Re: [ScoutRadio] Not much luck...

  • Fred Stevens K2FRD
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 24, 2007
      I've been listening to the SCCP freqs and tuning around the bands from time to time. Propagation has been spotty at best down to non-existent much of the time. On occasion, a DX window opens into Europe or South America, but for me from here in AZ, if there's a stateside opening, it's usually to the southern midwest or to CA and seldom at the SCCP times.

      Think Cycle 24.

      73 and YIS de Fred K2FRD

      At 2:32 AM +0000 24/7/07, atlantaguy1232000 wrote:
      >Hi everyone,
      >
      >We took our radio to Woodruff Scout Reservation in Georgia last week
      >and had a great time. Lots of contacts, and lots of interest from the
      >boys. But we had zero luck talking with any other camps or any other
      >scouts.
      >
      >I thought when we got home that I would see if anyone else was on this
      >week, but again, no luck so far. So I wonder if hardly any camps
      >actually get on the air, or whether I have misinterpreted the SCCP.
      >Could someone please give me the real scoop?
      >
      >73,
      >Brad - WB5EGI
    • atlantaguy1232000
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 24, 2007
        Hi Fred,

        Thanks for the thoughts. Actually, the past two weeks, it has been
        very active on the bands. When we were at Woodruff, we worked
        Africa, Germany, England, not to mention several US states. My son
        worked Texas and Kansas on 10 meters three weeks ago. So the
        propogation is there (at least it has been good over the last several
        months).

        Anyway, it seems to be a worthwile effort to keep monitoring per
        SCCP, especially for the next couple of weeks, since there are so
        many boys going to camp.

        73 & YiS,
        Brad, WB5EGI

        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd@...>
        wrote:

        > I've been listening to the SCCP freqs and tuning around the bands
        from time to time. Propagation has been spotty at best down to non-
        existent much of the time. On occasion, a DX window opens into Europe
        or South America, but for me from here in AZ, if there's a stateside
        opening, it's usually to the southern midwest or to CA and seldom at
        the SCCP times.

        > Think Cycle 24.
        >
        > 73 and YIS de Fred K2FRD
        >
        > At 2:32 AM +0000 24/7/07, atlantaguy1232000 wrote:
        > >Hi everyone,
        > >
        > >We took our radio to Woodruff Scout Reservation in Georgia last
        week
        > >and had a great time. Lots of contacts, and lots of interest from
        the
        > >boys. But we had zero luck talking with any other camps or any
        other
        > >scouts.
        > >
        > >I thought when we got home that I would see if anyone else was on
        this
        > >week, but again, no luck so far. So I wonder if hardly any camps
        > >actually get on the air, or whether I have misinterpreted the
        SCCP.
        > >Could someone please give me the real scoop?
        > >
        > >73,
        > >Brad - WB5EGI

      • Dale Lamm
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 24, 2007
          Brad,

          I have been at a BSA camp every Thursday for the past five weeks. There are
          two more weeks to go this camp season. Am QRV from 12:20 PM local till about
          6:30 local. During the six hours, there are perhaps 30 minutes total with
          the mike button pushed down. Most of my time is spent explaining ham radio,
          telling how to get into the hobby, talking about Venturing Crew 73,
          explaining the public service aspects of ham radio, listening to visitor's
          stories, answering questions, etc.

          It takes about 20 minutes to bring a Scout from zero understanding of ham
          radio to making a contact, if all goes well. The odds are against us making
          contact with other BSA camps, although we have on occasion. We are
          especially happy to make contact with anybody who has ever had anything to
          do with scouting. Sometimes we get lucky, like the time we spoke with an
          adult who had some Philmont stories to recount. Earlier this year, we lucked
          onto a 16 year old scout from NJ with a license who was trying for WAS. We
          gave him Ohio. No big deal, but it sure made the boys happy. I put them all
          on the air with the NJ Scout.

          Camp antennas are not the best. Slopers and inverted V's are the general
          rule, with just 100 watts. We don't have a 70 foot tower with a tribander
          (yet!). Lots of what we do during the day is pure NVIS. Around suppertime,
          when most scouts drift away, the good sigs from Europe start to come in.
          That's when I kick back and take great pleasure working from a site with
          very little power line QRM.

          Am glad you had a good time with your camp radio experience. There are
          plenty of interesting people in ham radio with stories to tell that will
          engage the Scout groups.

          73 de NX8J
        • ki4ltx
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 26, 2007
            Brad,

            We operated from Woodruff during the week of June 24-30 (we were in
            Campsite 10, just up from the dining hall). While we made just over 200
            contacts on or about the SCCP frequencies, we made no scout camp
            contacts. I counted about 15 contacts with scouts/scouters who were
            operating from their home QTH, but no scout camp contacts. So our
            experience was not so different from yours. Most of our contacts were
            up and down the East Coast, and into the Midwest. A few contacts on 20
            were into G and OZ land. The majority of contacts were on 40m, with a
            good number on 20m as well. We also made 22 contacts on 80m. We were
            running an FT-857D on an AGM battery, with a 100+' doublet strung
            between two trees at about 40'.

            We will try again next year!

            73,

            John