JOTA 2007

  • Gary Wilson
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 30, 2007
      From the Amateur Radio Newsline:

      HAM RADIO AND SCOUTING: AROUND THE WORLD IN 50 HOURS

      Around the World in 50 Hours will be the theme of this
      years Scouting Jamboree On The Air. JOTA as it is better
      known, is an annual event in which about 500,000 Scouts and
      Scout Guides all over the world make contacts with each
      other by means of Amateur Radio.

      The idea of the 50 hour operating schedule is to honor the
      golden-jubilee of the Jamboree by extending it two hours.
      One hour for every year that it has existed. As a result,
      this years 50th JOTA will run from October 19th at 22:00
      hours to October 21st at 24:00 hours your local time.

      An official start will be given by the World Scout Bureau
      radio station in Geneva, Switzerland on October 19th at
      21:00 h GMT with a transmission in the 20 and 80 meter
      bands and on Echolink. (WIA, GB2RS, Southgate)

      ---

      It's never to early to start planning your JOTA operation!

      73

      Gary, K2GW
    • Joe Serocki
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 19, 2007
        JOTA 2007

        There seems to be some great JOTA stuff on the group. I have quite a few questions.

        Our club will be hosting JOTA, which makes sense since we are directly linked with the Venture Crew. When we are not connected overseas (ah, the simplicity of IRLP!) we will be on 9052 and many thanks to Corey for allowing us to use this channel on his reflector!

        ·       Does anyone have any suggestions, plan of attack, plan of any form (grin) to get this kicked off. Its only a couple months out and I am kinda clueless at this point. We have a location. We will use the pamphlet that is on the group to promote this to our local council.

        ·       We would like to get badges, where can we acquire them?

        ·       We have a dedicated club node (4239) to use and as long as Comcast and Com Ed don’t screw up it will be online. Does anyone have any info on using IRLP in JOTA? Recommendations?

        ·       Does anyone have any other ideas for other activities during this activity? Although we geeks love to get together and just BS on the air, kids MUST remain active. We discovered that in our Merit Badge classes.

        Thanks in advance for all the help!

        73, Joe, N9IFG

        Assistant Regional Coordinator, AYSO Region 428 (http://ayso428.com)

        Prez, WeLCARS (http://welcars.org)

        Advisor, Venture Crew 743 (http://743.no-ip.org)

        IRLP Node 4239

      • Allan R. Batteiger
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 20, 2007
          Joe Serocki wrote:

          > · Does anyone have any suggestions, plan of attack, plan of any form
          > (grin) to get this kicked off. It’s only a couple months out and I am
          > kinda clueless at this point. We have a location. We will use the
          > pamphlet that is on the group to promote this to our local council.

          We have been announcing it at the Monthly RT meetings, It is (or shortly
          will be) on the District WWW site, We also try to get it on the city www
          calendar. Also talk it up at any Scout meetings.

          > · We would like to get badges, where can we acquire them?

          This was in a previous email. I believe you get them from the National
          BSA HQ in Irving TX.

          > · We have a dedicated club node (4239) to use and as long as Comcast
          > and Com Ed don’t screw up it will be online. Does anyone have any info
          > on using IRLP in JOTA? Recommendations?

          Use all means available to make your JOTA site interesting. We have in
          the past had a setup of HF, VHF, and Echolink all at the same time.

          > · Does anyone have any other ideas for other activities during this
          > activity? Although we geeks love to get together and just BS on the
          > air, kids MUST remain active. We discovered that in our Merit Badge
          > classes.

          Radio MB classes, Direction finding, etc. We have in the past had a RMB
          class first thing in the morning, followed by everyone going outside to
          the JOTA site to complete the requirements.

