Summer camp operating

  • Matt Murphy
    Message 1 of 8 , May 9, 2007
      Hello All! I have been playing around with an idea of operating from
      the local camp, Muskingum Valley Scout Reservation, on each Sunday of
      the 5 weeks of resident camp. It would be an afternoon/evening
      operation with probably just me operating. This is just planning now.
      Camp starts on Father's day so I still have a few weeks. I will let
      you all know if this is a go. I figured to get the word out now so I
      will have more to do than call CQ (hihi).

      No special reason to do this really. Just giving another scout
      contact out to everyone. I am also off work on Sunday's. :)

      73
      Matt, kc8bew
    • Fred Stevens K2FRD
      Message 2 of 8 , May 10, 2007
        Matt, check out the Scout Camp Calling Protocol (SCCP) in the Files section http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadio/files/SCCP/ and see if it fits into, or can be made to fit into your schedule. Normally, at least with camps with which I've been involved, Sundays aren't so hot for ham operations since the Scouts and Troops are just arriving at camp and are busy with check-ins, set-ups, scheduling, and orientation, but there's often a few staff or other personnel who just "hang out" Sundays.

        73 and YIS de Fred K2FRD

        At 4:36 AM +0000 10/5/07, Matt Murphy wrote:
        >Hello All! I have been playing around with an idea of operating from
        >the local camp, Muskingum Valley Scout Reservation, on each Sunday of
        >the 5 weeks of resident camp. It would be an afternoon/evening
        >operation with probably just me operating. This is just planning now.
        > Camp starts on Father's day so I still have a few weeks. I will let
        >you all know if this is a go. I figured to get the word out now so I
        >will have more to do than call CQ (hihi).
        >
        >No special reason to do this really. Just giving another scout
        >contact out to everyone. I am also off work on Sunday's. :)
        >
        >73
        >Matt, kc8bew

        Editor-Publisher
        "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
        No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.
        http://ocarg.org Subscribe: mailto:subscribe@...
      • Matt Murphy
        Message 3 of 8 , May 11, 2007
          Fred, I am familiar with the SCCP. Sunday is not the best time to do
          this either. I don't have another day to work with right now. Sunday
          hits on my days off and Mon is tied up(my other day off). If I can
          get something during the week, I will shoot for that, but that will be
          on a week by week basis. I am just trying to help others make some
          contacts.

          Matt, kc8bew

          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd@...> wrote:

          > Matt, check out the Scout Camp Calling Protocol (SCCP) in the Files
          section http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadio/files/SCCP/ and see
          if it fits into, or can be made to fit into your schedule. Normally,
          at least with camps with which I've been involved, Sundays aren't so
          hot for ham operations since the Scouts and Troops are just arriving
          at camp and are busy with check-ins, set-ups, scheduling, and
          orientation, but there's often a few staff or other personnel who just
          "hang out" Sundays.

          > 73 and YIS de Fred K2FRD
        • Fred Stevens K2FRD
          Message 4 of 8 , May 12, 2007
            At 1:02 AM +0000 12/5/07, Matt Murphy wrote:
            >Fred, I am familiar with the SCCP. Sunday is not the best time to do
            >this either. I don't have another day to work with right now. Sunday
            >hits on my days off and Mon is tied up(my other day off). If I can
            >get something during the week, I will shoot for that, but that will be
            >on a week by week basis. I am just trying to help others make some
            >contacts.
            >
            >Matt, kc8bew

            Matt, you're in the same quandary situation as the others who attend or work at Scout Camps and what we observed during last year's launch of the SCCP: at camp, we have only a limited time period with which to work other camps. As a camp staffer off and on since 1960 (last in 2005), I found my operating times very limited and channeled into only a few brief time slots per camp week (was Fishing then Technology Program Director; lunch time was my best time). It's our hope that enough ham-Scouters become aware of the SCCP's schedules that matches can be made so that inter-camp contacts can be established. We're gonna try our darndest to make it work. I'm in an Arizona RV park for the summer-long duration of my cancer treatment, so might be able to meet a Sunday schedule if propagation conditions between Ohio and Arizona are agreeable (AZ is tough to the northeast), if we can come up with a suitable time given the time zone differences (3 hours between us), if my health and strength are up to it, and if I can get my Buddipole vertical up above the trees and radiating beyond downtown Prescott. It's a challenge to meet a schedule these days but we're determined.

            Email me shortly before you're gonna be at camp and I'll see where I stand (if still standing). I'll do my best.

            Editor-Publisher
            "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
            No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.
            http://ocarg.org Subscribe: mailto:subscribe@...
          • James Mc Nichol
            Message 5 of 8 , May 15, 2007
              Hi all,

              Just to give you an early heads up. K5HAL and myself will be
              operating from the Chester County Scout Science Camp the week of June
              24 - 30 from Camp Ware in southern Chester county.

              Last year didn't result in many contacts, hopefully it will be better
              this year.

              YIS
              N3LBY Jim
            • Jeff
              Message 6 of 8 , May 16, 2007
                I hope to be operating from Camp Tres Ritos in
                New Mexico from July 1-7

                Jeff Montgomery
                WB4WXD
                Palestine, Texas
              • N8VCL
                Message 7 of 8 , May 16, 2007
                  On 5/16/07, Jeff <jmonty@...> wrote:

                  > I hope to be operating from Camp Tres Ritos in
                  > New Mexico from July 1-7
                  >
                  > Jeff Montgomery
                  > WB4WXD
                  > Palestine, Texas

                  We'll have to try to hook up. I will be at Beaumont in NE Ohio the
                  same week and I'm planning on bringing the rig out.

                  Scott - N8VCL
                • Dale Lamm
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 16, 2007
                    Hi Scott,

                    Was at Beaumont in January. The cabin closest to the bridge over the Grand
                    River (#1?) was blessed with a big screw eye in the roof trim just outside
                    the back door. Made the low end of a sloping dipole easy to attach. High end
                    was hoisted into a tree using a tossed rope & weight. Made several Q's with
                    a 100 watt rig. Always enjoy talking ham radio with Scouts.

                    Dale - NX8J