RE: [REACT-L] An Idea

  • Bob Bruninga
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2000
      > > Alan - He may not realize why channels 7 and 9 are a bad choice.
      >
      > And Alan may not realize why ch 7 & 9 MIGHT be a [good] choice...

      Everyone is making excellent points. And i think we all agree!

      Channel-1 is the universal calling channel. In isolated areas it is a
      perfect place to find other people hiking in the woods. In very busy
      areas it will be clobbered, but still a good starting place.

      Yes, we will add Channel-1 to our Bike Trail Pamphlets and indicate that
      it may be the best place to find help. Good point.

      But all of the reasons that CH-1 is good for this purpose is what drove us
      to choose CH-7 for use on the TRAIL and CH-9 for use in emergencies:

      a) Our trail's 14 miles is mostly through prime suburban areas. Kids
      playing on chanel 1 will be a nuisance all along the trail... Probably
      80% of all radios sold to date are single channel 1's?

      b) We chose ch-7 for the trail, to avoid the noise. No, not everyone can
      come up on 7, unless they buy a 14 channel model, but the people who use
      the trail regularly and seriously are more than happy to make that
      investment.

      c) We chose ch-9 for "emergencies" for 2 reasons, first to try to
      discourage its use for idle chit-chat, thus reserving it for higher
      priority use. and Second, to further reduce the idle chit-chat that the
      rangers would have to monitor since that is the only channel they will
      monitor due to the amount of traffic that will be on the others. If we
      dont make this distinction, then they probably will not monitor it...

      Further, ch-9 use is being MINIMIZED by this choice as an emergency
      channel, not maximized. THus it helps reduce any potential problem with
      wide-open GMRS repeaters...

      Thanks for you excellent feedback about channel 1. Clearly it should
      always be listed as a place to call for help where the greatest
      probability will be of being heard.

      de WB4APR, Bob Bruninga