          > Thanks in advance for all the help!
          >
          > 73, Joe, N9IFG
          >
          > Assistant Regional Coordinator, AYSO Region 428 (http://ayso428.com)
          >
          > Prez, WeLCARS (___http://welcars.org_ <http://welcars.no-ip.org>)
          >
          > Advisor, Venture Crew 743 (___http://743.no-ip.org_)
          >
          > IRLP Node 4239
          >

          > ._,___
          Hope you have a successful JOTA
          Allan - WB5QNG
        • ravennaelectronics
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 20, 2007
            Howdy Joe.
            Our club's Venturing Crew is hosting JOTA at the clubhouse this
            year. They asked units to pre-register so that they can ensure they
            can get some "air-time." This also helps us control the number of
            youth that have that potential to get bored quickly simply because
            we keep them active. We keep them active with demonstration on
            electronic kit building, How-To Solder, Radio MB, Electronic MB and
            even the Computer MB. For the Cub Scout age kids we are going to
            work with them on the various things they need for advancement. An
            example will be items for the Communicator Badge for Webelos. For
            the more seasoned scouts we try to get them out on a Fox Hunt or
            GeoCache. All this along with sitting in the radio room or at the
            Echolink doing contacts.

            To be able to do this we always request the help and support of the
            club. It will not be possible to do this without the additional
            help.

            Make sure JOTA is promoted to the media, Roundtables, word of mouth,
            flyers, etc.. Also make sure you have back-up games and things
            should the bands crash or Murphy comes to visit.

            I hope this helps.
            Rich "Doc" Strait, KD8BGQ
            Muskegon Area Amateur Radio Council's
            Venturing Crew 9050 CC/CR

            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Serocki" <joeserocki@...>
            wrote:

            > There seems to be some great JOTA stuff on the group. I have quite
            a few
            > questions.
            >
            > Our club will be hosting JOTA, which makes sense since we are
            directly
            > linked with the Venture Crew. When we are not connected overseas
            (ah, the
            > simplicity of IRLP!) we will be on 9052 and many thanks to Corey
            for
            > allowing us to use this channel on his reflector!
            >
            > * Does anyone have any suggestions, plan of attack, plan of
            any form
            > (grin) to get this kicked off. It's only a couple months out and I
            am kinda
            > clueless at this point. We have a location. We will use the
            pamphlet that is
            > on the group to promote this to our local council.
            > * We would like to get badges, where can we acquire them?
            > * We have a dedicated club node (4239) to use and as long as
            Comcast
            > and Com Ed don't screw up it will be online. Does anyone have any
            info on
            > using IRLP in JOTA? Recommendations?
            > * Does anyone have any other ideas for other activities during
            this
            > activity? Although we geeks love to get together and just BS on
            the air,
            > kids MUST remain active. We discovered that in our Merit Badge
            classes.

            > Thanks in advance for all the help!
            >

            > 73, Joe, N9IFG
            > Assistant Regional Coordinator, AYSO Region 428
            (http://ayso428.com)
            > Prez, WeLCARS (http://welcars.org <http://welcars.no-ip.org> )
            > Advisor, Venture Crew 743 (http://743.no-ip.org)
            > IRLP Node 4239

          • Rob Hoitt
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 21, 2007
              Joe,
              First up congrats on your club sponsoring JOTA! I have been an advocate of club participation for years, it makes a significant difference. Here are some thngs that I would suggest doing if you haven't already:

              1) Identify your target audience. Are you looking for just Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, or Girl Scouts or are you looking to help everybody at any level?

              2) Identify activities that would appeal to your audience. (e.g. A Cub or Girl Scout would not benefit from a Radio Merit Badge class. But both would benefit from fun hands-on electronic projects.) Last year we had a "decyphering course" where participants were given a sheet with morse code, semaphore, international signal flags, and the freemason cypher and were sent to various stations arround camp based upon their aility to decode previous stations. That appealed to every group and encouraged cooperation.

              3) Where do you want to have your JOTA? If you already have a relationship with your local council, seek to use a council camp. Treat it like a practice field day, your Scout units will treat it like a camping experience.

              4) Promote. Have a representative go to the local council's September Roundtable and let leaders know you will be set up.

              5) Invite council staffers to participate. You don't just want them there, you want them on the air! If you can get a staffer in touch with HB9S it will be a real treat!

              I am sure that the rest of the group can offer great ideas too, but in my council we went from an event of 6 anually to last year having 303! (not bad for about 8 year's of investment.)

              Remember, a large chunk of your investment here is relationships. If you can show one leader how much fun JOTA can be, they will tell others, and your participation will grow. Be prepared for a soft first year, but be ready for more just in case.

