RE: [ScoutRadio] Signaling Merit Badge Requirements

  • Fred Stevens K2FRD
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 26, 2007
      At 9:37 AM -0400 26/3/07, barry whittemore wrote:
      >Some merit badges still require building things. I just finnished up the
      >Electronics MB with a few boys and that requires building electronic kits.
      >AH, solder smoke, how sweet it is.
      >barry
      >WB1EDI/KB1NH

      I taught Electronics MB at camp in summer 2005. I had a lot of fun teaching soldering and not just for the smell of solder flux. I told the Scouts that minor burns were an inevitable part of soldering and not to worry about the smell of burning skin. They actually took it as a point of pride when they invariably burned themselves. Sorta a red badge of courage. :-D

      Editor-Publisher
      "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
      No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.
      http://ocarg.org Subscribe: mailto:subscribe@...
    • Gary Wilson
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 30, 2007
        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Dana McRae" <w6dbm@...> wrote:

        > One a small point - Semaphore is a totally different method of
        > signalling (with it's own "code" (*not* Morse)) than "wigwag", which
        > *does* use Morse Code (to the "wagger's" R = Dot; to the L = Dash,
        as I recall).

        > "Wigwag" used a single, longer pole, usually with a flag at the end,
        > while semaphore required two flags, attached to much shorter poles.

        Correct. Either Semaphore or Wig Wag could be used to meet the First
        Class requirement in effect until 1972.

        Semaphore uses two diagonaly striped flags which are held in each
        hand. The position of the arms (like the hands of a clock) indicate
        the letter. For example, both arms stuck straight out at 9 o'clock
        and 3 o'clock is "R". The flags are just used to increase
        visibility. Navy signalman sometimes "talk" to each other just using
        their hands alone when ships are alongside.

        Wigwag was a way of sending Morse Code using a single flag on a long
        pole. A figure eight twirl to the senders right was a dot and a
        twirl to the left was a dash. Boy Scouts could remember this easily
        by thinking of their patrol emblem as a dot and their community (now
        Council) strip as a dash. The flag was brought to the vertical
        between letters.

        Two flags were available in a wigwag set to maximize the contrast
        against a given background; a white square on a red field and red
        square on white field. Only one would be used in a given situation.
        Th US Army Signal corps emblem consists of these two flags.

        It's still fun for kids to do and gives tham a purpose to build those
        signal towers.

        73

        Gary, K2GW
      • Fred Stevens K2FRD
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 30, 2007
          At 7:57 PM +0000 30/3/07, Gary Wilson wrote:

          >Correct. Either Semaphore or Wig Wag could be used to meet the First
          >Class requirement in effect until 1972.

          And we all remember the furor when National announced they were dropping the signaling requirement:

          • It would "cheapen" the First Class requirements so that ANYONE could become 1st Class.

          • The "old-timers" felt that the newby 1st Classes would demean those who had earned their ranks the hard way.

          • Morse Code and semaphore would become "dead languages", lost arts.

          • The signaling requirement was part of the tradition for becoming First Class, a tradition lost forever, wiped out with the stroke of a pen.

          • Once the hurdle of signaling was abandoned, everybody would become Eagles.

          • Everyone would want to become a Scout since the requirements were dumbed down. Why, even Girl Scouts would want to become Boy Scouts.

          • Emergency communications would suffer.

          --.../...--//./-//-.--/../...//-.././/

          ..-./.-././-..//-.-/..---/..-./.-./-..///

          :-D :-[ O:-) :-!

          Editor-Publisher
          "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
          No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.
          http://ocarg.org Subscribe: mailto:subscribe@...
        • Bill Stewart
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 30, 2007
            Gee, where have I heard that before??

