Re: [ScoutRadio] Camp Operating Location Announcements (COLA)

  • Fred Stevens K2FRD
    Message 1 of 7 , May 16, 2007
      Bill and Dave, I think this is an excellent supplement to the SCCP if a unit, camp, other ham-Scouting organization, or ham-Scouter has a fixed plan to operate at a certain time from a specific location. I might add one suggestion: if a specific band and/or frequency are planned to be used (or usually used by the ops, e.g., 20m these days, 14.290+/- per the SCCP) could also be announced, it would save a little time tracking down a station. Mode may be presumed by the frequency.

      73 and YIS de Fred K2FRD

      At 11:28 AM -0400 16/5/07, Bill Stewart - W2BSA wrote:
      >Outright insults, no way!!! But....
      >
      >Camp Operating Location Announcement
      >Venturing Crew 80 operating as W3BSA (Crew Call)
      >Camp William B. Snyder
      >Washington, DC - National Capital Area Council, Prince William County, VA
      >Northern Virginia, USA
      >June 23 - 24, 2007 (ARRL Field Day)
      >1200 local Saturday - 1200 Local Sunday
      >
      >As you can see above I used all from below and added who is operating and Council name.
      >
      >My announcement for my Crew, does this work for everyone???
      >
      >73,
      >
      >Bill, W2BSA
      >
      >kd5fdw wrote:
      >
      >>Fellow Scouters:
      >>
      >>I have a recommendation about making camp operating locations
      >>announcements (COLA...we always need new acronyms, right?).
      >>
      >>In addition to the name of the camp, please give more information
      >>about the location. An idea for reporting is below.
      >>
      >>Camp Operating Location Announcement (COLA)
      >>Scout Camp Name:
      >>Location: (US example) Major nearby City (optional) Beltrami County
      >>(optional), Northern Minnesota, USA
      >>Operating Days:
      >>Operating Times (if non-SCCP): Local or Zulu
      >>
      >>I am sure the non-US represnetatives could have other suggestions for
      >>giving general locations in their locations: e.g. Christchurch,
      >>Southern New Zealand; Great Malvern, Worcestershire, England; Porto,
      >>Portugal; ...
      >>
      >>I don't know if this information would be of use to more experineced
      >>operators, but it allows me to figure out best calling times and
      >>directions without having to qrz the operator and guess where the
      >>camp might be.
      >>
      >>Comments, criticisms, and outright insults to this idea are accepted!
      >>
      >>Dave
      >>nd4su/1 (in Boston)

      Editor-Publisher
      "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
      No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.
      http://ocarg.org Subscribe: mailto:subscribe@...
    • mirkwood3522
      Message 2 of 7 , May 18, 2007
        Camp Operating Location Announcement (COLA)
        Scout Camp Name:BSA Camp Coker
        Location: Society Hill, SC
        Operating Days:June 24-30
        Operating Times SCCP as schedule permits
        Troop 899 Myrtle Beach de Jim Baker KQ4BH

        ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "kd5fdw" <dave13@...> wrote:

        > Fellow Scouters:
        >
        > I have a recommendation about making camp operating locations
        > announcements (COLA...we always need new acronyms, right?).
        >
        > In addition to the name of the camp, please give more information
        > about the location. An idea for reporting is below.
        >
        > Camp Operating Location Announcement (COLA)
        > Scout Camp Name:
        > Location: (US example) Major nearby City (optional) Beltrami
        County
        > (optional), Northern Minnesota, USA
        > Operating Days:
        > Operating Times (if non-SCCP): Local or Zulu
        >
        > I am sure the non-US represnetatives could have other suggestions
        for
        > giving general locations in their locations: e.g. Christchurch,
        > Southern New Zealand; Great Malvern, Worcestershire, England;
        Porto,
        > Portugal; ...
        >
        > I don't know if this information would be of use to more
        experineced
        > operators, but it allows me to figure out best calling times and
        > directions without having to qrz the operator and guess where the
        > camp might be.
        >
        > Comments, criticisms, and outright insults to this idea are
        accepted!

        > Dave
        > nd4su/1 (in Boston)

      • ki4ltx
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 20, 2007
          Camp Operating Location Announcement (COLA)
          Scout Camp Name:BSA Woodruff Scout Reservation
          Location: Blairsville, Ga.
          Operating Days:June 24-30
          Operating Times SCCP as schedule permits
          Troop 101, Fort Myers, Fl. de John Hendricks KI4LTX

          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "mirkwood3522" <mirkwood3522@...>
          wrote:

          > Camp Operating Location Announcement (COLA)
          > Scout Camp Name:BSA Camp Coker
          > Location: Society Hill, SC
          > Operating Days:June 24-30
          > Operating Times SCCP as schedule permits
          > Troop 899 Myrtle Beach de Jim Baker KQ4BH
          >
          > ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "kd5fdw" <dave13@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Fellow Scouters:
          > >
          > > I have a recommendation about making camp operating locations
          > > announcements (COLA...we always need new acronyms, right?).
          > >
          > > In addition to the name of the camp, please give more information
          > > about the location. An idea for reporting is below.
          > >
          > > Camp Operating Location Announcement (COLA)
          > > Scout Camp Name:
          > > Location: (US example) Major nearby City (optional) Beltrami
          > County
          > > (optional), Northern Minnesota, USA
          > > Operating Days:
          > > Operating Times (if non-SCCP): Local or Zulu
          > >
          > > I am sure the non-US represnetatives could have other suggestions
          > for
          > > giving general locations in their locations: e.g. Christchurch,
          > > Southern New Zealand; Great Malvern, Worcestershire, England;
          > Porto,
          > > Portugal; ...
          > >
          > > I don't know if this information would be of use to more
          > experineced
          > > operators, but it allows me to figure out best calling times and
          > > directions without having to qrz the operator and guess where the
          > > camp might be.
          > >
          > > Comments, criticisms, and outright insults to this idea are
          > accepted!
          > >
          > > Dave
          > > nd4su/1 (in Boston)

        • jcmalino
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 8, 2007
            Camp Operating Location Announcements (COLA)

            Scout Camp Name: Mount Norris Scout Reservation, Green Mountain Council
            (the only Boy Scout camp in Vermont)
            Location: Eden Mills, Vermont (Northern)
            Operating Days: July 11th thru August 11th (typically Wed/Thurs)
            Operating Times: Evening (local)

            This is first year Norris is offering Radio merit badge. We have HF
            (IC730) and 2M (ft-2400) at camp. Camp will run until 2nd week of
            August with different instructors / operators each week.