Re: [ScoutRadio] Digest Number 954

  • Jim Baker
    Message 1 of 1 , May 18, 2007
      COLA
      Troop 899 Myrtle Beach SC operating from
      BSA Camp Coker near Society Hill, SC
      June 24-30, 2007
      KQ4BH Jim Baker

      ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      There are 8 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1a. Summer camp operating
      From: Jeff
      1b. Re: Summer camp operating
      From: N8VCL
      1c. Re: Summer camp operating
      From: Dale Lamm

      2a. Camp Operating Location Announcements (COLA)
      From: kd5fdw
      2b. Re: Camp Operating Location Announcements (COLA)
      From: Bill Stewart - W2BSA
      2c. Re: Camp Operating Location Announcements (COLA)
      From: N8VCL
      2d. Re: Camp Operating Location Announcements (COLA)
      From: Fred Stevens K2FRD

      3. COLA: Field Day
      From: N8VCL

      Messages

      1a. Summer camp operating
      Posted by: "Jeff" jmonty@... wb4wxd
      Date: Wed May 16, 2007 7:55 am ((PDT))

      I hope to be operating from Camp Tres Ritos in
      New Mexico from July 1-7

      Jeff Montgomery
      WB4WXD
      Palestine, Texas
      Messages in this topic (8)

      1b. Re: Summer camp operating
      Posted by: "N8VCL" scott.n8vcl@... n8vcl
      Date: Wed May 16, 2007 10:30 am ((PDT))

      On 5/16/07, Jeff wrote:

      > I hope to be operating from Camp Tres Ritos in
      > New Mexico from July 1-7
      >
      > Jeff Montgomery
      > WB4WXD
      > Palestine, Texas

      We'll have to try to hook up. I will be at Beaumont in NE Ohio the
      same week and I'm planning on bringing the rig out.

      Scott - N8VCL

      Messages in this topic (8)

      1c. Re: Summer camp operating
      Posted by: "Dale Lamm" DaleLamm@... DaleLamm
      Date: Wed May 16, 2007 8:34 pm ((PDT))

      Hi Scott,

      Was at Beaumont in January. The cabin closest to the bridge over the Grand
      River (#1?) was blessed with a big screw eye in the roof trim just outside
      the back door. Made the low end of a sloping dipole easy to attach. High end
      was hoisted into a tree using a tossed rope & weight. Made several Q's with
      a 100 watt rig. Always enjoy talking ham radio with Scouts.

      Dale - NX8J

      > We'll have to try to hook up. I will be at Beaumont in
      > NE Ohio the same week and I'm planning on bringing
      > the rig out.

      > Scott - N8VCL

      Messages in this topic (8)

      2a. Camp Operating Location Announcements (COLA)
      Posted by: "kd5fdw" dave13@... kd5fdw
      Date: Wed May 16, 2007 8:14 am ((PDT))

      Fellow Scouters:

      I have a recommendation about making camp operating locations
      announcements (COLA...we always need new acronyms, right?).

      In addition to the name of the camp, please give more information
      about the location. An idea for reporting is below.

      Camp Operating Location Announcement (COLA)
      Scout Camp Name:
      Location: (US example) Major nearby City (optional) Beltrami County
      (optional), Northern Minnesota, USA
      Operating Days:
      Operating Times (if non-SCCP): Local or Zulu

      I am sure the non-US represnetatives could have other suggestions for
      giving general locations in their locations: e.g. Christchurch,
      Southern New Zealand; Great Malvern, Worcestershire, England; Porto,
      Portugal; ...

      I don't know if this information would be of use to more experineced
      operators, but it allows me to figure out best calling times and
      directions without having to qrz the operator and guess where the
      camp might be.

      Comments, criticisms, and outright insults to this idea are accepted!

      Dave
      nd4su/1 (in Boston)

      Messages in this topic (4)

      2b. Re: Camp Operating Location Announcements (COLA)
      Posted by: "Bill Stewart - W2BSA" w2bsa@... ke4bae
      Date: Wed May 16, 2007 8:51 am ((PDT))

      Outright insults, no way!!! But....

      Camp Operating Location Announcement
      Venturing Crew 80 operating as W3BSA (Crew Call)
      Camp William B. Snyder
      Washington, DC - National Capital Area Council, Prince William County, VA
      Northern Virginia, USA
      June 23 - 24, 2007 (ARRL Field Day)
      1200 local Saturday - 1200 Local Sunday

      As you can see above I used all from below and added who is operating
      and Council name.

      My announcement for my Crew, does this work for everyone???