              Feel free to email if you have any questions and I will offer what advice I can, best of luck!!!

              --
              Rob Hoitt, N1FSK
              Daniel Webster Council Committee
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 14, 2007
                Our JOTA plans include 3 HF and 2 VHF stations this year. We are the
                Inland Northwest Council, Spokane, WA, and the Lilac City Amateur
                Radio Club and Spokane County ARES.

                My question is this: Does anyone have a intro or such that they give
                when the boys arrive?

                Our JOTA is done at Camp Cowles and we are usually a stop on the days
                activities. As we try to get more organized I am trying to have
                something to say to everyone as they come. I am looking for 30 - 1
                min blurb.

                Thsnks,

                Mike, KD7GHZ
              • Andrew
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 14, 2007
                  Our Group will be running a JOTA station this year from Kariong on the
                  NSW Central Coast. Listen out for VK2SAQ. 1st Asquith Scout Group.
                  Will be on IRLP, HF and local UHF & VHF.

                  73
                  PITT
                  VK2FACD

                  --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "ekimyerac" <ekimyerac@...> wrote:

                  > Our JOTA plans include 3 HF and 2 VHF stations this year. We are the
                  > Inland Northwest Council, Spokane, WA, and the Lilac City Amateur
                  > Radio Club and Spokane County ARES.
                  >
                  > My question is this: Does anyone have a intro or such that they give
                  > when the boys arrive?
                  >
                  > Our JOTA is done at Camp Cowles and we are usually a stop on the days
                  > activities. As we try to get more organized I am trying to have
                  > something to say to everyone as they come. I am looking for 30 - 1
                  > min blurb.
                  >
                  > Thsnks,
                  >
                  > Mike, KD7GHZ

                • Tony Wooten AB5RO
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 5, 2007
                    On JOTA weekend our local council also runs it's big SCOR-O
                    orenteering event, and the two events compete with each other with
                    JOTA finishing last. This year the Council has taken a renewed
                    interest in Scout radio ( allowing us me to install a ham station at
                    out Worth Ranch Scout Camp for summer camp 2008 being the largest
                    new activity, along with Radio merit badge and a complete Scout
                    Radio program. We have formed the Worth Ranch Amateur Radio
                    Association, and are well on our way toward the station and prgram
                    being open for summer camp 2008.) They have asked me if we could
                    expand the program amd have radio stations at out other two
                    summercamps by summer camp 2008!.I was asked if I was going to run a
                    JOTA station this year, and I told out council program ex. yes. he
                    asked me if I would be willing to operate JOTA from the main Camp 9
                    dinning hall at the SCOR-0 event this year, so I will have a JOTA
                    station operating from Sid Richardson Scout Camp (SR2) on Saturday
                    Oct.20 from 0700 CDT through 2300 CDT on the JOTA freqs. I hope to
                    hear from many scouts. It has taken us several years of hounding
                    the council about Scout Radio programs to get this type of positive
                    reaction from them, but i am a BIG HOUND, so keep on hounding.

                    Thank you all for all you do for scouting!!
                    YIS
                    Tony Wooten AB5RO
                    Crew Adviser
                    Crew 1875
                  • Robert Bruninga
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 5, 2007
                      If any JOTA stations also run APRS as a side show:

                      Remember, that the network is supposed to pass any message to
                      "SCOUTS" from anywhere to anywhere. So send a CQ JOTA message
                      to SCOUTS is a way of finding other groups.

                      Also add SCOUTS to your message-group list, so that your station
                      will receive any such messages.

                      This is completely dependent on the local APRS I-gate operator
                      having added the callsign SCOUTS to his "pass-to-RF list" in his
                      area. Many have not done this, so there are no guarantees.

                      Bob, WB4APR
                    • NA0S - Kevin Cutright
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 5, 2007

                        How would I do this running UI-View?

                        Thanks.

                        Kevin, na0s

                        If any JOTA stations also run APRS as a side show:

                        Remember, that the network is supposed to pass any message to
                        "SCOUTS" from anywhere to anywhere. So send a CQ JOTA message
                        to SCOUTS is a way of finding other groups.

