Re: [ScoutRadio] Not much luck...

  • Dale Lamm
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 24, 2007
      Brad,

      I have been at a BSA camp every Thursday for the past five weeks. There are
      two more weeks to go this camp season. Am QRV from 12:20 PM local till about
      6:30 local. During the six hours, there are perhaps 30 minutes total with
      the mike button pushed down. Most of my time is spent explaining ham radio,
      telling how to get into the hobby, talking about Venturing Crew 73,
      explaining the public service aspects of ham radio, listening to visitor's
      stories, answering questions, etc.

      It takes about 20 minutes to bring a Scout from zero understanding of ham
      radio to making a contact, if all goes well. The odds are against us making
      contact with other BSA camps, although we have on occasion. We are
      especially happy to make contact with anybody who has ever had anything to
      do with scouting. Sometimes we get lucky, like the time we spoke with an
      adult who had some Philmont stories to recount. Earlier this year, we lucked
      onto a 16 year old scout from NJ with a license who was trying for WAS. We
      gave him Ohio. No big deal, but it sure made the boys happy. I put them all
      on the air with the NJ Scout.

      Camp antennas are not the best. Slopers and inverted V's are the general
      rule, with just 100 watts. We don't have a 70 foot tower with a tribander
      (yet!). Lots of what we do during the day is pure NVIS. Around suppertime,
      when most scouts drift away, the good sigs from Europe start to come in.
      That's when I kick back and take great pleasure working from a site with
      very little power line QRM.

      Am glad you had a good time with your camp radio experience. There are
      plenty of interesting people in ham radio with stories to tell that will
      engage the Scout groups.

      73 de NX8J
    • ki4ltx
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 26, 2007
        Brad,

        We operated from Woodruff during the week of June 24-30 (we were in
        Campsite 10, just up from the dining hall). While we made just over 200
        contacts on or about the SCCP frequencies, we made no scout camp
        contacts. I counted about 15 contacts with scouts/scouters who were
        operating from their home QTH, but no scout camp contacts. So our
        experience was not so different from yours. Most of our contacts were
        up and down the East Coast, and into the Midwest. A few contacts on 20
        were into G and OZ land. The majority of contacts were on 40m, with a
        good number on 20m as well. We also made 22 contacts on 80m. We were
        running an FT-857D on an AGM battery, with a 100+' doublet strung
        between two trees at about 40'.

        We will try again next year!

        73,

        John