      73,

      Bill, W2BSA

      kd5fdw wrote:

      > Fellow Scouters:
      >
      > I have a recommendation about making camp operating locations
      > announcements (COLA...we always need new acronyms, right?).
      >
      > In addition to the name of the camp, please give more information
      > about the location. An idea for reporting is below.
      >
      > Camp Operating Location Announcement (COLA)
      > Scout Camp Name:
      > Location: (US example) Major nearby City (optional) Beltrami County
      > (optional), Northern Minnesota, USA
      > Operating Days:
      > Operating Times (if non-SCCP): Local or Zulu
      >
      > I am sure the non-US represnetatives could have other suggestions for
      > giving general locations in their locations: e.g. Christchurch,
      > Southern New Zealand; Great Malvern, Worcestershire, England; Porto,
      > Portugal; ...
      >
      > I don't know if this information would be of use to more experineced
      > operators, but it allows me to figure out best calling times and
      > directions without having to qrz the operator and guess where the
      > camp might be.
      >
      > Comments, criticisms, and outright insults to this idea are accepted!
      >
      > Dave
      > nd4su/1 (in Boston)

      Messages in this topic (4)

      Date: Wed May 16, 2007 10:30 am ((PDT))

      That there (the COLA: suggestion) is a good idea.

      Scott
      --
      FP #930
      SKCC #3083

      Messages in this topic (4)

      2d. Re: Camp Operating Location Announcements (COLA)
      Posted by: "Fred Stevens K2FRD" k2frd@... k2frd
      Date: Wed May 16, 2007 10:54 am ((PDT))

      Bill and Dave, I think this is an excellent supplement to the SCCP if a unit, camp, other ham-Scouting organization, or ham-Scouter has a fixed plan to operate at a certain time from a specific location. I might add one suggestion: if a specific band and/or frequency are planned to be used (or usually used by the ops, e.g., 20m these days, 14.290+/- per the SCCP) could also be announced, it would save a little time tracking down a station. Mode may be presumed by the frequency.

      73 and YIS de Fred K2FRD

      At 11:28 AM -0400 16/5/07, Bill Stewart - W2BSA wrote:
      >Outright insults, no way!!! But....
      >
      >Camp Operating Location Announcement
      >Venturing Crew 80 operating as W3BSA (Crew Call)
      >Camp William B. Snyder
      >Washington, DC - National Capital Area Council, Prince William County, VA
      >Northern Virginia, USA
      >June 23 - 24, 2007 (ARRL Field Day)
      >1200 local Saturday - 1200 Local Sunday
      >
      >As you can see above I used all from below and added who is operating and Council name.
      >
      >My announcement for my Crew, does this work for everyone???
      >
      >73,
      >
      >Bill, W2BSA
      >
      >kd5fdw wrote:
      >
      >>Fellow Scouters:
      >>
      >>I have a recommendation about making camp operating locations
      >>announcements (COLA...we always need new acronyms, right?).
      >>
      >>In addition to the name of the camp, please give more information
      >>about the location. An idea for reporting is below.
      >>
      >>Camp Operating Location Announcement (COLA)
      >>Scout Camp Name:
      >>Location: (US example) Major nearby City (optional) Beltrami County
      >>(optional), Northern Minnesota, USA
      >>Operating Days:
      >>Operating Times (if non-SCCP): Local or Zulu
      >>
      >>I am sure the non-US represnetatives could have other suggestions for
      >>giving general locations in their locations: e.g. Christchurch,
      >>Southern New Zealand; Great Malvern, Worcestershire, England; Porto,
      >>Portugal; ...
      >>
      >>I don't know if this information would be of use to more experineced
      >>operators, but it allows me to figure out best calling times and
      >>directions without having to qrz the operator and guess where the
      >>camp might be.
      >>
      >>Comments, criticisms, and outright insults to this idea are accepted!
      >>
      >>Dave
      >>nd4su/1 (in Boston)

      Editor-Publisher
      "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
      No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.
      http://ocarg.org Subscribe: mailto:subscribe@...

      Messages in this topic (4)

      3. COLA: Field Day
      Posted by: "N8VCL" scott.n8vcl@... n8vcl
      Date: Wed May 16, 2007 10:29 am ((PDT))

      Camp Operating Location Announcement
      Boy Scout Troop 389 will be present and operating some of the time at
      W8COD, the WWII Submarine USS Cod SS-224
      Docked in Cleveland Ohio, USA
      June 23 - 24, 2007 (ARRL Field Day)
      1200 local Saturday - 1200 Local Sunday

      Also doing radio MB that day!