RE: [SPAM] RE: [SPAM] RE: [SPAM] RE: [ScoutRadio] Signaling Merit Badge Requirements

  • J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 26, 2007
      DOH!
      I mis-read it...the good news is that is what we do!
      YIS,
      Gordon

      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 26, 2007
        no problem. by the way, i found http://www.gibsonteched.com/main.html as a
        source of many kits that are inexpensive and fun projects for anyone doing
        the electronics MB
        Barry
        WB1EDI

        >From: "J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT" <w2ttt@...>
        >To: <ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: RE: [SPAM] RE: [SPAM] RE: [SPAM] RE: [ScoutRadio] Signaling Merit
        >Badge Requirements
        >Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 15:16:39 -0000
        >
        >DOH!
        >I mis-read it...the good news is that is what we do!
        >YIS,
        >Gordon

        It�s tax season, make sure to follow these few simple tips
        http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/PreparationTips/PreparationTips.aspx?icid=HMMartagline
      • Gary Wilson
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 26, 2007
          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Pearl - W4ABC" <jonpearl@...>
          wrote:

          > Have you any insights into what your researcher's information is
          going to
          > culminate in?

          He's a graduate student majoring in the history of technology and is
          writing a paper on the development of rthe radio industry up to 1927.
          He found my radio merit badge web site and was interested in how
          Scouting might haved sparked interested in Radio in the youth of the
          era.

          73

          Gary, K2GW
        • Milt Forsberg
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 26, 2007
            Also, FAR Circuits has been most cooperative with Scout groups ordering
            in quantity. The link is below. I am not associated with them.

            Milt K9QZI
            Champaign IL

            http://www.farcircuits.net/

            barry whittemore wrote:
            > no problem. by the way, i found http://www.gibsonteched.com/main.html as a
            > source of many kits that are inexpensive and fun projects for anyone doing
            > the electronics MB
            > Barry
            > WB1EDI

          • Jon Pearl - W4ABC
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 26, 2007
              I'm sure he's making good use of the Internet for his fact finding missions.
              I'm afraid, though, there will come a time when the history on subjects such
              as these, might well become history themselves.

              Fraternally,

              Jon Pearl - W4ABC

              >> Have you any insights into what your researcher's information is
              > going to
              >> culminate in?
              >
              > He's a graduate student majoring in the history of technology and is
              > writing a paper on the development of rthe radio industry up to 1927.
              > He found my radio merit badge web site and was interested in how
              > Scouting might haved sparked interested in Radio in the youth of the
              > era.
              >
              > 73
              >
              > Gary, K2GW
            • Fred Stevens K2FRD
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 26, 2007
                At 9:37 AM -0400 26/3/07, barry whittemore wrote:
                >Some merit badges still require building things. I just finnished up the
                >Electronics MB with a few boys and that requires building electronic kits.
                >AH, solder smoke, how sweet it is.
                >barry
                >WB1EDI/KB1NH

                I taught Electronics MB at camp in summer 2005. I had a lot of fun teaching soldering and not just for the smell of solder flux. I told the Scouts that minor burns were an inevitable part of soldering and not to worry about the smell of burning skin. They actually took it as a point of pride when they invariably burned themselves. Sorta a red badge of courage. :-D

                Editor-Publisher
                "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
                No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.
                http://ocarg.org Subscribe: mailto:subscribe@...
              • Gary Wilson
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 30, 2007
                  --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Dana McRae" <w6dbm@...> wrote:

                  > One a small point - Semaphore is a totally different method of
                  > signalling (with it's own "code" (*not* Morse)) than "wigwag", which
                  > *does* use Morse Code (to the "wagger's" R = Dot; to the L = Dash,
                  as I recall).

                  > "Wigwag" used a single, longer pole, usually with a flag at the end,
                  > while semaphore required two flags, attached to much shorter poles.

                  Correct. Either Semaphore or Wig Wag could be used to meet the First
                  Class requirement in effect until 1972.

                  Semaphore uses two diagonaly striped flags which are held in each
                  hand. The position of the arms (like the hands of a clock) indicate
                  the letter. For example, both arms stuck straight out at 9 o'clock
                  and 3 o'clock is "R". The flags are just used to increase
                  visibility. Navy signalman sometimes "talk" to each other just using
                  their hands alone when ships are alongside.

                  Wigwag was a way of sending Morse Code using a single flag on a long
                  pole. A figure eight twirl to the senders right was a dot and a
                  twirl to the left was a dash. Boy Scouts could remember this easily
                  by thinking of their patrol emblem as a dot and their community (now
                  Council) strip as a dash. The flag was brought to the vertical
                  between letters.

                  Two flags were available in a wigwag set to maximize the contrast
                  against a given background; a white square on a red field and red
                  square on white field. Only one would be used in a given situation.
                  Th US Army Signal corps emblem consists of these two flags.

                  It's still fun for kids to do and gives tham a purpose to build those
                  signal towers.

