Re: [ScoutRadio] Could we use group calendar to post operating activities?

  • Fred Stevens K2FRD
    Message 1 of 21 , May 21, 2007
      Guys, all this is good information, good ideas, and good thinking. But it still requires someone to set aside a part of their time to assume responsibility to monitor such a calendar function. Whether such a calendar is on the ScoutRadio Group site or a separate Scouting (including non-Scouting youth) website, we still would need someone to assume the task of overall responsibility for the calendar. I do not yet see anyone stepping forward and stating, "Yes, I will do it.". There are only a few of us ham-Scouting activists and we are already heavily overburdened with tasks, missions, and details. I am having a hard enough time finding a replacement for me as editor of the EAGLE while I go through cancer treatment.

      One suggestion to the two ScoutRadio owner/moderators: add a couple more moderators with specific functions including (or especially) the calendar. "Many hands make light work." -WWW.

      73 and YIS de Fred K2FRD
      http://ocarg.org

    • Bill Stewart - W2BSA
      Message 2 of 21 , May 21, 2007
        Now that I think about it, doesn't the ARRL website have something like what we are looking for???

        YiS,
        Bill, W2BSA

      • Fred Stevens K2FRD
        Message 3 of 21 , May 21, 2007
          At 1:50 PM -0400 21/5/07, Bill Stewart - W2BSA wrote:
          >Now that I think about it, doesn't the ARRL website have something like what we are looking for???
          >
          >YiS,
          >Bill, W2BSA

          Yes, but... as far as I could tell from a quick look at the League's website, they're all listed as hamventions, VE sessions, and Special Events. I may have missed a calendar page for regular events in addition to those listed above. E.g., Special Events http://www.arrl.org/contests/spev.html , most of which have nothing to do with Scouting, SCCP, or weekend campouts where ham radio might be involved. Special Events are a category unto themselves with requirements including a club station as a sponsor and three to four months' advance notice. Here's the ARRL's Scouting page which doesn't include a calendar/schedule except for JOTA: http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/#scout . OCARG and other Scouting groups which also have club callsigns have used QST/ARRL Special Events calendar many times in the past but it requires months of advance planning before submission.

          I would happily include a page on http://ocarg.org which would list SCCP and other ham-Scouting scouting activities such as campouts, day activities, Scout-o-ramas, Mall shows, unit meetings, demonstrations, and everything else where ham radio is included and Scouting contacts are sought. Submissions could be automatically added (we have access to such html) and they could appear only a few days before the event. However, it still would require someone to monitor it daily or several times daily. Given my medical situation, I no longer have the time although I would gladly do it and still might be able to do it presuming I get through what I am going through presuming I survive the next year. I'd set it up right now except I have neither the time nor energy to tackle yet another project. If something comes up which would make such a calendar feasible, I'll publish it riight away.

          K2BSA ARA (KARA) might be the logical choice for such a calendar, but KARA is not yet reorganized to the level where it has the personnel to manage a calendar as far as I know. For all the above reasons, I recommend waiting a few months to a year before we come up with something we can't support due to lack of supporting personnel. Like most things in Scouting as we all know, good ideas don't happen overnight.

          Editor-Publisher
          OCARG EAGLE newsletter for international ham-Scouting news.
          "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
          No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.
          http://ocarg.org Subscribe: mailto:subscribe@...
        • Bill Stewart - W2BSA
          Message 4 of 21 , May 21, 2007
            Fred, You need to take care of yourself, so we should not push you to do this.
            But, I think that there was a youth sked calendar on the League website.

            YiS,

            Bill, W2BSA

            Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:

            At 1:50 PM -0400 21/5/07, Bill Stewart - W2BSA wrote:
            >Now that I think about it, doesn't the ARRL website have something like what we are looking for???
            >
            >YiS,
            >Bill, W2BSA

            Yes, but... as far as I could tell from a quick look at the League's website, they're all listed as hamventions, VE sessions, and Special Events. I may have missed a calendar page for regular events in addition to those listed above. E.g., Special Events http://www.arrl. org/contests/ spev.html , most of which have nothing to do with Scouting, SCCP, or weekend campouts where ham radio might be involved. Special Events are a category unto themselves with requirements including a club station as a sponsor and three to four months' advance notice. Here's the ARRL's Scouting page which doesn't include a calendar/schedule except for JOTA: http://www.arrl. org/FandES/ ead/#scout . OCARG and other Scouting groups which also have club callsigns have used QST/ARRL Special Events calendar many times in the past but it requires months of advance planning before submission.

