[ScoutRadio] Re: Summer camp operating

  • Fred Stevens K2FRD
    Message 1 of 8 , May 12, 2007
      At 1:02 AM +0000 12/5/07, Matt Murphy wrote:
      >Fred, I am familiar with the SCCP. Sunday is not the best time to do
      >this either. I don't have another day to work with right now. Sunday
      >hits on my days off and Mon is tied up(my other day off). If I can
      >get something during the week, I will shoot for that, but that will be
      >on a week by week basis. I am just trying to help others make some
      >contacts.
      >
      >Matt, kc8bew

      Matt, you're in the same quandary situation as the others who attend or work at Scout Camps and what we observed during last year's launch of the SCCP: at camp, we have only a limited time period with which to work other camps. As a camp staffer off and on since 1960 (last in 2005), I found my operating times very limited and channeled into only a few brief time slots per camp week (was Fishing then Technology Program Director; lunch time was my best time). It's our hope that enough ham-Scouters become aware of the SCCP's schedules that matches can be made so that inter-camp contacts can be established. We're gonna try our darndest to make it work. I'm in an Arizona RV park for the summer-long duration of my cancer treatment, so might be able to meet a Sunday schedule if propagation conditions between Ohio and Arizona are agreeable (AZ is tough to the northeast), if we can come up with a suitable time given the time zone differences (3 hours between us), if my health and strength are up to it, and if I can get my Buddipole vertical up above the trees and radiating beyond downtown Prescott. It's a challenge to meet a schedule these days but we're determined.

      Email me shortly before you're gonna be at camp and I'll see where I stand (if still standing). I'll do my best.

      Editor-Publisher
      "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
      No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.
      http://ocarg.org Subscribe: mailto:subscribe@...
    • James Mc Nichol
      Message 2 of 8 , May 15, 2007
        Hi all,

        Just to give you an early heads up. K5HAL and myself will be
        operating from the Chester County Scout Science Camp the week of June
        24 - 30 from Camp Ware in southern Chester county.

        Last year didn't result in many contacts, hopefully it will be better
        this year.

        YIS
        N3LBY Jim
      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 8 , May 16, 2007
          I hope to be operating from Camp Tres Ritos in
          New Mexico from July 1-7

          Jeff Montgomery
          WB4WXD
          Palestine, Texas
        • N8VCL
          Message 4 of 8 , May 16, 2007
            On 5/16/07, Jeff <jmonty@...> wrote:

            > I hope to be operating from Camp Tres Ritos in
            > New Mexico from July 1-7
            >
            > Jeff Montgomery
            > WB4WXD
            > Palestine, Texas

            We'll have to try to hook up. I will be at Beaumont in NE Ohio the
            same week and I'm planning on bringing the rig out.

            Scott - N8VCL
          • Dale Lamm
            Message 5 of 8 , May 16, 2007
              Hi Scott,

              Was at Beaumont in January. The cabin closest to the bridge over the Grand
              River (#1?) was blessed with a big screw eye in the roof trim just outside
              the back door. Made the low end of a sloping dipole easy to attach. High end
              was hoisted into a tree using a tossed rope & weight. Made several Q's with
              a 100 watt rig. Always enjoy talking ham radio with Scouts.

              Dale - NX8J