Re: Signaling Merit Badge Requirements

  • Gary Wilson
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 5, 2007
      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd@...> wrote:

      > And we all remember the furor when National announced they were
      dropping the signaling requirement:

      Actually, if you think about it, the First Class Scout requirments
      originally derived from what Baden-Powell determined were essential
      skills for a turn of the century miltary scout to know. Stalking,
      memorization of observations, sketch map making, map and compass,
      campcraft and flag signaling were all derived from this.

      But military technology has moved on. Following the logic to the
      extreme, perhaps our modern First Class Scouts should know the modern
      equivalents used by Rangers and USAF Combat Controllers. That would
      mean adding voice radio procedure, water filters, and GPS to the
      existing skills. Perhaps parachute and helo insertion, using night
      vision goggles, avoiding IED's and calling in precision guided
      munitions using laser designators might be a bit too much. But the
      kids would get a thrill out of it, much as kids in 1907 did with the
      equivalent skills learned from that period.

      Now that's a radical idea, but really no more radical than what kids
      were doing when they first found B-P's "Aids to Scouting" book during
      the Boer War and started playing soldier.

      73

      Gary Wilson, K2GW
      (Also a keen student of Scouting history)
    • Fred Stevens K2FRD
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 5, 2007
        Fun with a purpose. But when the requirements start including HALO jumps and rappelling out of perfectly good aircraft with us adults leading the way, then I'm out of here! :-D

        73 de Fred K2FRD

        At 3:28 PM +0000 5/4/07, Gary Wilson wrote:
        >--- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd@...> wrote:
        >
        >> And we all remember the furor when National announced they were
        >dropping the signaling requirement:
        >>

        >Actually, if you think about it, the First Class Scout requirments
        >originally derived from what Baden-Powell determined were essential
        >skills for a turn of the century miltary scout to know. Stalking,
        >memorization of observations, sketch map making, map and compass,
        >campcraft and flag signaling were all derived from this.
        >
        >But military technology has moved on. Following the logic to the
        >extreme, perhaps our modern First Class Scouts should know the modern
        >equivalents used by Rangers and USAF Combat Controllers. That would
        >mean adding voice radio procedure, water filters, and GPS to the
        >existing skills. Perhaps parachute and helo insertion, using night
        >vision goggles, avoiding IED's and calling in precision guided
        >munitions using laser designators might be a bit too much. But the
        >kids would get a thrill out of it, much as kids in 1907 did with the
        >equivalent skills learned from that period.
        >
        >Now that's a radical idea, but really no more radical than what kids
        >were doing when they first found B-P's "Aids to Scouting" book during
        >the Boer War and started playing soldier.
        >
        >73
        >
        >Gary Wilson, K2GW
        >(Also a keen student of Scouting history)

        Editor-Publisher
        "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
        No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.
        http://ocarg.org Subscribe: mailto:subscribe@...
      • J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 8, 2007

          Gary and Fred,

          Seems to me that we could have both the old and new requirements in a mix to obtain the desired results including some  basic climbing and rappelling, but of course we can leave out the HALO jumps!

          Many of our Troop’s Scout do these things out of curiosity anyway!

          We just need to keep them in line with Guide to Safe Scouting!

          YIS,

          Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

          201.314.6964