Camp Operating Location Announcement (COLA) - Revised Dates

  • ka3bsa
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 22, 2007
      Scout Camp Name: Camp Olmstead, Va (Goshen Scout Reservation)
      Operating Days: Monday-Friday 7/30/07 - 8/3/07 (Dates Revised)
      Operating Times: SCCP
      Call Sign: KA3BSA

      This is a COLA announcement for Troop 1083, Rock Creek District,
      National Capital Area Council.

      We will be at Camp Olmstead in Goshen, Virginia (Rockbridge County) at
      the Goshen Scout Reservation July 29th through August 4th. Equipment
      will be an IC-706 running off of a battery with solar cell battery
      charger and a dipole antenna in the trees. Modes will be SSB and some
      CW. Hope there is some propagation.

      73
      Mike
      N3GPE
    • Stephen M. Shearer
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 23, 2007
        Scout Camp Name: Camp OCKANICKON - Pipersville, PA
        Operating Days: Monday-Friday 7/30/07 - 8/3/07
        Operating Times: SCCP but
        Call Sign: KB3NCC

        This is a COLA announcement for Troop 30, Freedom Trail District, Del-Mar-Va
        Council.

        We will be at Camp OCKANICKON, Pipersville, PA (Bucks County) from July 29th
        through August 4th. Equipment will be a K2 (10 watts) running off of a
        gel-cell battery with 10W solar cell battery charger and a dipole antenna on
        a 32' mast. Modes will be SSB, RTTY and maybe some CW.

        I will be trying to get some interest in RADIO merit badge and as trial run
        for Merit Badge Collage in 2008.

        Our troop has a number of adults and a few boys with tickets. I hope to get
        them on the club station, too.

        73, Steve WB3LGC

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 5, 2007

          A report of the week:

          Nothing happened the way I had hoped, but it was a good week for Scouting Radio.

          Upon arriving at camp, we noticed one other dual band VHF/UHF antenna on a car in the parking lot.  It turned out to be the Radio Merit Badge instructor (not listed in the camp program – he runs the badge a few nights a week).  This week he was in camp – I think with his troop.  It turned out another troop was in camp with a number of hams, too.  I ran a class after lunch for 10 scouts (one from my troop and the rest from the other troop with hams).  After dinner the camp instructor (and I helped) had 50+ scouts working on the badge “modules” and getting a change to talk on HF.  A few of the leaders did get to talk with the Jambo station at Brownsea Island from the camp club station KB3BOY.

          We all used VHF around camp and it worked great.

          I had a marginal HF long wire with a K2 , but the times I listened, the band was poor.

          It was hot at the campsite. KB3BOY was AC’d – I should have spent more time there.

          The boys taking the merit badge were great to work with and wanted to learn.  I am happy it worked so well.  It gave me the insight I needed to be able to run Radio MB at merit badge collage next winter.

          73, Steve