Re: [ScoutRadio] Summer camp operating

  • Fred Stevens K2FRD
    Message 1 of 8 , May 10 10:30 AM
      Matt, check out the Scout Camp Calling Protocol (SCCP) in the Files section http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadio/files/SCCP/ and see if it fits into, or can be made to fit into your schedule. Normally, at least with camps with which I've been involved, Sundays aren't so hot for ham operations since the Scouts and Troops are just arriving at camp and are busy with check-ins, set-ups, scheduling, and orientation, but there's often a few staff or other personnel who just "hang out" Sundays.

      73 and YIS de Fred K2FRD

      At 4:36 AM +0000 10/5/07, Matt Murphy wrote:
      >Hello All! I have been playing around with an idea of operating from
      >the local camp, Muskingum Valley Scout Reservation, on each Sunday of
      >the 5 weeks of resident camp. It would be an afternoon/evening
      >operation with probably just me operating. This is just planning now.
      > Camp starts on Father's day so I still have a few weeks. I will let
      >you all know if this is a go. I figured to get the word out now so I
      >will have more to do than call CQ (hihi).
      >
      >No special reason to do this really. Just giving another scout
      >contact out to everyone. I am also off work on Sunday's. :)
      >
      >73
      >Matt, kc8bew

      Editor-Publisher
      "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
      No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.
      http://ocarg.org Subscribe: mailto:subscribe@...
    • Matt Murphy
      Message 2 of 8 , May 11 6:02 PM
        Fred, I am familiar with the SCCP. Sunday is not the best time to do
        this either. I don't have another day to work with right now. Sunday
        hits on my days off and Mon is tied up(my other day off). If I can
        get something during the week, I will shoot for that, but that will be
        on a week by week basis. I am just trying to help others make some
        contacts.

        Matt, kc8bew

        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd@...> wrote:

        > Matt, check out the Scout Camp Calling Protocol (SCCP) in the Files
        section http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadio/files/SCCP/ and see
        if it fits into, or can be made to fit into your schedule. Normally,
        at least with camps with which I've been involved, Sundays aren't so
        hot for ham operations since the Scouts and Troops are just arriving
        at camp and are busy with check-ins, set-ups, scheduling, and
        orientation, but there's often a few staff or other personnel who just
        "hang out" Sundays.

        > 73 and YIS de Fred K2FRD
      • Fred Stevens K2FRD
        Message 3 of 8 , May 12 6:48 PM
          At 1:02 AM +0000 12/5/07, Matt Murphy wrote:
          >Fred, I am familiar with the SCCP. Sunday is not the best time to do
          >this either. I don't have another day to work with right now. Sunday
          >hits on my days off and Mon is tied up(my other day off). If I can
          >get something during the week, I will shoot for that, but that will be
          >on a week by week basis. I am just trying to help others make some
          >contacts.
          >
          >Matt, kc8bew

          Matt, you're in the same quandary situation as the others who attend or work at Scout Camps and what we observed during last year's launch of the SCCP: at camp, we have only a limited time period with which to work other camps. As a camp staffer off and on since 1960 (last in 2005), I found my operating times very limited and channeled into only a few brief time slots per camp week (was Fishing then Technology Program Director; lunch time was my best time). It's our hope that enough ham-Scouters become aware of the SCCP's schedules that matches can be made so that inter-camp contacts can be established. We're gonna try our darndest to make it work. I'm in an Arizona RV park for the summer-long duration of my cancer treatment, so might be able to meet a Sunday schedule if propagation conditions between Ohio and Arizona are agreeable (AZ is tough to the northeast), if we can come up with a suitable time given the time zone differences (3 hours between us), if my health and strength are up to it, and if I can get my Buddipole vertical up above the trees and radiating beyond downtown Prescott. It's a challenge to meet a schedule these days but we're determined.

          Email me shortly before you're gonna be at camp and I'll see where I stand (if still standing). I'll do my best.

          Editor-Publisher
          "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
          No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.
          http://ocarg.org Subscribe: mailto:subscribe@...
        • James Mc Nichol
          Message 4 of 8 , May 15 6:01 AM
            Hi all,

            Just to give you an early heads up. K5HAL and myself will be
            operating from the Chester County Scout Science Camp the week of June
            24 - 30 from Camp Ware in southern Chester county.

            Last year didn't result in many contacts, hopefully it will be better
            this year.

            YIS
            N3LBY Jim
          • Jeff
            Message 5 of 8 , May 16 7:54 AM
              I hope to be operating from Camp Tres Ritos in
              New Mexico from July 1-7

              Jeff Montgomery
              WB4WXD
              Palestine, Texas
            • N8VCL
              Message 6 of 8 , May 16 8:13 AM
                On 5/16/07, Jeff <jmonty@...> wrote:

                > I hope to be operating from Camp Tres Ritos in
                > New Mexico from July 1-7
                >
                > Jeff Montgomery
                > WB4WXD
                > Palestine, Texas

                We'll have to try to hook up. I will be at Beaumont in NE Ohio the
                same week and I'm planning on bringing the rig out.

                Scott - N8VCL
              • Dale Lamm
                Message 7 of 8 , May 16 8:34 PM
                  Hi Scott,

                  Was at Beaumont in January. The cabin closest to the bridge over the Grand
                  River (#1?) was blessed with a big screw eye in the roof trim just outside
                  the back door. Made the low end of a sloping dipole easy to attach. High end
                  was hoisted into a tree using a tossed rope & weight. Made several Q's with
                  a 100 watt rig. Always enjoy talking ham radio with Scouts.

                  Dale - NX8J