Re: [ScoutRadio] kit source

  • Milt Forsberg
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 26, 2007
      Also, FAR Circuits has been most cooperative with Scout groups ordering
      in quantity. The link is below. I am not associated with them.

      Milt K9QZI
      Champaign IL

      http://www.farcircuits.net/

      barry whittemore wrote:
      > no problem. by the way, i found http://www.gibsonteched.com/main.html as a
      > source of many kits that are inexpensive and fun projects for anyone doing
      > the electronics MB
      > Barry
      > WB1EDI

    • Jon Pearl - W4ABC
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 26, 2007
        I'm sure he's making good use of the Internet for his fact finding missions.
        I'm afraid, though, there will come a time when the history on subjects such
        as these, might well become history themselves.

        Fraternally,

        Jon Pearl - W4ABC

        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 26, 2007
          At 9:37 AM -0400 26/3/07, barry whittemore wrote:
          >Some merit badges still require building things. I just finnished up the
          >Electronics MB with a few boys and that requires building electronic kits.
          >AH, solder smoke, how sweet it is.
          >barry
          >WB1EDI/KB1NH

          I taught Electronics MB at camp in summer 2005. I had a lot of fun teaching soldering and not just for the smell of solder flux. I told the Scouts that minor burns were an inevitable part of soldering and not to worry about the smell of burning skin. They actually took it as a point of pride when they invariably burned themselves. Sorta a red badge of courage. :-D

          Editor-Publisher
          "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
          No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.
          http://ocarg.org Subscribe: mailto:subscribe@...
        • Gary Wilson
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 30, 2007
            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Dana McRae" <w6dbm@...> wrote:

            > One a small point - Semaphore is a totally different method of
            > signalling (with it's own "code" (*not* Morse)) than "wigwag", which
            > *does* use Morse Code (to the "wagger's" R = Dot; to the L = Dash,
            as I recall).

            > "Wigwag" used a single, longer pole, usually with a flag at the end,
            > while semaphore required two flags, attached to much shorter poles.

            Correct. Either Semaphore or Wig Wag could be used to meet the First
            Class requirement in effect until 1972.

            Semaphore uses two diagonaly striped flags which are held in each
            hand. The position of the arms (like the hands of a clock) indicate
            the letter. For example, both arms stuck straight out at 9 o'clock
            and 3 o'clock is "R". The flags are just used to increase
            visibility. Navy signalman sometimes "talk" to each other just using
            their hands alone when ships are alongside.

            Wigwag was a way of sending Morse Code using a single flag on a long
            pole. A figure eight twirl to the senders right was a dot and a
            twirl to the left was a dash. Boy Scouts could remember this easily
            by thinking of their patrol emblem as a dot and their community (now
            Council) strip as a dash. The flag was brought to the vertical
            between letters.

            Two flags were available in a wigwag set to maximize the contrast
            against a given background; a white square on a red field and red
            square on white field. Only one would be used in a given situation.
            Th US Army Signal corps emblem consists of these two flags.

            It's still fun for kids to do and gives tham a purpose to build those
            signal towers.

            73

            Gary, K2GW
          • Fred Stevens K2FRD
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 30, 2007
              At 7:57 PM +0000 30/3/07, Gary Wilson wrote:

              >Correct. Either Semaphore or Wig Wag could be used to meet the First
              >Class requirement in effect until 1972.

              And we all remember the furor when National announced they were dropping the signaling requirement:

              • It would "cheapen" the First Class requirements so that ANYONE could become 1st Class.

              • The "old-timers" felt that the newby 1st Classes would demean those who had earned their ranks the hard way.

              • Morse Code and semaphore would become "dead languages", lost arts.

              • The signaling requirement was part of the tradition for becoming First Class, a tradition lost forever, wiped out with the stroke of a pen.

              • Once the hurdle of signaling was abandoned, everybody would become Eagles.

              • Everyone would want to become a Scout since the requirements were dumbed down. Why, even Girl Scouts would want to become Boy Scouts.

              • Emergency communications would suffer.

              --.../...--//./-//-.--/../...//-.././/

              ..-./.-././-..//-.-/..---/..-./.-./-..///

              :-D :-[ O:-) :-!

              Editor-Publisher
              "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
              No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.
              http://ocarg.org Subscribe: mailto:subscribe@...
            • Bill Stewart
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 30, 2007
                Gee, where have I heard that before??