            73,

            Bill Stewart, W2BSA

            Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:

            > At 7:57 PM +0000 30/3/07, Gary Wilson wrote:
            > >
            > >Correct. Either Semaphore or Wig Wag could be used to meet the First
            > >Class requirement in effect until 1972.
            >
            > And we all remember the furor when National announced they were
            > dropping the signaling requirement:
            >
            > • It would "cheapen" the First Class requirements so that ANYONE could
            > become 1st Class.
            >
            > • The "old-timers" felt that the newby 1st Classes would demean those
            > who had earned their ranks the hard way.
            >
            > • Morse Code and semaphore would become "dead languages", lost arts.
            >
            > • The signaling requirement was part of the tradition for becoming
            > First Class, a tradition lost forever, wiped out with the stroke of a pen.
            >
            > • Once the hurdle of signaling was abandoned, everybody would become
            > Eagles.
            >
            > • Everyone would want to become a Scout since the requirements were
            > dumbed down. Why, even Girl Scouts would want to become Boy Scouts.
            >
            > • Emergency communications would suffer.
            >
            > --.../...--//./-//-.--/../...//-.././/
            >
            > ..-./.-././-..//-.-/..---/..-./.-./-..///
            >
            > :-D :-[ O:-) :-!
            >
            > --
            > 73 and Yours In Scouting de Fred Stevens K2FRD, VO2FS
            > Editor-Publisher
            > Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group EAGLE newsletter
            > "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
            > No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.
            > http://ocarg.org <http://ocarg.org> Subscribe:
            > mailto:subscribe@... <mailto:subscribe%40ocarg.org>

          • Gary Wilson
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 5, 2007
              --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd@...> wrote:

              > And we all remember the furor when National announced they were
              dropping the signaling requirement:

              Actually, if you think about it, the First Class Scout requirments
              originally derived from what Baden-Powell determined were essential
              skills for a turn of the century miltary scout to know. Stalking,
              memorization of observations, sketch map making, map and compass,
              campcraft and flag signaling were all derived from this.

              But military technology has moved on. Following the logic to the
              extreme, perhaps our modern First Class Scouts should know the modern
              equivalents used by Rangers and USAF Combat Controllers. That would
              mean adding voice radio procedure, water filters, and GPS to the
              existing skills. Perhaps parachute and helo insertion, using night
              vision goggles, avoiding IED's and calling in precision guided
              munitions using laser designators might be a bit too much. But the
              kids would get a thrill out of it, much as kids in 1907 did with the
              equivalent skills learned from that period.

              Now that's a radical idea, but really no more radical than what kids
              were doing when they first found B-P's "Aids to Scouting" book during
              the Boer War and started playing soldier.

              73

              Gary Wilson, K2GW
              (Also a keen student of Scouting history)
            • Fred Stevens K2FRD
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 5, 2007
                Fun with a purpose. But when the requirements start including HALO jumps and rappelling out of perfectly good aircraft with us adults leading the way, then I'm out of here! :-D

                73 de Fred K2FRD

                At 3:28 PM +0000 5/4/07, Gary Wilson wrote:
                >--- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd@...> wrote:
                >
                >> And we all remember the furor when National announced they were
                >dropping the signaling requirement:
                >>

                >Actually, if you think about it, the First Class Scout requirments
                >originally derived from what Baden-Powell determined were essential
                >skills for a turn of the century miltary scout to know. Stalking,
                >memorization of observations, sketch map making, map and compass,
                >campcraft and flag signaling were all derived from this.
                >
                >But military technology has moved on. Following the logic to the
                >extreme, perhaps our modern First Class Scouts should know the modern
                >equivalents used by Rangers and USAF Combat Controllers. That would
                >mean adding voice radio procedure, water filters, and GPS to the
                >existing skills. Perhaps parachute and helo insertion, using night
                >vision goggles, avoiding IED's and calling in precision guided
                >munitions using laser designators might be a bit too much. But the
                >kids would get a thrill out of it, much as kids in 1907 did with the
                >equivalent skills learned from that period.
                >
                >Now that's a radical idea, but really no more radical than what kids
                >were doing when they first found B-P's "Aids to Scouting" book during
                >the Boer War and started playing soldier.
                >
                >73
                >
                >Gary Wilson, K2GW
                >(Also a keen student of Scouting history)

                Editor-Publisher
                "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
                No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.
                http://ocarg.org Subscribe: mailto:subscribe@...
              • J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 8, 2007

                  Gary and Fred,

                  Seems to me that we could have both the old and new requirements in a mix to obtain the desired results including some  basic climbing and rappelling, but of course we can leave out the HALO jumps!

                  Many of our Troop’s Scout do these things out of curiosity anyway!

                  We just need to keep them in line with Guide to Safe Scouting!

                  YIS,

                  Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

                  201.314.6964