at the local district roundtable to the unit leaders. One doesn't need "council approval" or anything else like that for this if you don't use the council facilities.

                        If you build it they will come.  Eventually, don't be surprised if the council later takes credit for the idea ;-).  We now have to turn kids away once we get 60 signed up each year!

                        73

                        Gary, K2GW

                      • joeserocki
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 19 10:20 AM
                          We don't get around this issue, we embrace it and I require the
                          people that work with youth in our Amateur Radio Club to be
                          registered members of our co-sponsored Venture Crew and pass the
                          checks and more important BE INSURED!

                          73, Joe, N9IFG
                          Assistant Regional Coordinator, AYSO Region 428 (http://ayso428.com)
                          Prez, WeLCARS (http://welcars.org)
                          Advisor, Venture Crew 743 (http://743.no-ip.org)
                          IRLP Node 4239

                          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Hoitt" <robhoitt@...> wrote:

                          > Rue;
                          > The thing to remember with Scout Councils is that you are dealing
                          with
                          > professionals who are required to stick to policy. I know when we
                          built up
                          > our section program in New Hampshire that we had some folks who
                          wanted to
                          > help, but were not able to pass the BSA's Youth Protection
                          Background
                          > Checks. (We had one individual who offered to volunteer who was
                          also on the
                          > known offender registry as having molested a youth under the age of
                          13.)
                          > Ensuring the safety of the participants was a critical behind the
                          scenes job
                          > of my position in New Hampshire as we had to maintain discretion and
                          > professionalism throughout. If we had ever had an issue, it would
                          have
                          > made the entire ham community look bad, so ensuring the safety of
                          the youth
                          > was a critial step. While we didn't require hams to become
                          registered
                          > members of the BSA, we did require in the beginning that at least
                          two BSA
                          > registered adults be present at any event that was run under the
                          section's
                          > auspices. Luckilly we established a partnership early on with the
                          council
                          > and we had a few council folks who were non-hams want to help out,
                          so these
                          > folks filled this gap.
                          >
                          > The truth is that many councils don't promote JOTA all to heavily
                          becasue of
                          > their fear of someone they don't know. This concern really was an
                          asset in
                          > the development of our council-wide JOTA program. The reality was,
                          their
                          > concerns made it easier to create the council JOTA program. They
                          wanted to
                          > ensure safety, so they provided the location (a council
                          camp/museum) and the
                          > minimum 2 vounteers in the docents who worked the museum. We had
                          > professionals visit every year just to see what we were up to, and
                          they
                          > always left with good impressions as every year we sought to keep
                          well above
                          > the adult/youth ratios they required.
                          >
                          > --
                          > Rob Hoitt, N1FSK
                          > n1fsk@...

                        • Rue Stuteville
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 23 8:43 AM
                            Good morning,
                            I have been having trouble keeping my hotmail account working. It
                            seems like everyday I have to reactivate it.
                            I would like to thank everyone who responded to my getting scout
                            councils more involved in amateur radio. The responses were all very
                            good and it seems like all councils all dance to the same drum
                            (money). Well we all know it takes that to have a program, but they
                            should all realize that if you have a great program people will
                            respond with donations.
                            Have been in scouting since I 949, I have seen a lot of changes some
                            good some not so good. The one I will always remember is a remark from
                            the scouter who was our Council Executive. I got to know him very well
                            because he was very involved in the program, I joined the military and
                            had been away for several years and I was home on leave. I went to
                            visit him and he had an open door policy, unheard of in our council
                            now. They have a lock on the door to the professionals now, you have
                            to have them call to see them or have an appointment. Well our council
                            had over 15,000 scouts and more than 5,000 volunteers at the time. The
                            professional staff numbered around 10 including the office staff and
                            the field staff. Now we have less than 10,000 scouts and around 5,000
                            volunteers. We have 3 times the professional staff now so you can see
                            the need for always looking for money. Well I went right into his
                            office because it opened right into the main lobby. We talked for
                            awhile and he said that scouting was really changing. I asked what he
                            meant and he said that professional scouting was changing, it was no
                            longer a profession it was now just a job. I didn't know just what he
                            meant and he said they were getting all the benefits that regulars
                            jobs had like life insurance and health benefits and retirement. Now
                            that they had that people would become professionals because they
                            wanted a job and not for the love of the scouting program. How true he
                            was!
                            I have served for two years as the District Chairman and that was an
                            eye opener, and in my years in the scouting program I think I have
                            seen all the things that was said as to why councils don't like
                            outsiders as merit badge counselors. I have seen the people in
                            scouting who are only here to pray on the youth, one our worse ones
                            was a professional.
                            I have some good news from the council that I wrote about to begin
                            with. The ham has had people who are ham and in the scouting program
                            step up and say they would become counselors for Radio Merit Badge, so
                            this worked out great and he is happy.
                            From the looks of things in the amateur radio world there are more and
                            more youth getting involved, the more articles that I read the more I
                            see about our involved youth. World Radio has an article on the last
                            page of the September's news about the "Young Ham of the Year". He is
                            a scout and his project for Eagle involved making and donating 30 220
                            j-pole antennas to the Carolinas Amateur Radio Emergency Services
                            (CARES). QST had an article on the JOTA, and the scholarships awarded
                            to 61 amateurs and there is a lot of smiling young faces there. I see
                            a lots of you amateurs who are working in scouting doing a great job,
                            keep it up!!