            I would happily include a page on http://ocarg. org which would list SCCP and other ham-Scouting scouting activities such as campouts, day activities, Scout-o-ramas, Mall shows, unit meetings, demonstrations, and everything else where ham radio is included and Scouting contacts are sought. Submissions could be automatically added (we have access to such html) and they could appear only a few days before the event. However, it still would require someone to monitor it daily or several times daily. Given my medical situation, I no longer have the time although I would gladly do it and still might be able to do it presuming I get through what I am going through presuming I survive the next year. I'd set it up right now except I have neither the time nor energy to tackle yet another project. If something comes up which would make such a calendar feasible, I'll publish it riight away.

            K2BSA ARA (KARA) might be the logical choice for such a calendar, but KARA is not yet reorganized to the level where it has the personnel to manage a calendar as far as I know. For all the above reasons, I recommend waiting a few months to a year before we come up with something we can't support due to lack of supporting personnel. Like most things in Scouting as we all know, good ideas don't happen overnight.

            Editor-Publisher
            OCARG EAGLE newsletter for international ham-Scouting news.
            "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
            No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.
            http://ocarg. org Subscribe: mailto:subscribe@ocarg. org

          • Bill Stewart - W2BSA
            Message 5 of 21 , May 21, 2007
              Found the ARRL youth skeds calendar!!! Here is the URL http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/youthskeds/
              This may be the thing we are looking for. Check it out!!!

              YiS,

              Bill, W2BSA

              Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:

              At 1:50 PM -0400 21/5/07, Bill Stewart - W2BSA wrote:
              >Now that I think about it, doesn't the ARRL website have something like what we are looking for???
              >
              >YiS,
              >Bill, W2BSA

              Yes, but... as far as I could tell from a quick look at the League's website, they're all listed as hamventions, VE sessions, and Special Events. I may have missed a calendar page for regular events in addition to those listed above. E.g., Special Events http://www.arrl. org/contests/ spev.html , most of which have nothing to do with Scouting, SCCP, or weekend campouts where ham radio might be involved. Special Events are a category unto themselves with requirements including a club station as a sponsor and three to four months' advance notice. Here's the ARRL's Scouting page which doesn't include a calendar/schedule except for JOTA: http://www.arrl. org/FandES/ ead/#scout . OCARG and other Scouting groups which also have club callsigns have used QST/ARRL Special Events calendar many times in the past but it requires months of advance planning before submission.

              I would happily include a page on http://ocarg. org which would list SCCP and other ham-Scouting scouting activities such as campouts, day activities, Scout-o-ramas, Mall shows, unit meetings, demonstrations, and everything else where ham radio is included and Scouting contacts are sought. Submissions could be automatically added (we have access to such html) and they could appear only a few days before the event. However, it still would require someone to monitor it daily or several times daily. Given my medical situation, I no longer have the time although I would gladly do it and still might be able to do it presuming I get through what I am going through presuming I survive the next year. I'd set it up right now except I have neither the time nor energy to tackle yet another project. If something comes up which would make such a calendar feasible, I'll publish it riight away.

              K2BSA ARA (KARA) might be the logical choice for such a calendar, but KARA is not yet reorganized to the level where it has the personnel to manage a calendar as far as I know. For all the above reasons, I recommend waiting a few months to a year before we come up with something we can't support due to lack of supporting personnel. Like most things in Scouting as we all know, good ideas don't happen overnight.