                  73

                  Gary, K2GW
                • Fred Stevens K2FRD
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 30, 2007
                    At 7:57 PM +0000 30/3/07, Gary Wilson wrote:

                    >Correct. Either Semaphore or Wig Wag could be used to meet the First
                    >Class requirement in effect until 1972.

                    And we all remember the furor when National announced they were dropping the signaling requirement:

                    • It would "cheapen" the First Class requirements so that ANYONE could become 1st Class.

                    • The "old-timers" felt that the newby 1st Classes would demean those who had earned their ranks the hard way.

                    • Morse Code and semaphore would become "dead languages", lost arts.

                    • The signaling requirement was part of the tradition for becoming First Class, a tradition lost forever, wiped out with the stroke of a pen.

                    • Once the hurdle of signaling was abandoned, everybody would become Eagles.

                    • Everyone would want to become a Scout since the requirements were dumbed down. Why, even Girl Scouts would want to become Boy Scouts.

                    • Emergency communications would suffer.

                    --.../...--//./-//-.--/../...//-.././/

                    ..-./.-././-..//-.-/..---/..-./.-./-..///

                    :-D :-[ O:-) :-!

                    Editor-Publisher
                    "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
                    No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.
                    http://ocarg.org Subscribe: mailto:subscribe@...
                  • Bill Stewart
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 30, 2007
                      Gee, where have I heard that before??

                      73,

                      Bill Stewart, W2BSA

                      Fred Stevens K2FRD wrote:

                      > At 7:57 PM +0000 30/3/07, Gary Wilson wrote:
                      > >
                      > >Correct. Either Semaphore or Wig Wag could be used to meet the First
                      > >Class requirement in effect until 1972.
                      >
                      > And we all remember the furor when National announced they were
                      > dropping the signaling requirement:
                      >
                      > • It would "cheapen" the First Class requirements so that ANYONE could
                      > become 1st Class.
                      >
                      > • The "old-timers" felt that the newby 1st Classes would demean those
                      > who had earned their ranks the hard way.
                      >
                      > • Morse Code and semaphore would become "dead languages", lost arts.
                      >
                      > • The signaling requirement was part of the tradition for becoming
                      > First Class, a tradition lost forever, wiped out with the stroke of a pen.
                      >
                      > • Once the hurdle of signaling was abandoned, everybody would become
                      > Eagles.
                      >
                      > • Everyone would want to become a Scout since the requirements were
                      > dumbed down. Why, even Girl Scouts would want to become Boy Scouts.
                      >
                      > • Emergency communications would suffer.
                      >
                      > --.../...--//./-//-.--/../...//-.././/
                      >
                      > ..-./.-././-..//-.-/..---/..-./.-./-..///
                      >
                      > :-D :-[ O:-) :-!
                      >
                      > --
                      > 73 and Yours In Scouting de Fred Stevens K2FRD, VO2FS
                      > Editor-Publisher
                      > Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group EAGLE newsletter
                      > "The only regularly published ham-Scouting newsletter in the world."
                      > No spam, no cost, no advertisements, no commitments, just ham-Scouting.
                      > http://ocarg.org <http://ocarg.org> Subscribe:
                      > mailto:subscribe@... <mailto:subscribe%40ocarg.org>

                    • Gary Wilson
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 5 8:28 AM
                        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Fred Stevens K2FRD <k2frd@...> wrote:

                        > And we all remember the furor when National announced they were
                        dropping the signaling requirement:

                        Actually, if you think about it, the First Class Scout requirments
                        originally derived from what Baden-Powell determined were essential
                        skills for a turn of the century miltary scout to know. Stalking,
                        memorization of observations, sketch map making, map and compass,
                        campcraft and flag signaling were all derived from this.

                        But military technology has moved on. Following the logic to the
                        extreme, perhaps our modern First Class Scouts should know the modern
                        equivalents used by Rangers and USAF Combat Controllers. That would
                        mean adding voice radio procedure, water filters, and GPS to the
                        existing skills. Perhaps parachute and helo insertion, using night
                        vision goggles, avoiding IED's and calling in precision guided
                        munitions using laser designators might be a bit too much. But the
                        kids would get a thrill out of it, much as kids in 1907 did with the
                        equivalent skills learned from that period.

                        Now that's a radical idea, but really no more radical than what kids
                        were doing when they first found B-P's "Aids to Scouting" book during
                        the Boer War and started playing soldier.

                        73

                        Gary Wilson, K2GW
                        (Also a keen student of Scouting history)
                      • Fred Stevens K2FRD
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 5 8:20 PM
                          Fun with a purpose. But when the requirements start including HALO jumps and rappelling out of perfectly good aircraft with us adults leading the way, then I'm out of here! :-D

                          73 de Fred K2FRD

                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 8 9:20 AM

                            Gary and Fred,

                            Seems to me that we could have both the old and new requirements in a mix to obtain the desired results including some  basic climbing and rappelling, but of course we can leave out the HALO jumps!

                            Many of our Troop’s Scout do these things out of curiosity anyway!

                            We just need to keep them in line with Guide to Safe Scouting!

                            YIS,

                            Gordon Beattie, W2TTT

                            201.314.6964