Re: [ScoutRadio] W3BOY Scout Camp

  • Paul PA5UL
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 16, 2007
      Jim,

      Any chance for Echolink operation? There are quite a few active radioscouters that wouldn't otherwise have an opportunity for a contact, especially DX. Some of your Scouts might be thrilled working the other side of the world. If you do not have direct access, are there any Echolink nodes/links/repeaters you could access? I'd like to setup a sched.

      Wishing you all a great camp, a firm left handshake es 73,
      Paul PA5UL
      Radio Interested Scout RIS#410
      Operator GB5EJ (European Jamboree 2005) and GB100J (World Scout Jamboree 2007)
      "Chikai" Cub Scout Master, Sionee Pack, Scouting Ashanti, Zoetermer, Holland

      James Mc Nichol schreef:

      Hi All,

      W3BOY will be operating from Camp Ware, in Southern Chester County, PA
      during the week of June 24 to June 30. We will have at least 2 HF
      station up and running most of the time. Monday has been designated at
      radio night for any scout in camp who wishes to participate.

      This is a special camp week because it is also Science Camp where the
      our of the odinary badges are being taught.

      Come join us on the air. Hope to have APRS up and running also.

      73's

      YIS

      Jim Mc Nichol, N3LBY

    • Gregg Martell
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 17, 2007
        Well if you get desperate for contacts (doubtful), I'm in Lancaster
        County and we could something on 2M simplex. You're in a bit of a RF
        hole being in the southern end of the county, but it's
        possible. Easier to talk down into MD, than it is north of that
        location. There used to be a number of regulars on 2M simplex
        located in the southern end of York county that would be easy to
        contact. I haven't listened for them in a while, so I'm not 100%
        they're still active.

        BTW, Camp Ware is a really nice camp. I've been there for
        out-of-council camping weekends with our troop and was very impressed
        with the facilities.

        Gregg
        KI3G

        At 11:12 PM 6/16/2007, you wrote:
        >Hi All,
        >
        >W3BOY will be operating from Camp Ware, in Southern Chester County, PA
        >during the week of June 24 to June 30. We will have at least 2 HF
        >station up and running most of the time. Monday has been designated at
        >radio night for any scout in camp who wishes to participate.
        >
        >This is a special camp week because it is also Science Camp where the
        >our of the odinary badges are being taught.
        >
        >Come join us on the air. Hope to have APRS up and running also.
        >
        >73's
        >
        >YIS
        >
        >Jim Mc Nichol, N3LBY
        >

        >Check out the UK Radio-Scouting page here at Yahoo!Groups.
        >
        >Now that you've got new licensees in your unit, why not have them
        >subscibe to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadioYouth
        >
        >Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
        >http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • James Mc Nichol
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 20, 2007
          Paul,

          I don't know if we will have direct internet access at camp to make use
          if echolink.

          I will look into it.

          Regards,

          Jim
        • Chikai (Paul Joosten)
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 21, 2007
            Jim,

            Hope that works out. Alternatively you could connect through any Echolink repeaters in the area. If you do get direct access, put the word "Scout" into your location description, it will certainly draw other scout contacts from around the world. An entry in the activity section on the  forum on scouting100award.org wouldn't hurt either.

            A firm left handshake and 73,

            Paul PA5UL