              Editor-Publisher
              OCARG EAGLE newsletter for international ham-Scouting news.
              "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
              No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.
              http://ocarg. org Subscribe: mailto:subscribe@ocarg. org

            • Allan R. Batteiger
              Message 6 of 21 , May 21, 2007
                Gentlemen
                If no other solution is found, I own my own sever located in
                Downtown Dallas,TX, that is connected to the internet via 100MB FDX
                fiber. Bandwidth is not a problem, and neither is storage ( currently
                I have about 60GB of free space on the primary drive and 80gb on the
                secondary. I already host my sons troop www site (www.troop2819.org)
                and I have webcal already in use for troop functions.
                It would be very easy to setup another calendar and several admin users
                of that calendar to track Scouting / Amateur Radio activities of general
                interest. Webcal is currently setup to store the calendar info in a
                flat text file format. Unless someone want to pay for the cost of a
                seperate domain I can easily setup a www page / Calendar under
                www.rtsi.com/~scoutradio . And then setup an couple of people to admin
                the calendar. If you have a different web cal solution I can take a
                look at it, and if it I can easily install it, I can make it available.
                BTW the server is Linux, Fedora core, 3ghz CPU, 512k memory.

                Allan R. Batteiger - WB5QNG

                Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:
                > Guys, all this is good information, good ideas, and good thinking. But it still requires someone to set aside a part of their time to assume responsibility to monitor such a calendar function. Whether such a calendar is on the ScoutRadio Group site or a separate Scouting (including non-Scouting youth) website, we still would need someone to assume the task of overall responsibility for the calendar. I do not yet see anyone stepping forward and stating, "Yes, I will do it.". There are only a few of us ham-Scouting activists and we are already heavily overburdened with tasks, missions, and details. I am having a hard enough time finding a replacement for me as editor of the EAGLE while I go through cancer treatment.
                >
                > One suggestion to the two ScoutRadio owner/moderators: add a couple more moderators with specific functions including (or especially) the calendar. "Many hands make light work." -WWW.
                >
                > 73 and YIS de Fred K2FRD
                > http://ocarg.org
                >
                > At 9:27 AM -0400 21/5/07, Bill Stewart - W2BSA wrote:
                >
                >> Good point. We just don't need the numerous unnecessary reminders. I would love to be able to just have a URL
                >> that I can look at and add or delete my entries for everyone to see.
                >>
                >> YiS,
                >>
                >> Bill, W2BSA
                >>
                >> Robert Bruninga wrote:
                >>

                >>> Needs a web page calendar.
                >>>
                >>> Occasional postings are great, but they often pass un-noticed,
                >>> or ignored, but then later one realizes he has a free weekend
                >>> and then wants to look up what is scheduled. Thus a maintained
                >>> calendar is a must for these kinds of things... IMHO
                >>> Bob, WB4APR

              • Allan R. Batteiger
                Message 7 of 21 , May 21, 2007
                  Bill
                  I would be nice if they would allow more info on the activity.
                  Currently the only allow a POC and expire date.
                  I wonder if they could be persuaded to allow camp info, bands etc.
                  Allan - WB5QNG

                • Bill Stewart - W2BSA
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 21, 2007
                    Could be possible. I know some of the League folks who are Scouters hang out here.

                    YiS,
                    Bill, W2BSA

                    Bill Stewart - W2BSA wrote:
> [...]
                    >>> tackle yet another project. If something comes up which would make
                    >>> such a calendar feasible, I'll publish it riight away.
                    >>>
                    >>> K2BSA ARA (KARA) might be the logical choice for such a calendar,
                    >>> but KARA is not yet reorganized to the level where it has the
                    >>> personnel to manage a calendar as far as I know. For all the above
                    >>> reasons, I recommend waiting a few months to a year before we come
                    >>> up with something we can't support due to lack of supporting
                    >>> personnel. Like most things in Scouting as we all know, good ideas
                    >>> don't happen overnight.
                    >>>
                    >>> --
                    >>> 73 and Yours In Scouting de Fred Stevens K2FRD, VO2FS
                    >>> Editor-Publisher
                    >>> OCARG EAGLE newsletter for international ham-Scouting news.
                    >>> "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
                    >>> No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.

