Camp Operating Location Announcements (COLA)

  • kd5fdw
    Message 1 of 7 , May 16, 2007
      Fellow Scouters:

      I have a recommendation about making camp operating locations
      announcements (COLA...we always need new acronyms, right?).

      In addition to the name of the camp, please give more information
      about the location. An idea for reporting is below.

      Camp Operating Location Announcement (COLA)
      Scout Camp Name:
      Location: (US example) Major nearby City (optional) Beltrami County
      (optional), Northern Minnesota, USA
      Operating Days:
      Operating Times (if non-SCCP): Local or Zulu

      I am sure the non-US represnetatives could have other suggestions for
      giving general locations in their locations: e.g. Christchurch,
      Southern New Zealand; Great Malvern, Worcestershire, England; Porto,
      Portugal; ...

      I don't know if this information would be of use to more experineced
      operators, but it allows me to figure out best calling times and
      directions without having to qrz the operator and guess where the
      camp might be.

      Comments, criticisms, and outright insults to this idea are accepted!

      Dave
      nd4su/1 (in Boston)
    • Bill Stewart - W2BSA
      Message 2 of 7 , May 16, 2007
        Outright insults, no way!!! But....

        Camp Operating Location Announcement
        Venturing Crew 80 operating as W3BSA (Crew Call)
        Camp William B. Snyder
        Washington, DC - National Capital Area Council, Prince William County, VA
        Northern Virginia, USA
        June 23 - 24, 2007 (ARRL Field Day)
        1200 local Saturday - 1200 Local Sunday

        As you can see above I used all from below and added who is operating and Council name.

        My announcement for my Crew, does this work for everyone???

        73,

        Bill, W2BSA

        kd5fdw wrote:

[...]

      • N8VCL
        Message 3 of 7 , May 16, 2007
          That there (the COLA: suggestion) is a good idea.

          Scott
          --
          FP #930
          SKCC #3083
          Message 4 of 7 , May 16, 2007
            Bill and Dave, I think this is an excellent supplement to the SCCP if a unit, camp, other ham-Scouting organization, or ham-Scouter has a fixed plan to operate at a certain time from a specific location. I might add one suggestion: if a specific band and/or frequency are planned to be used (or usually used by the ops, e.g., 20m these days, 14.290+/- per the SCCP) could also be announced, it would save a little time tracking down a station. Mode may be presumed by the frequency.

            73 and YIS de Fred K2FRD

            At 11:28 AM -0400 16/5/07, Bill Stewart - W2BSA wrote:
            >Outright insults, no way!!! But....
            >
            >Camp Operating Location Announcement
            >Venturing Crew 80 operating as W3BSA (Crew Call)
            >Camp William B. Snyder
            >Washington, DC - National Capital Area Council, Prince William County, VA
            >Northern Virginia, USA
            >June 23 - 24, 2007 (ARRL Field Day)
            >1200 local Saturday - 1200 Local Sunday
            >
            >As you can see above I used all from below and added who is operating and Council name.
            >
            >My announcement for my Crew, does this work for everyone???
            >
            >73,
            >
            >Bill, W2BSA
            >
            >kd5fdw wrote:
            >
            >>Fellow Scouters:
            >>
            >>I have a recommendation about making camp operating locations
            >>announcements (COLA...we always need new acronyms, right?).
            >>
            >>In addition to the name of the camp, please give more information
            >>about the location. An idea for reporting is below.
            >>
            >>Camp Operating Location Announcement (COLA)
            >>Scout Camp Name:
            >>Location: (US example) Major nearby City (optional) Beltrami County
            >>(optional), Northern Minnesota, USA
            >>Operating Days:
            >>Operating Times (if non-SCCP): Local or Zulu
            >>
            >>I am sure the non-US represnetatives could have other suggestions for
            >>giving general locations in their locations: e.g. Christchurch,
            >>Southern New Zealand; Great Malvern, Worcestershire, England; Porto,
            >>Portugal; ...
            >>
            >>I don't know if this information would be of use to more experineced
            >>operators, but it allows me to figure out best calling times and
            >>directions without having to qrz the operator and guess where the
            >>camp might be.
            >>
            >>Comments, criticisms, and outright insults to this idea are accepted!
            >>
            >>Dave
            >>nd4su/1 (in Boston)

