Introduction to Radio Scout Orienteering by LA5CH

  • David HUTCHINSON
    Message 1 of 5 , May 13, 2007
      Nic Holter LA5CH wrote a book Introduction to Scout Radio Orienteering for the Norjam75 World Scout Jamboree. He also designed the Fox75 80m ARDF receiver for that Jamboree. Within the past couple of years my club ANtrim & District Amateur Radio Society have revived interest in the Fox75 receiver and 80m ARDF and have built a number of these receivers.

      I have been asked to run the ARDF activity for the Centenary World Jamboree at Hylands Park, Chelmsford in July. I am currently arranging to have a number of Fox75 receivers built as projects for an Intermediate Licence course in June. ADARS has a full set of 6 80m "foxes" and this equipment will be used at the Jamboree.

      I have a rather dilapidated copy of Nic Holter's book and I would be keen to obtain a copy in better condition if possible. My own copy has vital pages missing from it and it is falling to pieces. If anyone can assist me with this project I would be most grateful if they would email me.

      73 de David GI4FUM

    • Sjaak van Dam
      Message 2 of 5 , May 21, 2007
        Hi David,

        Looking trough my old emails I came across your email.
        Have you found the information you were looking for?

        I don't know if Jim Parnell ZL2APE is coming to the Jamboree but he might have the info you are looking for.
        Jim provided the 80m ARDF receivers for XR3J in Chile. As far as I know these receivers are the same as the ones used for the Norjam75.
        Despite their age they worked great!

        Jim is the NJO for New Zealand and he can be reached via jim-p@....

        If all fails you could contact Radio Scouting Netherlands at info@.... They should have several 2M ARDF receivers. I don't know if they have the transmitters but if they don't let me know.
        I might be able to arrange 6 "foxes" if RSN doesn't have any.
        http://www.jancorver.org/ombouw/t813/foxbox/index.htm
        (page is in Dutch but it shows you the foxes)

        I will see you at the Jamboree!

        YIS, Sjaak W4RIS, ex-PA3GVR

        Message 3 of 5 , May 22, 2007
          Good morning Sjaak

          It was good to touch base with you yesterday via my Blackberry while I was visiting Epcot with my family. Perhaps we can meet up this week some time. I am staying in the Maitland area and will be returning to the UK next Tuesday. You can get me on my mobile on +447713633225. We had a great time at Epcot. Here is a link to some of the photographs -

          73 de David GI4FUM/W4

          Sjaak van Dam <pa3gvr@...> wrote:
[...]

        • Ãéþñãïò ÌåôáîÜò
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2007
            Hi to all,

            I visited the GB100J shack in the 21st World Scout Jamboree on Sunday.
            What I liked most was this book by Nic Holter, LA5CH. Can somebody
            help me to find a copy of this book - even a photocopy or a scanned
            version of it?

            Yours in Scouting, 73,

            George Metaxas, SV1DEQ
            District Commissioner of Nea Smirni,
            Scouts of Greece
          • David Hutchinson
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 12, 2007
              Greetings from Northern Ireland George

              I was in charge of the direction finding at GB100J. Nick sent me a
              copy of his book in the post a few weeks before the jamboree so I
              think he still has some copies available. I suggest you contact him at
              the address given on QRZ.com - his email is nic.holter@...

              73 de David GI4FUM/ EI4DJ/ 3DA0DJ