Not much luck...

  • atlantaguy1232000
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 23, 2007
      Hi everyone,

      We took our radio to Woodruff Scout Reservation in Georgia last week
      and had a great time. Lots of contacts, and lots of interest from the
      boys. But we had zero luck talking with any other camps or any other
      scouts.

      I thought when we got home that I would see if anyone else was on this
      week, but again, no luck so far. So I wonder if hardly any camps
      actually get on the air, or whether I have misinterpreted the SCCP.
      Could someone please give me the real scoop?

      73,
      Brad - WB5EGI
    • Fred Stevens K2FRD
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 24, 2007
        I've been listening to the SCCP freqs and tuning around the bands from time to time. Propagation has been spotty at best down to non-existent much of the time. On occasion, a DX window opens into Europe or South America, but for me from here in AZ, if there's a stateside opening, it's usually to the southern midwest or to CA and seldom at the SCCP times.

        Think Cycle 24.

        73 and YIS de Fred K2FRD

        At 2:32 AM +0000 24/7/07, atlantaguy1232000 wrote:
        >Hi everyone,
        >
        >We took our radio to Woodruff Scout Reservation in Georgia last week
        >and had a great time. Lots of contacts, and lots of interest from the
        >boys. But we had zero luck talking with any other camps or any other
        >scouts.
        >
        >I thought when we got home that I would see if anyone else was on this
        >week, but again, no luck so far. So I wonder if hardly any camps
        >actually get on the air, or whether I have misinterpreted the SCCP.
        >Could someone please give me the real scoop?
        >
        >73,
        >Brad - WB5EGI
      • atlantaguy1232000
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 24, 2007
          Hi Fred,

          Thanks for the thoughts. Actually, the past two weeks, it has been
          very active on the bands. When we were at Woodruff, we worked
          Africa, Germany, England, not to mention several US states. My son
          worked Texas and Kansas on 10 meters three weeks ago. So the
          propogation is there (at least it has been good over the last several
          months).

          Anyway, it seems to be a worthwile effort to keep monitoring per
          SCCP, especially for the next couple of weeks, since there are so
          many boys going to camp.

          73 & YiS,
          Brad, WB5EGI

          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd@...>
          wrote:

          > I've been listening to the SCCP freqs and tuning around the bands
          from time to time. Propagation has been spotty at best down to non-
          existent much of the time. On occasion, a DX window opens into Europe
          or South America, but for me from here in AZ, if there's a stateside
          opening, it's usually to the southern midwest or to CA and seldom at
          the SCCP times.

          > Think Cycle 24.
          >
          > 73 and YIS de Fred K2FRD
          >
          > At 2:32 AM +0000 24/7/07, atlantaguy1232000 wrote:
          > >Hi everyone,
          > >
          > >We took our radio to Woodruff Scout Reservation in Georgia last
          week
          > >and had a great time. Lots of contacts, and lots of interest from
          the
          > >boys. But we had zero luck talking with any other camps or any
          other
          > >scouts.
          > >
          > >I thought when we got home that I would see if anyone else was on
          this
          > >week, but again, no luck so far. So I wonder if hardly any camps
          > >actually get on the air, or whether I have misinterpreted the
          SCCP.
          > >Could someone please give me the real scoop?
          > >
          > >73,
          > >Brad - WB5EGI

        • Dale Lamm
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 24, 2007
            Brad,

            I have been at a BSA camp every Thursday for the past five weeks. There are
            two more weeks to go this camp season. Am QRV from 12:20 PM local till about
            6:30 local. During the six hours, there are perhaps 30 minutes total with
            the mike button pushed down. Most of my time is spent explaining ham radio,
            telling how to get into the hobby, talking about Venturing Crew 73,
            explaining the public service aspects of ham radio, listening to visitor's
            stories, answering questions, etc.

            It takes about 20 minutes to bring a Scout from zero understanding of ham
            radio to making a contact, if all goes well. The odds are against us making
            contact with other BSA camps, although we have on occasion. We are
            especially happy to make contact with anybody who has ever had anything to
            do with scouting. Sometimes we get lucky, like the time we spoke with an
            adult who had some Philmont stories to recount. Earlier this year, we lucked
            onto a 16 year old scout from NJ with a license who was trying for WAS. We
            gave him Ohio. No big deal, but it sure made the boys happy. I put them all
            on the air with the NJ Scout.

            Camp antennas are not the best. Slopers and inverted V's are the general
            rule, with just 100 watts. We don't have a 70 foot tower with a tribander
            (yet!). Lots of what we do during the day is pure NVIS. Around suppertime,
            when most scouts drift away, the good sigs from Europe start to come in.
            That's when I kick back and take great pleasure working from a site with
            very little power line QRM.

            Am glad you had a good time with your camp radio experience. There are
            plenty of interesting people in ham radio with stories to tell that will
            engage the Scout groups.

            73 de NX8J
          • ki4ltx
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 26, 2007
              Brad,

              We operated from Woodruff during the week of June 24-30 (we were in
              Campsite 10, just up from the dining hall). While we made just over 200
              contacts on or about the SCCP frequencies, we made no scout camp
              contacts. I counted about 15 contacts with scouts/scouters who were
              operating from their home QTH, but no scout camp contacts. So our
              experience was not so different from yours. Most of our contacts were
              up and down the East Coast, and into the Midwest. A few contacts on 20
              were into G and OZ land. The majority of contacts were on 40m, with a
              good number on 20m as well. We also made 22 contacts on 80m. We were
              running an FT-857D on an AGM battery, with a 100+' doublet strung
              between two trees at about 40'.

              We will try again next year!

              73,

              John