Re: Not much luck...

  • atlantaguy1232000
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 24, 2007
      Hi Fred,

      Thanks for the thoughts. Actually, the past two weeks, it has been
      very active on the bands. When we were at Woodruff, we worked
      Africa, Germany, England, not to mention several US states. My son
      worked Texas and Kansas on 10 meters three weeks ago. So the
      propogation is there (at least it has been good over the last several
      months).

      Anyway, it seems to be a worthwile effort to keep monitoring per
      SCCP, especially for the next couple of weeks, since there are so
      many boys going to camp.

      73 & YiS,
      Brad, WB5EGI

      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd@...>
      wrote:

      > I've been listening to the SCCP freqs and tuning around the bands
      from time to time. Propagation has been spotty at best down to non-
      existent much of the time. On occasion, a DX window opens into Europe
      or South America, but for me from here in AZ, if there's a stateside
      opening, it's usually to the southern midwest or to CA and seldom at
      the SCCP times.

      > Think Cycle 24.
      >
      > 73 and YIS de Fred K2FRD
      >
      > At 2:32 AM +0000 24/7/07, atlantaguy1232000 wrote:
      > >Hi everyone,
      > >
      > >We took our radio to Woodruff Scout Reservation in Georgia last
      week
      > >and had a great time. Lots of contacts, and lots of interest from
      the
      > >boys. But we had zero luck talking with any other camps or any
      other
      > >scouts.
      > >
      > >I thought when we got home that I would see if anyone else was on
      this
      > >week, but again, no luck so far. So I wonder if hardly any camps
      > >actually get on the air, or whether I have misinterpreted the
      SCCP.
      > >Could someone please give me the real scoop?
      > >
      > >73,
      > >Brad - WB5EGI

    • Dale Lamm
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 24, 2007
        Brad,

        I have been at a BSA camp every Thursday for the past five weeks. There are
        two more weeks to go this camp season. Am QRV from 12:20 PM local till about
        6:30 local. During the six hours, there are perhaps 30 minutes total with
        the mike button pushed down. Most of my time is spent explaining ham radio,
        telling how to get into the hobby, talking about Venturing Crew 73,
        explaining the public service aspects of ham radio, listening to visitor's
        stories, answering questions, etc.

        It takes about 20 minutes to bring a Scout from zero understanding of ham
        radio to making a contact, if all goes well. The odds are against us making
        contact with other BSA camps, although we have on occasion. We are
        especially happy to make contact with anybody who has ever had anything to
        do with scouting. Sometimes we get lucky, like the time we spoke with an
        adult who had some Philmont stories to recount. Earlier this year, we lucked
        onto a 16 year old scout from NJ with a license who was trying for WAS. We
        gave him Ohio. No big deal, but it sure made the boys happy. I put them all
        on the air with the NJ Scout.

        Camp antennas are not the best. Slopers and inverted V's are the general
        rule, with just 100 watts. We don't have a 70 foot tower with a tribander
        (yet!). Lots of what we do during the day is pure NVIS. Around suppertime,
        when most scouts drift away, the good sigs from Europe start to come in.
        That's when I kick back and take great pleasure working from a site with
        very little power line QRM.

        Am glad you had a good time with your camp radio experience. There are
        plenty of interesting people in ham radio with stories to tell that will
        engage the Scout groups.

        73 de NX8J
      • ki4ltx
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 26, 2007
          Brad,

          We operated from Woodruff during the week of June 24-30 (we were in
          Campsite 10, just up from the dining hall). While we made just over 200
          contacts on or about the SCCP frequencies, we made no scout camp
          contacts. I counted about 15 contacts with scouts/scouters who were
          operating from their home QTH, but no scout camp contacts. So our
          experience was not so different from yours. Most of our contacts were
          up and down the East Coast, and into the Midwest. A few contacts on 20
          were into G and OZ land. The majority of contacts were on 40m, with a
          good number on 20m as well. We also made 22 contacts on 80m. We were
          running an FT-857D on an AGM battery, with a 100+' doublet strung
          between two trees at about 40'.

          We will try again next year!

          73,

          John