                  • Frank Krizan
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 21, 2007

                      I personally like the idea of an online form that registered users can fill out.  The form software can create a “form letter” to be sent to ScoutRadio@Y... , plus post automatically on a sortable list (kind of a table format calendar).  This reduces the workload on the administrator and puts the load on the originator.  We may also add a unique pass code for each entry so the originator can update their entry as required.

                      I like simple and automatic.

                      Where would this be?  Our goal is on the new K2BSA Amateur Radio Association web site.

                      Stay tuned.

                      73, Frank KR1ZAN

                      href="mailto:ScoutRadio%40yahoogroups.com">ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com
                      href="mailto:ScoutRadio%40yahoogroups.com">ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com] On Behalf Of Bill Stewart
                      >>> Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2007 4:29 PM
                      >>> To: <mailto:ScoutRadio% 40yahoogroups. com>
                      href="mailto:ScoutRadio%40yahoogroups.com">ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com
                      >>> Subject: Re: [ScoutRadio] Could we use group calendar to post
                      >>> operating activities?
                      >>>
                      >>> I think each of us putting our information out for all to
                      >>> read is good enough and serves the purpose.
                      >>> We don't really need to calendar this stuff.
                      >>>
                      >>> YiS Bill, W2BSA
                      >>>
                      >>> Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:
                      >>>
                      >>> Good thought, but we who operate Yahoo Groups have had
                      >>> problems with the Yahoo Calendar in the past. Seems that
                      >>> every time a calendar item pops up, it sends an email to
                      >>> everyone in the group (there's several mod settings for
                      >>> calendar items) thus adding extraneous messages. There is
                      >>> also the moderator option to turn it off which seems to
                      >>> satisfy everyone, at least on the Groups which I
                      >>> own/moderate. I belong (not as a moderator) to one group with
                      >>> only 41 members which generates 5 to 15 calendar messages per
                      >>> month, sometimes 5-10 more during a week with a special
                      >>> activity. Think what it would do for the much more active
                      >>> ScoutRadio Group with 487 members (and growing) if there were
                      >>> dozens of automated operating announcements per week. I think
                      >>> the present system of a single announcement on the group is
                      >>> more satisfactory, leaving it up to the individual recipient
                      >>> the option to put such announcements in a special email
                      >>> file/mailbox of his/her own creation, deleting those to which
                      >>> s/he would not likely make contact.
                      >>>
                      >> > 73 and YIS de Fred K2FRD

                    • Robert
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 21, 2007
                        Is something like this what you want?
                        http://www.digitalmidget.com/php_noob/calendar.php

                        Robert
                        KI6DFB

                        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Krizan" <frank.krizan@...>
                        wrote:

                        > I personally like the idea of an online form that registered users
                        can fill
                        > out. The form software can create a "form letter" to be sent to
                        > ScoutRadio@Y... , plus post automatically on a sortable list (kind
                        of a
                        > table format calendar). This reduces the workload on the
                        administrator and
                        > puts the load on the originator. We may also add a unique pass
                        code for
                        > each entry so the originator can update their entry as required.
                        >

                        > I like simple and automatic.
                        >

                        > Where would this be? Our goal is on the new K2BSA Amateur Radio
                        Association
                        > web site.
                        >

                        > Stay tuned.
                        >

                        > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
                        >

                        > _____

                      • Fred Stevens K2FRD
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 21, 2007
                          Frank, as I mentioned earlier, the K2BSA ARA (KARA) site would be my personal choice for a calendar of ham-Scouting events if for no other reason than KARA, as the predominant ham-Scouting website will be not just a US but also international site dedicated to ham-Scouting without non-Scouting/youth calendar events mixed in. Simple, automatic, and reduction of administrator time works best for me.

                          I also realize that KARA, like all Scouting and youth organizations is run by volunteers with outside lives (families, jobs, car repairs, medical visits, and other commitments), not by paid professionals. It's not gonna happen overnight. So, I implore others to be patient and wait for the local organizational and online activists to get the chance to get the job done.

                          73 and YIS de Fred K2FRD