            Editor-Publisher
            "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
            No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.
            http://ocarg.org Subscribe: mailto:subscribe@...
          • mirkwood3522
            Message 5 of 7 , May 18, 2007
              Camp Operating Location Announcement (COLA)
              Scout Camp Name:BSA Camp Coker
              Location: Society Hill, SC
              Operating Days:June 24-30
              Operating Times SCCP as schedule permits
              Troop 899 Myrtle Beach de Jim Baker KQ4BH

              ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "kd5fdw" <dave13@...> wrote:

              > Fellow Scouters:
              >
              > I have a recommendation about making camp operating locations
              > announcements (COLA...we always need new acronyms, right?).
              >
              > In addition to the name of the camp, please give more information
              > about the location. An idea for reporting is below.
              >
              > Camp Operating Location Announcement (COLA)
              > Scout Camp Name:
              > Location: (US example) Major nearby City (optional) Beltrami
              County
              > (optional), Northern Minnesota, USA
              > Operating Days:
              > Operating Times (if non-SCCP): Local or Zulu
              >
              > I am sure the non-US represnetatives could have other suggestions
              for
              > giving general locations in their locations: e.g. Christchurch,
              > Southern New Zealand; Great Malvern, Worcestershire, England;
              Porto,
              > Portugal; ...
              >
              > I don't know if this information would be of use to more
              experineced
              > operators, but it allows me to figure out best calling times and
              > directions without having to qrz the operator and guess where the
              > camp might be.
              >
              > Comments, criticisms, and outright insults to this idea are
              accepted!

              > Dave
              > nd4su/1 (in Boston)

            • ki4ltx
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 20, 2007
                Camp Operating Location Announcement (COLA)
                Scout Camp Name:BSA Woodruff Scout Reservation
                Location: Blairsville, Ga.
                Operating Days:June 24-30
                Operating Times SCCP as schedule permits
                Troop 101, Fort Myers, Fl. de John Hendricks KI4LTX

                --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "mirkwood3522" <mirkwood3522@...>
                wrote:

                > Camp Operating Location Announcement (COLA)
                > Scout Camp Name:BSA Camp Coker
                > Location: Society Hill, SC
                > Operating Days:June 24-30
                > Operating Times SCCP as schedule permits
                > Troop 899 Myrtle Beach de Jim Baker KQ4BH
                >
                > ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "kd5fdw" <dave13@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Fellow Scouters:
                > >
                > > I have a recommendation about making camp operating locations
                > > announcements (COLA...we always need new acronyms, right?).
                > >
                > > In addition to the name of the camp, please give more information
                > > about the location. An idea for reporting is below.
                > >
                > > Camp Operating Location Announcement (COLA)
                > > Scout Camp Name:
                > > Location: (US example) Major nearby City (optional) Beltrami
                > County
                > > (optional), Northern Minnesota, USA
                > > Operating Days:
                > > Operating Times (if non-SCCP): Local or Zulu
                > >
                > > I am sure the non-US represnetatives could have other suggestions
                > for
                > > giving general locations in their locations: e.g. Christchurch,
                > > Southern New Zealand; Great Malvern, Worcestershire, England;
                > Porto,
                > > Portugal; ...
                > >
                > > I don't know if this information would be of use to more
                > experineced
                > > operators, but it allows me to figure out best calling times and
                > > directions without having to qrz the operator and guess where the
                > > camp might be.
                > >
                > > Comments, criticisms, and outright insults to this idea are
                > accepted!
                > >
                > > Dave
                > > nd4su/1 (in Boston)

              • jcmalino
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 8 4:24 PM
                  Camp Operating Location Announcements (COLA)

                  Scout Camp Name: Mount Norris Scout Reservation, Green Mountain Council
                  (the only Boy Scout camp in Vermont)
                  Location: Eden Mills, Vermont (Northern)
                  Operating Days: July 11th thru August 11th (typically Wed/Thurs)
                  Operating Times: Evening (local)

                  This is first year Norris is offering Radio merit badge. We have HF
                  (IC730) and 2M (ft-2400) at camp. Camp will run until 2nd week of
                  August with different instructors / operators each week.