                        Also add SCOUTS to your message-group list, so that your station
                        will receive any such messages.

                        This is completely dependent on the local APRS I-gate operator
                        having added the callsign SCOUTS to his "pass-to-RF list" in his
                        area. Many have not done this, so there are no guarantees.

                        Bob, WB4APR

                        Virus Database (VPS): 000778-4, 10/05/2007
                        Tested on: 10/5/2007 8:08:36 PM

                        Virus Database (VPS): 000778-4, 10/05/2007
                        Tested on: 10/5/2007 8:11:07 PM

                      • Bob Bruninga
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 5, 2007
                          > How would I do this using UI-View?

                          >> ... APRS is supposed to pass messages to "SCOUTS"
                          >> to RF, so that scouts can easily find each other...

                          The problem with this approach is that it required action on the part of a 3rd party (an Igate operator) to set it up. AA5PL, Pete has suggested a much better method that will work in the field for everyone that wants to QSO without dependence on a 3rd party!.

                          Pete suggests a "Registered Broadcast Server". The way it works is that you send an APRS message to the server indicating your intention to join the SCOUTS Broadcast. At this point, you will receive a copy of any SCOUTS broadcasts. You can send up to one outgoing "broadcast" once every 30 minutes. After 12 hours, you will time-out of the server.

                          Volunteer programmer? We need something like this written!

                          This will greatly facilitate APRS-two-way communications through the APRS-IS which is sorely needed in APRS today to get back on track with what APRS is all about. Exchanging information between live people.

                          Something like this:

                          TO: CQSERV MSG:CQ SCOUTS
                          This will log you into the broadcast server for "SCOUTS".
                          You get a reply message: "Logged in to SCOUTS at 2236z"

                          To: SCOUTS MSG:CQ JOTA, from troop 995 Annapolis Maryland.
                          When you send this message, the server will broadcast
                          this message one-time-only with no ACK to all
                          logged on users of SCOUTS.

                          TO: CQSERV MSG:Logoff
                          This will log you off if you are finished with your
                          event to cut down QRM from the server through your IGate.

                          This could work for SATERN, or YOUTH, or any other subset of come-as-you are groups that are widely dispersed but may need to contact each other from the field.

                          Wow, I think this could really be a new dimension for APRS! Thanks Pete... (or it could be melt-down... depending on usage). But we can throttle it back if it gets out of hand. But without it, we have no way of contacting remote groups through the APRS-IS without apriori knowledge. And APRS was never supposed to be dependent on apriori knowledge to facilitate communications?

                          ANy programmer with time on his hands?

                          WB4APR, Bob
                        • D.G.
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 7, 2007
                            Team:

                            We are thinking of being near Mt. Baden Powell during JOTA (near Wrightwood, CA).

                            I may make the hike up to the summit and try some 10 meter 29.390 SSB contacts.

                            I have heard rumors that there may be other scout troops hiking during this time.

                            Anyone have any information on this?

                            Thanks...

                          • Robert Giuliani W1RPG
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 18, 2007
                              The Stratford Amateur Radio Club, W1ORS will be active during JOTA on
                              Saturday, October 20, 2007.
                              We have sent out invitations via local scout councils.
                              We will be on 20m SSB, 40 SSB and 40M PSK31 as well as 10m SSB as their
                              is a large 10m operator base in the area.
                              Also, we will have 2m FM on 146.55.
                              See you on the air.

                              CQ JOTA
                            • Andrew
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 18, 2007

                                1st Asquith Scout Group will be on air from around 1300TC Friday til 0400UTC Sunday. We be using UHF, VHF and IRLP Node 6060

                                Unfortunately we weren’t able to get the HF radio.

                                Callsign is VK2SAQ with operators VK2KVJ, VK2FACD, VK2FACF, VK2FTPC.

                                We will be located at - 33°26'33.95"S 151°16'26.90"E

                                There will be plenty of Joeys, Cubs and Scouts willing to speak on the radio.

                                Points are available for the Scouting 100 Radio Award.

                                Yours in Scouting,

                                Andrew

                                VK2FACD