                73,

                Bill Stewart, W2BSA

                Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:

                > At 7:57 PM +0000 30/3/07, Gary Wilson wrote:
                > >
                > >Correct. Either Semaphore or Wig Wag could be used to meet the First
                > >Class requirement in effect until 1972.
                >
                > And we all remember the furor when National announced they were
                > dropping the signaling requirement:
                >
                > • It would "cheapen" the First Class requirements so that ANYONE could
                > become 1st Class.
                >
                > • The "old-timers" felt that the newby 1st Classes would demean those
                > who had earned their ranks the hard way.
                >
                > • Morse Code and semaphore would become "dead languages", lost arts.
                >
                > • The signaling requirement was part of the tradition for becoming
                > First Class, a tradition lost forever, wiped out with the stroke of a pen.
                >
                > • Once the hurdle of signaling was abandoned, everybody would become
                > Eagles.
                >
                > • Everyone would want to become a Scout since the requirements were
                > dumbed down. Why, even Girl Scouts would want to become Boy Scouts.
                >
                > • Emergency communications would suffer.
                >
                > --.../...--//./-//-.--/../...//-.././/
                >
                > ..-./.-././-..//-.-/..---/..-./.-./-..///
                >
                > :-D :-[ O:-) :-!
                >
                > --
                > 73 and Yours In Scouting de Fred Stevens K2FRD, VO2FS
                > Editor-Publisher
                > Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group EAGLE newsletter
                > "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
                > No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.
                > http://ocarg.org <http://ocarg.org> Subscribe:
                > mailto:subscribe@... <mailto:subscribe%40ocarg.org>

              • Gary Wilson
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 5, 2007
                  --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd@...> wrote:

                  > And we all remember the furor when National announced they were
                  dropping the signaling requirement:

                  Actually, if you think about it, the First Class Scout requirments
                  originally derived from what Baden-Powell determined were essential
                  skills for a turn of the century miltary scout to know. Stalking,
                  memorization of observations, sketch map making, map and compass,
                  campcraft and flag signaling were all derived from this.

                  But military technology has moved on. Following the logic to the
                  extreme, perhaps our modern First Class Scouts should know the modern
                  equivalents used by Rangers and USAF Combat Controllers. That would
                  mean adding voice radio procedure, water filters, and GPS to the
                  existing skills. Perhaps parachute and helo insertion, using night
                  vision goggles, avoiding IED's and calling in precision guided
                  munitions using laser designators might be a bit too much. But the
                  kids would get a thrill out of it, much as kids in 1907 did with the
                  equivalent skills learned from that period.

                  Now that's a radical idea, but really no more radical than what kids
                  were doing when they first found B-P's "Aids to Scouting" book during
                  the Boer War and started playing soldier.

                  73

                  Gary Wilson, K2GW
                  (Also a keen student of Scouting history)
                • Fred Stevens K2FRD
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 5, 2007
                    Fun with a purpose. But when the requirements start including HALO jumps and rappelling out of perfectly good aircraft with us adults leading the way, then I'm out of here! :-D

                    73 de Fred K2FRD

                    At 3:28 PM +0000 5/4/07, Gary Wilson wrote:
                    >--- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> And we all remember the furor when National announced they were
                    >dropping the signaling requirement:
                    >>

                    >Actually, if you think about it, the First Class Scout requirments
                    >originally derived from what Baden-Powell determined were essential
                    >skills for a turn of the century miltary scout to know. Stalking,
                    >memorization of observations, sketch map making, map and compass,
                    >campcraft and flag signaling were all derived from this.
                    >
                    >But military technology has moved on. Following the logic to the
                    >extreme, perhaps our modern First Class Scouts should know the modern
                    >equivalents used by Rangers and USAF Combat Controllers. That would
                    >mean adding voice radio procedure, water filters, and GPS to the
                    >existing skills. Perhaps parachute and helo insertion, using night
                    >vision goggles, avoiding IED's and calling in precision guided
                    >munitions using laser designators might be a bit too much. But the
                    >kids would get a thrill out of it, much as kids in 1907 did with the
                    >equivalent skills learned from that period.
                    >
                    >Now that's a radical idea, but really no more radical than what kids
                    >were doing when they first found B-P's "Aids to Scouting" book during
                    >the Boer War and started playing soldier.
                    >
                    >73
                    >
                    >Gary Wilson, K2GW
                    >(Also a keen student of Scouting history)

                    Editor-Publisher
                    "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
                    No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.
                    http://ocarg.org Subscribe: mailto:subscribe@...
                  • J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 8, 2007

                      Gary and Fred,

                      Seems to me that we could have both the old and new requirements in a mix to obtain the desired results including some  basic climbing and rappelling, but of course we can leave out the HALO jumps!

                      Many of our Troop’s Scout do these things out of curiosity anyway!

                      We just need to keep them in line with Guide to Safe Scouting!

                      YIS,

                      Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

                      201.314.6964